Buying tires online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to buy from Tire Rack in the mid-90's. But now, after adding in shipping and mounting costs, to me....it is just not worth it.

My local Discount Tire ALWAYS beats any online price I can find. Plus they are absolutely great to deal with if I ever have any type of issue with my tires. I'm glad to give them my business.

I have purchased from Tire Rack in the past but it really is not worth it.

I would rather buy from my local guy because he has fair prices and great service..

Last edited:
Finally pulled the trigger on a new set. I just ordered a set of Cooper CS4,s from Tread Depot. You get get $40.00 off on any set of tires over $300.00 and Cooper has a rebate as well, mine is $50.00, my size is 225/60/16. I have a reputable installer set up at $40.00 so all told im spending $362.00, the best price i could get around town on these tires was $533.00, and all the info posted to this thread was most welcome thanks.

Originally Posted By: smoky66
Finally pulled the trigger on a new set. I just ordered a set of Cooper CS4,s from Tread Depot. You get get $40.00 off on any set of tires over $300.00 and Cooper has a rebate as well, mine is $50.00, my size is 225/60/16. I have a reputable installer set up at $40.00 so all told im spending $362.00, the best price i could get around town on these tires was $533.00, and all the info posted to this thread was most welcome thanks.

Well Done! You did your homework and you got yourself a highly rated & respected tire in a popular size at a really good price installed($10/tire).

I'm usually @~ $350-$450 installed(size dependent)including MFG Rebates and have been saving between $120-$150 on 4 tires by buying online and having them installed at W*M compared to buying the same tires/installed localy at one of our many national chains or local tire stores.

Good Job!

Last edited:
I hope everyone notes the thread below:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2756706&page=all

Tires were purchased through Tire Rack and there is a vibration. The OP (DirtyApe) was seeking (at the time this is written) a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force machine is see if the vibration can be fixed. The mounting dealer didn't have one.

This is the problem of buying tires on-line. If you have an issue, it can be way, way complicated to get a problem fixed.

CapriRacer, that is very understandable in DirtyApe's situation and I feel the pain!

Depending on the level of tires and vehicle, the owner needs to make a conscious decision on an installer when making these tire choices.

I too have listened to others complain when making $5,000 tire/wheel choices for a Porsche even though the tires/wheels were Road Force Balanced! It just happens sometimes, it's sad to say!

I've been pretty lucky thus far by buying online and having W*M install my tires. But, the tires that I am buying are standard touring replacement tires and I stay with the highly rated tires in my size(s)

I empathize with DirtyApe. I have purchaced tires localy in the past(til ~10 yrs ago) from local or national chains and have had the same balancing issues as DirtyApe. I have also purchaced wheels/tires packages from one of our favorite online tire stores(held in high regard here at BITOG) and too have had issues with balance. In either case, I had extra running around to do to get the balancing issue fixed. Even if I had to pay another installer their price to fix the problem, I still saved lots of money overall when buying online!

smile.gif
Like I stated, I'm in a good position with all of our tires in terms of their size(mostly 16"). So we have a nice variety of highly rated tire choices available at reasonable prices.

I'd hate to think about buying expensive 2**/45 or 35/18's or larger and have balancing issues.

Actually after reading through the post for DA's Potenza's and selling the Dunlop's, it seems as though DA has some room to work with to get the tires balanced in trems of cost.

Last edited:
Just to put a bow on this thread, I ordered the tires on Saturday and they were delivered on Tuesday [couple weeks ago], the tires were built on 03/18/12 and they just got installed. No problems with Treaddepot at all. FYI they have the Cooper rebate "mine was $50.00" and a website rebate of $50.00 "mine was $40.00 on the CS4 brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back