Building my own shed with patio

A while ago I decided we needed a shed. I went on the tuff shed website and realized you could build a pretty neat patio on one too, this would mean I don't have to rebuild our patio table and get a new umbrella, we can sit on the porch. Best of all, I can run water, gas, power, air, networking to it

Here is what I had in mind

1697503101488.png

The problem is that, I want it more wide than long, and Tuff Shed has no way to do that. So I decided to build it myself. Overall footprint will be 16 x 17, with the shed being 16 x 12 and a 5 foot patio.

Forms and rebar done (Not by me) and concrete truck gets here tomorrow. No turning back now!

I would love to do the concrete myself, but a short load and 300ft off the street gets expensive real fast. I will keep posting as I go

16x17 slab, 4 inches with rebar, thicker on the edges, with 4 x 18x18x18 footings on the corners of the shed. 4000PSI Min, fiber reinforced, 5 inch slump

1697503204148.jpeg

1697503232991.jpeg

1697503241469.jpeg

1697503252101.jpeg

Trenching to the garage is about 70ft, and I'm doing the following

1/2 PEX for Air
3/4 PEX for Water (Probably won't connect for a while, probably don't even need, but if there is a trench....)
1-1/4" PVC for 60a sub panel (I want to be able to weld) and 15a UPS backed circuit from garage for networking
1 Inch Poly gas line for grill, portable generator, heater if needed, etc (Or maybe smaller going 2PSI and regulator? Unsure)
3/4 PVC for a run of single mode fiber all the way into the house
3/4 PVC for future possible solar panels

Already sourced the network switch to go in there. Will provide networking and power for a a WiFi Accesspoint (Ruckus R650) and some IP Cameras. Switch just happens to be the same brand as the AP's, nothing in that. Switch is actually Brocade and rebranded Ruckus anyway

1697503526597.jpeg

320ft of Fiber is on the way, will be pulled through the conduit, into the garage, across to the breezeway, into the attic and down to my network rack

Next problem to tackle, is how to get all the conduit to terminate at this wall. I'm thinking a gutter along the bottom, and then wiring on the other side (Garage is unfinished)

1697503935793.jpeg

Depending on how we end up using it, I'll be installing a Mini Split for sure. Even if we almost never use it, would be good to have it in there!

I got a 33 SEER 9K Fujutsu BTU Unit in the house and it fantastic, will probably do the same

Think so? I wasn't sure I'd need it for air

But, if I'm running 3/4 for water anyway, it would make purchasing easier

Next question, does red PEX make the air go faster?
red is no faster, but some coloring techniques make the pipe not last as long........go with white only use some blue electrical tape on the water so you know which is which later when you are digging a hole for a tree and send a shovel a bit too far.

use 3\4 for both water and air, 3\4 will carry more volume for air tools

red is no faster, but some coloring techniques make the pipe not last as long........go with white only use some blue electrical tape on the water so you know which is which later when you are digging a hole for a tree and send a shovel a bit too far.

use 3\4 for both water and air, 3\4 will carry more volume for air tools

Yeah my house is actually full of the Uponor red and blue from that time range, now they only sell clear Uponor. So far so good, I suspect a lot of it was new builds being exposed to UV (At least that's what I tell myself)

I'm tempted to run the PEX in conduit, think thats overkill? should be shovel friendly then

Yeah my house is actually full of the Uponor red and blue from that time range, now they only sell clear Uponor. So far so good, I suspect a lot of it was new builds being exposed to UV (At least that's what I tell myself)

I'm tempted to run the PEX in conduit, think thats overkill? should be shovel friendly then
No not in conduit, over kill yes, but if you are worried, you can wrap it with pipe insulation, 1\2 wall armaflex, and duct tape the connections for extra protection. Conduit can be difficult to pull through, and if the lines are protected from rocks and such, you should never have an issue. 1 1\2 conduit is expensive these days.

The uponor issue is not so much with UV, as the flame system they used to make the colored "paint" adhere to the pipe.

I am thinking that the gas line needs to run in its own pipe conduit. Having the electric and gas in the same trench might demand it.

When burying the lines be sure to lay down a warning cover for future digging.

I am thinking that the gas line needs to run in its own pipe conduit. Having the electric and gas in the same trench might demand it.

When burying the lines be sure to lay down a warning cover for future digging.

I don't think it does, I was planning on using this (In a different size) which is direct bury

I don't think it does, I was planning on using this (In a different size) which is direct bury

The line is okay. It’s the fact that the electric will be in the same ditch.

I don't think there is an issue here, if there is the plumbing and electrical inspectors here missed it. The 2PSI gas line to my generator comes up right next to it and no one ever questioned it

Perhaps though I'll put it on the other side of the trench, just in case!

Armaflex, now Armacell, contains plasticizers and oils. This can soften plastic lines. Use PE foam insulation instead. Pure PE with no plasticizers. Your local hardware folks can help you out with this.

Armaflex, now Armacell, contains plasticizers and oils. This can soften plastic lines. Use PE foam insulation instead. Pure PE with no plasticizers. Your local hardware folks can help you out with this.
That type of insulation has been used on PEX and CPVC for 30 years+. It is specified by architects and inspections on nearly every job in NC that requires some kind of insulation. I have been plumbing cumulative time for 20 years 10 of which as a licence holder, and have never seen anything to suggest that your comment is true, or at least it has any bearing on the longevity of PEX.

I think you are refering to the rubbverized type of pipe insulation.

this is what I am suggesting: https://www.reece.com/product/nomaco/insulation/MSC-505895

7\8 size will fit over 3\4 pex nicely, 1\2 wall thickness is all that is needed to protect from rocks and such.

Nomaco is PE insulation. I worked in the Armaflex business for years and there were difficulties with Armaflex (PVC/nitrile rubber/plasticizers) on ABS and other plastic pipes. Just be safe and follow your own suggestion!!!!

I need something like this but I'm not sure if we will be in our current house for long. Each time I have done projects like this we have moved and there has been no return on the investment :(

Slab poured, came pretty good. The guys did a good job. They did run into one hiccup which was that the batch plant added much more fiber than they usually do, making it a little harder to finish. They had to trowel and broom it a few times. Personally I think it looks good, and more fiber doesn't sound like a bad problem to have

1697568714008.jpeg

1697568745352.jpeg

1697568759341.jpeg

I'm not a concrete nerd, but here is the sheet incase anyone is

1697569089888.jpeg

Back