Buying tires online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've ordered from TR (once long time ago), DTD (several times recently), and Tread Depot. All were excellent. I ordered an ATV tire from Tread Depot. I needed to call them because I was shipping to a different location than my billing address. A human answered the phone immediately, and this same person helped complete my order. DTD also have always gone above and beyond.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Not to hijack, but is there any reason not to use a local shop?....I've bought online, but only as an absolute last resort. Most times, the price is the same.

If the price for tires at the local shop was the same as the online retailers then the online retailers wouldn't exist. They do exist and thrive because people are realizing significant savings.

I figure every cost when shopping for tires and I do call around to local shops for their price because once in a great while you will find a similar price and then the online deal doesn't make sense, but that is a rare occurence.

I typically save at least $40 on a set of four tires and sometimes over a $100.

Keith

I've found many local shops to match final price. Shipping makes the online guys much pricier.

Just got off work and thanks for all the replies. The tire sizes I need are 225/60/16 and 205/70/15.I have not ruled out the local shops except the Goodyear dealers, they want way too much, Discount tire has the Yokohama 580 that im looking at so any opinions on that tire would be welcome, Firestone had a buy 3 get one free sale going through the summer but it seems to be over. The Impala I drive the most so 225,s are the most urgent, I have Goodyear Integritys on it now and they are just about done. The Yokohama 580, Cooper CS4, Dunlop Sig. and maybe the Firestone Precision Touring are what ive been looking at. And full disclosure Made in the USA, is mandatory. One thing ive noticed about the local shops is they push the house brands or no name tires hard but not at any sort of discount.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I've found many local shops to match final price. Shipping makes the online guys much pricier.

Not the case, from my experience. Discount Tire Direct's prices already include shipping costs, and they're still lower than a lot of local places.

Just bought Yokohama AVID Touring-S in size 225/60-16 for LS400 couple months ago, the lowest price I could find was onlinetires.com, and DT/AT matches it.

If you're comparison-shopping the same tires that the local, chain tire stores stock, and put on sale or feature in their ads, then they may be able to meet or beat the online stores. Those tires are loss leaders. They create traffic for the store. They might be great tires, or not so great, but the local dealers take a loss on them to get you in the store and hopefully gain a regular customer. That can present a great opportunity for the person who isn’t all that particular about their tires. If you can get a tire you’re comfortable with at a good out-the-door price and not have to deal with the hassles of having tires delivered to your home and hauling them to a shop to be installed, then of course you’d buy locally.

The tires that I buy generally have specific performance characteristics that I value and prefer for the particular car they’re going on and the manner in which that car is driven. Typically my local tire shops don’t even stock those tires and on the rare occasion that they do it is such a low volume tire for them that they have to charge a lot. That’s where the Tire Rack and their ilk come in. The Tire Rack is in business because enthusiasts support the Rack’s decision to stock performance oriented tires, by buying those tires. I can buy exactly the tire I want at a price that local dealers can rarely match. Even with the delivery costs, mounting and balancing costs, my gas to transport the tires to a shop for installation, my time, etc., etc., I can still come out ahead, sometimes way ahead. So, of course I’d buy online.

But, each tire purchase is different. What worked on one occasion may not work the next. Do your homework and make the decision that makes sense for you.

Keith

Quote:
Just bought Yokohama AVID Touring-S in size 225/60-16 for LS400 couple months ago, the lowest price I could find was onlinetires.com, and DT/AT matches it.

Recently went to onlinetires.com, they've redone their website and it appears raised their prices too. Shipping prices (to me) seem to have risen substantially over the previous website. The Yoko Avid Touring S in the size I recently purchased is now $41 higher than TR. Wasn't that way a few months back.

But I agree DT/AT will match or beat any verifiable price quote, online or otherwise.

I feel the obligation to point out that folks selling tires over the internet do a rather poor job of dealing with customer issues - partially because they aren't directly involved with the mounting and balancing process - which has it's own issues - and partially because the customer is merely a voice on the phone.

I will tell you I have dealt with a lot of issues like this: Tires bought on the internet and the mounting dealer won't help.
Most of the time there aren't issues, but when there are, you need a brick and mortar store to help sort it out. Some issues are related to the tire itself, but many more are not. The mounting dealer is just not interested in help that sort of customer.

I've bought tires from almost all of the online retailers and haven't had any real problems.
I bought 2 tires from TireBuyer last year and they were nearly 2 years old when I received them (made in 2009). TireRack and Treadepot and Discount Tire Direct have always sent me 'fresh' tires.

Originally Posted By: smoky66
Getting old tires is one of my main concerns, my question is how old is too old?

If you order from a big online retailer that moves a lot of stock, I'd think the chances of getting an old tire would be lower than a local shop that moves less inventory.

The tires I've bought have all been "fresh."

Getting old tires is one of my main concerns, my question is how old is too old?

It's simple. At the time of placing an order (call them if you have to), make it very clear that you will refuse the shipment if the tires are older than 1 year. The store can easily check the mfg dates on tires before they ship them out to you.

How old will the tires be when you take them off ?

Tire date code + estimate of years on vehicle = estimate of the tires age when taken off vehicle

However, the question is, how were those tires stored before you got them ?
There is a right way and a wrong way to store tires.

I’d want the freshest set I could get and matching dates codes at that.

Of all the tire sets I’ve received from Tire Rack and Discount Tire I’ve never had a set that were older than nine months. And I’ve only had two sets that were not all the same date code.

The single most important part of a vehicle is the tires; don’t compromise on your tires. It isn’t worth it. Your life and the lives of others are riding on the tire choice you make.

Keith

During their Mother's Day $100 off a set of 4 sale, I bought a set of Goodyear Assurance ComfortTred tires in P225/60R16 from Discount Tire Direct.

Tires were manufactured 16th week of 2012.

Can't possibly get much "fresher" than that.

Quote:
Just got off work and thanks for all the replies. The tire sizes I need are 225/60/16 and 205/70/15.I have not ruled out the local shops except the Goodyear dealers, they want way too much, Discount tire has the Yokohama 580 that im looking at so any opinions on that tire would be welcome, Firestone had a buy 3 get one free sale going through the summer but it seems to be over. The Impala I drive the most so 225,s are the most urgent, I have Goodyear Integritys on it now and they are just about done. The Yokohama 580, Cooper CS4, Dunlop Sig. and maybe the Firestone Precision Touring are what ive been looking at. And full disclosure Made in the USA, is mandatory. One thing ive noticed about the local shops is they push the house brands or no name tires hard but not at any sort of discount.

I put Goodyear Assurance Touring from Sam's Club on my previous '06 Impala (225/60/16 size). Less than $500 out the door and that included free lifetime rotations. Tires were nice, quiet, and smooth. Better than the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires (done at 25K mles), and better than the 1st replacement set of General Altimax RT (also done after 25K miles.) I put the Sam's Club Goodyears on at 50,000 miles and traded the car when it had 60,000 miles on it. Tires still looked brand new with 10,000 miles on them.

My current car needs tires, and I plan to purchase online. The size is not common, so it is easier to have the tires shipped to my house and have the dealer install them for me (which they said they would happily do for $20 per tire.) I have used Tire Rack and Tread Depot in the past. Been happy with both, although Tire Rack's customer service lately has been less than optimal. Tread Depot sells Cooper Tires, a line that Tire Rack does not carry.

I've pretty much decided on the cooper CS4 or the Firestone Precision Touring, Tread Depot has the 225/60/16,s for $364.00 with the current $40.00 rebate so I have to call them to find out when it ends. I showed that quote to one one of the local shops and they said they cant match it. I'm gonna see if pep boys will but i doubt they will either, discount tire might but who knows. The Firestone one of the locals offered me $466 out the door and tire buyer has them for $400, so maybe i will pay a little more and use the locals, doubt it but its a consideration.

If you purchase before checking with DTD you may pay too much!

We buy a lot of tires here and they consistently give us the best delivered deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back