Buying tires online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
If you purchase before checking with DTD you may pay too much!

We buy a lot of tires here and they consistently give us the best delivered deal.

+1

Both my online tire orders were Discount Tire Direct, because they offered the lowest price. They have a smaller selection but generally lower prices when you add shipping.

Plus, DTD has multiple sales per year, generally around holidays. I ordered my last set of tires on Black Friday because all sets of tires were $50 off.

Last edited:
Man, I guess I'm not charging enough for tires. What you guys are paying online for tires before install is ridiculous.

As an example, I retail a 265/70R16 112S Nitto Terra Grappler for $189.65 installed before tax. However, DTD is retailing it at $184.00 free shipping before install.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 265/70R16 $231.50 installed before tax. $212 each before install from DTD and $209.00 each plus $154.56 shipping from TireRack before install.

The Goodyear Wrangler ProGrade Silent Armor 265/70R16 Load Range "E" is $246.50 each after install.

Whatever, I'm out.

Allow me to add fuel to the fire with a recent true story. As background, I work in the warranty end of a major tire manufacturer and this story is a direct result.

A consumer in Massachusetts bought a set of tires over the internet from a 4X4 shop in Florida. When he went to get the tires mounted, the shop damaged one of them – but the consumer thought the tire was defective from the factory. The consumer called OUR local dealer (different than who mounted the tires) to get a replacement – and that dealer refused to deal with the situation since not only did he not sell the tire, but he also didn’t mount it.

The consumer called the 4X4 shop in Florida (neglecting to mention that the tire was damaged in mounting) asking about warranty coverage. The 4X4 shop initially wanted the consumer to handle it up there in Massachusetts, but later sent a replacement tire and had the “defective” tire sent back via FedEx.

The consumer had to pay twice for mounting and now he is demanding that the 4X4 shop pay for the second mounting – and the 4X4 shop is demanding we (the tire manufacturer) reimburse him for both the tire and the second mounting – which we are not going to do.

There is a danger in using web retailers and folks need to go in with their eyes open.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Man, I guess I'm not charging enough for tires. What you guys are paying online for tires before install is ridiculous.

As an example, I retail a 265/70R16 112S Nitto Terra Grappler for $189.65 installed before tax. However, DTD is retailing it at $184.00 free shipping before install.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 265/70R16 $231.50 installed before tax. $212 each before install from DTD and $209.00 each plus $154.56 shipping from TireRack before install.

The Goodyear Wrangler ProGrade Silent Armor 265/70R16 Load Range "E" is $246.50 each after install.

Whatever, I'm out.

Sometimes the prices are handily beat, with shipping and install, by the online dealers, sometimes the prices are the same or worse.

Goes to show that it is important to be an educated consumer who is aware of the pricing structure and fair prices of stuff. Not hard to do...

Quote:

Whatever, I'm out.

Looks good. The question is, beyond those examples are your prices lower on every tire stocked/sold by DTD or TR? And if asked to get a tire not generally stocked will the total installed price be similarly lower as the examples listed? Sounds as though your shop would be a good independent alternative to buying online.

In this area though, the independents can't/won't/don't beat DT on lowest total cost. And, before DT came to the area, I never got the installation service or service after the sale I now get with DT. I've found no reason now to do business elsewhere.

For all the reasons listed by Capri, glad I don't have to decide about online purchase. I suspect as much as wouldn't prefer it, if I purchased online, a Wally install would be something I'd have to consider. It's also why TR's model can't match DT's b&m business model.

Generally, I agree. I don't think I've ever found a situation where it was cheaper for me to buy a set of tires online and get them installed separately than it was to simply buy tires from a reputable local brick & mortar store. Sometimes, local tire retailers are high, but many will price-match any price you can find.

And even if it IS more expensive to buy them locally, I find huge value in a face-to-face relationship, for the very reason that CapriRacer brought up, enough to overcome a reasonable difference in price between online and local. Sometimes you end up spending more in the end to save a few up front.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

Whatever, I'm out.

Looks good. The question is, beyond those examples are your prices lower on every tire stocked/sold by DTD or TR? And if asked to get a tire not generally stocked will the total installed price be similarly lower as the examples listed? Sounds as though your shop would be a good independent alternative to buying online.

In this area though, the independents can't/won't/don't beat DT on lowest total cost. And, before DT came to the area, I never got the installation service or service after the sale I now get with DT. I've found no reason now to do business elsewhere.

For all the reasons listed by Capri, glad I don't have to decide about online purchase. I suspect as much as wouldn't prefer it, if I purchased online, a Wally install would be something I'd have to consider. It's also why TR's model can't match DT's b&m business model.

Give me a size to run with.

^^^Based on that answer, sounds as though you would try. Good. Not living in Wyoming, it's moot point for me. But as I said, sounds as though your store would be a good option to buying online.

My last two tire purchases (for my 1999 Dodge 2500 and my 2006 Elantra) have been online from Discount Tire Direct. The prices were significantly lower than purchasing them locally, I could research and get exactly what I wanted, I didn't have to "negotiate" with local tire shops trying to get a reasonable price, and the tires were delivered to my doorstep without tax or shipping costs.

I took them to a local shop that, in addition to doing automotive work, sells tires and has mounting facilities. It cost less than $20/tire to get them mounted on the Elantra. Including the mounting/balancing, I saved about $100 over the cost of purchasing the Elantra tires locally. The shop mounted/balanced my pickup tires for free because the shop owner owed me a favor. Without including the mounting and balancing, the tires for the pickup saved me about $150 over local prices.

Buying tires online not only saved me money, but also saved a significant amount of time and hassle over running around checking prices from local tire shops. When it's time for new tires on my wife's Subaru, I won't hesititate to again purchase tire online.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
I bought 4 tires for my 911 from Tire Rack. all of them were out of round and required a lot of weight to balance. I would not buy from the again. I have found better deals locally.

And the conclusion is: Tire rack sells out of round tires?

Whatever, I'm out.

Man, you'd be a hard guy to find in my area. I would love to buy localy in my town but, there is no way any reputable tire shop can save me the money compared to buying tires online. Not apples for apples anyway!

I've had alot of tire stores want to sell me "a tire" for the same price OTD as compared to the better tire that I was looking at online(apples/oranges).

Every time I buy tires, I still shop localy 1st! Then I compare online and this is the way that I usually go!

OTD, I am saving $120-$150 per set of 4 tires installed with all of the features/extras that I want. I have never been a fan of RHW so, this isn't an issue. Although RHW isn't expensive really, I just don't buy it. I get everything else from my installer...Lifetime balance/rotation and flat repair!

as an example the last set of LTX MS2's we purchased from DTD were cheaper than the Tire Kingdom store mgr could buy them from his wholesaler!

Then we get special deals on mounting, etc. No sales tax, no delivery charges.

Like many others here we shop around by phone first, but DTD blows them away. We did have one defective tire and a UPS call tag was issued for it and I was promptly sent another tire and a credit for the mounting was posted on my CC.

Pretty hard to beat it.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I've had alot of tire stores want to sell me "a tire" for the same price OTD as compared to the better tire that I was looking at online(apples/oranges).

Yeah what's up with this. Say I want a Cooper and they say, well, I have a Dean and they're made by them. A who-what-now?
laugh.gif

I know it's impossible to stock many varieties when there are over a hundred sizes on the road now. But this is why choosy people choose mail-order.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
But this is why choosy people choose mail-order.

Or they simply go to a tire retailer who WILL get them what they want, and match the price of any online place.
wink.gif

It's obviously depends on the local tire stores in your area. If they won't work with you, online may be the best solution. If they will work with you, local may be the best solution. There's no single correct "answer" here.

I have no problems with shopping online but in the end I negotiate my best price with a local dealer to get the best price and go with them. That way I only have to deal with one person/company. So much nicer if there is a problem with the installation or product. Plus my business goes to the local guy in my community.

OK, go to "Town Square" with a car which came with 14's and NOW has BBS 16's on it and watch their eyes roll. "The computer says that's not the right size". Buy the tires by internet and BRING them in, most places won't care if you are NOT asking them to mount them on the car.

You can buy exacty what you want on the 'net, or you can listen to a guy who used to sell vacuum cleaners door to door tell you what you DON'T want because they don't have it in stock.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I have no problems with shopping online but in the end I negotiate my best price with a local dealer to get the best price and go with them. That way I only have to deal with one person/company. So much nicer if there is a problem with the installation or product. Plus my business goes to the local guy in my community.

While this statement is far from true always, it still resonates with me.

I always try and deal locally if possible. But on load range E truck tires, which we are always buying, I get a MUCH better deal online. And all aspects of the service are excellent in every way.

I've been visiting the small local shops this weekend, and quite honestly its been a waste of time. Some of the tires they seem to be pushing i've never heard of and just as expensive as name brands online. So im gonna research a couple more tires and pull the trigger over the labor day holidays when some sales kick in. Right now Tire Buyer,Tire Rack,Tread Depot and DTD are the most likely sources and im gonna look around for an installer with a good rep, the one I was gonna use looks a little sketchy so if I have to pay a little more so be it. Still looking at the B&M stores as well. All the feedback has been appreciated.

If you do buy tires online, check your local Walmart Tire&Lube for installation and balance, their price is reasonable and they do very good job, at least at my local Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back