Goodyear's reputation

I decided to get Continental DWS and had to go to Discount Tire. But I am trying to avoid them like a plague.
Every time I come from there, the first thing I do is take the torque wrench and check the wheels. Then pressure.
On Tuesday I got tires, and instead of pumping them 33/38, they pumped 45/49.
Do you only have one DT near you? - I changed to a less busy store and really a noticeable difference …

FWIW, I have had several sets of Goodyears during the years in Jeeps, Audi TT, Mondeos etc. Never had a single problem with tyres.

As soon as Mustang's suspension is sorted I will put a set of Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 on it.
Same - as for the good for one year comment - I won’t live with visible cracking and Michelins do that and chip on quartz based roads - so I get about the same life out of all of them …
Having a good run on Coopers so far …

Yea-Explorer drivers basically running around on under inflated tires-which caused the issues. Yes-the OEM tires had a low pressure from the factory-and when the tires were neglected and never checked-and the pressures went even lower-that's when the issues came in.
It was a bit more subtle than that. Ford specified a very low pressure. I owned a ‘96 Explorer, and the original door sticker was 26, IIRC.

So, even folks who checked were running very low.

I ran it at 32. I just felt it was too squishy at 26.

Also, those were Firestone tires. The combination of manufacturing problems (poor vulcanization and quality control) and very low specified pressure led to the tire failures.

in the early to mid 2000s i put two successive sets of walmart gy viva tires on a trusty ex-hertz 2004 toyota corolla le that i literally drove across the usa and then in eastern canada and the eastern u.s. for what i paid they did rather well in all kinds of weather and traffic, but i’m a conservative driver. the corolla is sadly gone, and after discovering discount tire i have a wider choice of attractively priced tires with better service.

Got 48 K miles on these Goodyears - lots of tread left, road noise isn't too bad, handles well in wet, and snowy conditions.

I'd certainly buy them again.

I got 59k from my last set of those - had good tread depth but the gravel roads were finally catching up on them …

It was a bit more subtle than that. Ford specified a very low pressure. I owned a ‘96 Explorer, and the original door sticker was 26, IIRC.

Also, those were Firestone tires. The combination of manufacturing problems (poor vulcanization and quality control) and very low specified pressure led to the tire failures.

Well yeah. Ford had different OEM tires on the Explorer which included Michelin and Goodyear models, and none of them had the tread separation problems of the Firestone tires with the same conditions. The 26 PSI was supposed to help improve what was otherwise a harsh ride. I don't believe there were many blowouts at 26 PSI.

I remember a 26 PSI recommendation (on 195/60R14 tires) for the 1989 Acura Integra RS that I drove through college. I thought it was rather low, but it handled well and the car had a 2300 lb curb weight.

Never had much luck with Goodyear tires. Some of the worst I’ve ever used were the Integrity, Eagle RS-A, and by far the worst Wrangler SR-A. They wore fast and had no traction in the rain whatsoever.

Never had much luck with Goodyear tires. Some of the worst I’ve ever used were the Integrity, Eagle RS-A, and by far the worst Wrangler SR-A. They wore fast and had no traction in the rain whatsoever.

The Eagle RS-A was possibly the most popular tire for police cars. Not sure why. I think police fleets would use a police-specific version.

The Eagle RS-A was possibly the most popular tire for police cars. Not sure why. I think police fleets would use a police-specific version.

Some agency’s did use a police spec tire. It was called the RS-A plus. It had a higher tread wear rating vs the standard RS-A. I think they were W speed rated as well.

I owned a 2004 P71 Crown Victoria for many years. It came with a set of those when I bought it. They are very expensive tires.

I read somewhere many years ago that the government got huge discounts on tires and that’s why they use Goodyear.

Edit: I just looked them up on Tire Rack and they still sell the plus version. They are 191 dollars a piece. The price has come down quite a bit from what I remember.

Last edited:

The way this works is that tires for police cars are purchased by purchasing agents that work in the bureaucracy of some government entity. They only care about price, so they want long wearing tires - and that's what they buy. Most tire manufacturers produce a "Police" version of their high performance tires that get fitted to common vehicles used by the police. Frequently these tires can only be purchased through the tire manufacturer's government sales department.

The RS-A was fitted from factory on the Crown Vics, at least for the final several years of production. They had quite long tread life, relative to their use.

The Firestone Firehawk Pursuit had noticeably better dry grip, but wore like erasers compared to the RS-A.

The sets of Goodyear tires that I have owned have been good products at fair prices. That's how I make purchasing decisions. I don't care what the company supports or doesn't support. I also drink beer that tastes good and is a good value and eat at that chicken place that got all that flack 10 or so years ago. I try not to let the TV tell me what to be mad about.
I do care what a company supports and often make buying decisions based on it. Publicly traded companies should really stick to business and not politics. Some are now learning that it can be costly to get too opinionated.

As far as GY tires go....some are awesome....some are not. I agree that for some reason OE tires are usually not so good.

I was just thinking about how Goodyear has a negative reputation to where no one really seems to recommend them on here and at what point they acquired the status as they to date have outlived all their domestic competitors in terms of being independent (not owned by tire companies from outside the US) by.a few decades (which if nothing else says they were at least doing something right). I was also curious on theories as to why their product has fallen short (what corner are they cutting basically).

I will say in my own experience I had excellent results with long life and respectable ride quality their older lines like the Goodyear integrity and Eagle GTII getting around 70 to 80,000 mi out of a set. They were decent in the snow, rain, and were relatively quiet. As far as where it went wrong for me was with the eagle LS2s which seem to last only 50,000 mi, spun with no effort in any condition, were loud, yet This line continued after those had been dropped for most vehicles. I haven't experienced the more recent versions of the assurance but I know both my father had a set of assurance triple treads and they from day one we're noisier than a set of mastercraft courser ( knobby treads), hydroplaned easily, and really weren't all that outstanding in snowy conditions, and we had to replace them at 45,000 miles. The other people I've known that have had assurance didn't have any outstanding experiences.

Some of the cars that I've test driven that came with The current Eagle line you can tell a dramatic difference between the brand new ones versus ones that have a year or two in a around 20,000 mi. .

Has anyone had any similar experiences with they were good at one point but then after a certain time they became bad or vice versa?
I haven't bought Goodyears in many years.
I'm pretty much sold on Hankook tires these days.

I do care what a company supports and often make buying decisions based on it. Publicly traded companies should really stick to business and not politics. Some are now learning that it can be costly to get too opinionated.

As far as GY tires go....some are awesome....some are not. I agree that for some reason OE tires are usually not so good.
I absolutely care what companies values are, as all good people do. I don't know what they do locked away in boardrooms and offices but what they publicly display determines if I support them or boycott them. Decent people don't support companies that are not decent. Good for you for being 'good decent people'.

I have OEM Goodyear Territory A/Ts as on my Ford F150. On of the best OEM tires I have experienced. Depending on pricing-I would defiantly replace them with the same.

I'm an outlier, my only experience with Goodyear was with their UltraGrip Ice WRT which were the best winter tires I've used. But that is, if I recall correctly, really a European tire first. Nothing in their lineup really interests me but if I find a set cheap, I'd try them.

Just my opinion but that lawsuit woman running these tires in mid summer texas heat with her unbuckled cousins packed into the explorer running super low pressure at high speed must had something to do with it, too. Any tire probably would have failed. Firestone was just unluckey it was their tires. Lawyer heaven...

Just my opinion but that lawsuit woman running these tires in mid summer texas heat with her unbuckled cousins packed into the explorer running super low pressure at high speed must had something to do with it, too. Any tire probably would have failed. Firestone was just unluckey it was their tires. Lawyer heaven...
Certainly there was personal liability for that person. But statistically, the Firestones were much more likely to fail than other brands. There was a vulcanization problem in the plant that made them. Yes, Ford bore responsibility for ridiculous pressures and yes, this woman bore responsibility for poor maintenance and poor safety practices, but Firestone still had some responsibility because their tires failed more often than Goodyears under the same adverse operating conditions.

Back