Buying a 2013 or 2014 Mercedes E-350...Change my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Toros
Well it's been a bit since I started this thread but we closed the deal on a replacement vehicle. Went a route I didn't think we would. Tried an Audi A6 2016...very nice. No deal though. Test drove two 2016 Lexus ES 350.... one was a, dealer CPO... I'm now convinced that CPO is, a dealer scam. Ended up buying a 2016 ES 350 from a local Carmax. 22,000 miles. $200 admin fee plus taxes, tags.
It was a fair price with zero hassles. The local Lexus dealers suck but their service departments will have to do as there is still a year left on the fact warranty.

I'm impressed with the quality of the product.

Yes, when in doubt take a test drive. Sounds like you made the best decision possible with that choice. Congrats!

A beautiful car.

Originally Posted by edyvw
ES350 is an Avalon. A very different car.

No it's not. It is bigger than Camry, but it is same platform and transverse engine. Camry/Avalon/Highlander/Sienna, are all made on same platform.
You can put so much sound insulation etc. the fact is that ES350 has transverse engine. IMO, in luxury segment that is big NO. There is a reason why GS for example has longitudinal engine and not transverse.

The Avalon is a big comfy couch going down the road and is way way nicer than a Camry.

I daily drive a 16' Avalon most days to work, about 300 miles each week.

My wife has owned 2 Avalon's and currently owns a Lexus certified 2013 ES350. Quiet as a tomb and as dependable as a hammer. Her car has been back to the dealership only for free oil changes, free washes and detail, and free Starbucks coffee in the customer lounge.
cool.gif
You made a fine choice!

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by edyvw
ES350 is an Avalon. A very different car.

No it's not. It is bigger than Camry, but it is same platform and transverse engine. Camry/Avalon/Highlander/Sienna, are all made on same platform.
You can put so much sound insulation etc. the fact is that ES350 has transverse engine. IMO, in luxury segment that is big NO. There is a reason why GS for example has longitudinal engine and not transverse.

The Avalon is a big comfy couch going down the road and is way way nicer than a Camry.

I daily drive a 16' Avalon most days to work, about 300 miles each week.

That is probably most accurate description. That is how it drives too.

I'm a little late to the party considering the OP purchased a car already but figure I would toss in my 2 cents.

The '11 in my signature has just a hair shy of 85k miles - purchased it with ~76k on it last year. Took advantage of the horrific depreciation curve of luxury cars.

I do need new engine mounts (this stretches across all MB lines and is a known "issue") - other than that I had to replace the electronic accelerator pedal which was IIRC ~$200 and maybe 5 mins of my time.

It is a superb car though and I think a lot of the engineering and testing happened after the stormy Chrysler days that saw a huge decline in quality in the MB brand. The W212 was the return of "The Best or Nothing" IMO. The car is a total tank, the ride is quite smooth and comfortable (considering the 18" low profile shoes) but handling is supremely confident, albeit having the older and lower powered M272 @ 268 HP this thing just keeps accelerating confidently into triple digit speeds. Despite my car now being 9+ years old and living its first 8 some odd years in NYC (yes in the city - regularly serviced at MB of Manhattan) it is tight as a drum and except for some visible corrosion patina on the aluminum engine parts there is no visible rust on any of the under body components.

Honestly the only real known common issues with the W212 are fading wood trim, MB-Tex seats ripping apart and weak engine mounts. Nothing that will leave you stranded. Yes the wood trim and engine mounts are pricey - the wood trim honestly I did not notice until someone pointed it out, the engine mounts will be good for another 75k once I get them done.

I cannot even express how pleased I am with my W212 - I will be hanging onto this car as long as it is economically feasible to keep it. It honestly reminds me so much of my '86 300E in its vault like feel so I have a feeling I will be hanging onto it for awhile.

Congrats!

We have a '16 E400 that has been reliable so far, only about 40K miles at this point. We previously had an '05 E320 CDI that we put about 110K miles on before selling. It had a few of the normal issues for that car handled by the dealer under warranty. The issues we had to pay for were motor mounts and a lazy headlight. Our current E400 feels more sporty and less tank-like than the old one. I'm not sure about the twin turbos for long term reliability, but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back