Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac RT

I have always wanted a set of them. Always thought the tread pattern looked great. Loved the sidewall. Just love how the tire looks. More aggressive and tread not so closely spaced as other tires.

These are updated from the original Duratrac. Released this past fall. They now have a 3 ply sidewall and Kevlar construction. The tread has more siping which now goes full tread.

Getting a set of them in LT265/70/17 Load Range E. Do I need LT, no. Do I want them, yes. Did not like the squish on the P Grabber ATX. Also, never got the mileage out of the Grabbers. Apparently rated for 60k… I’m at 25k and they’re ready. Put the same set on the Suburban and we’ll eke out 30k with burning up the last months in the summer.

The jury is still out on these new Duratracs with them being so new. I’m thinking I’ll like them. Will go every 5k for rotations and if they don’t last. Get them prorated.

IMG_2961.jpg
IMG_2962.jpg
IMG_2963.jpg
IMG_2964.jpeg
IMG_2965.jpeg

I wonder if Continental uses a different rubber compound in the LT compared to P rated. I saw a lot of examples of long life out of the ATx(my own truck included)but they were all load range E.

The Duratrac should be a solid improvement in mud over the ATx.

The favorites tires among my group of Jeep/offroad buddies have been the BFG A/T and the Duratracs. The only two negatives we had with the Duratracs were the sidewalls seemed a bit thin (several friends had flats from sidewall punctures) and the price was high. At least this new design should help with the sidewall issues.

I wonder if Continental uses a different rubber compound in the LT compared to P rated.

Very likely. And it's very likely every brand does!

Ya' see, rubber is an amorphous material - that is, it isn't crystalline. Amorphous materials have a peculiar property in that they will permanently deform under stress - and the more the stress, the greater the deformation. It sometimes called " cold flow", but tire folks use the term "compression set".

LT tires carry more load than P type tires, so the rubber gets more stress. In order to deal with that, the rubber is made stiffer. But that means the rubber is more susceptible to cracking, so the inflation pressure is increased.

So LT tires use a different tread compound than P type tires - and that would apply regardless of who makes the tire.

Ya' see, rubber is an amorphous material - that is, it isn't crystalline. Amorphous materials have a peculiar property in that they will permanently deform under stress - and the more the stress, the greater the deformation. It sometimes called " cold flow", but tire folks use the term "compression set".

LT tires carry more load than P type tires, so the rubber gets more stress. In order to deal with that, the rubber is made stiffer. But that means the rubber is more susceptible to cracking, so the inflation pressure is increased.

So LT tires use a different tread compound than P type tires - and that would apply regardless of who makes the tire.
I know BF Goodrich even listed a KO2 DT for different tread compound in their LT tires. We were seeing Superduty trucks eating up a set of K02s pretty quick. So we were moving customers to the ATx and Toyo AT3 with good results from both. The Generals at the time were significantly cheaper.

I feel like all terrain is a hard segment to play in. Most customers truly just wanted a street tire with an aggressive look. Then you get a few farmers who need an MT but don’t want to listen to them howl or deal how terrible most of them perform in winter conditions. Very few walk in and say “ I want a tire that does everything ok but really doesn’t excell in anything!”

This right here is why I run E rated tires on everything (exept cars) they only cost like $50 more than the same tire in a P load rating, but they last a lot longer.

I'm fine with the harsh ride, but I don't have any back problems or anything that a harsh ride would make worse.

Got the tires yesterday, you can slightly feel the ride has changed, but nothing terrible. Similar to when I put E tires on my F150. Just a more “solid” ride feel.

Tires are quiet, ride smooth, no shakes, and look great! I’d say the Goodyear store did a decent job.

IMG_2993.jpeg

IMG_2992.jpeg

IMG_3003.jpeg

I had factory duratracs on my 2018 silverado 2500hd and switched to the ultraterrains. Those duratracs had a really bad reverberating hum between 25-35mph that faded out by 70mph, had the road noise from day 1 and it never changed through the life of the tire. Went with the ultraterrains because of the claim of them being optimized for road noise, theyre very quiet. I wonder if they used some of those optimizations for the new version of the duratrac, might have to give them at try when I'm due for tires.

The toyo RT's on the 2020 ram are pretty smooth for a really Gnarly AT .. even at 80mph.

They were amazingly "quiet" for the tread pattern too,
but I dont except that to continue after 10000 miles or so.
1704038974487.jpg

Back