New Shed

I just had a new 8' X 12' shed built this past weekend. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it. They did a nice job. They were a father & son team. Now I want to paint and seal the floor. And I've got an electrician coming out this Thursday to give me an estimate on having some power run out to it.

Nothing fancy, just a couple of outlets for ceiling lights, and a few 110 outlets with a switch. The picture is kind of dark, but you can see the power box on the right side in the rear. That's where he'll have to tap into. It's a switched 30 Amp outlet originally for an RV.

I'm hoping I can get the floor painted by then. Anyone have any experience on guessing about how much this type of electrical work will cost? The local electrician I called said it was basically time plus materials.

I can't start putting anything in it until I get everything done. I also want to hang some shelving, etc. This is going to free up a lot of garage space. Especially after I get my generators, and other power equipment out there. I have some nice Aluminum ramps coming from Amazon later this week.

I want to eventually skirt the lower base with something, just to clean up the look a bit, and keep the rabbits, roadrunners, and other assorted critters from going under it. I just can't find what I'm looking for. It's 7" from the concrete to the lowest part of the siding. I would prefer something metal over plastic. Only because in the Summer it will get hit with the midday Sun, and metal will hold up better.

J4cnGVX.jpg

That's really nice! Love the doors, nice soffits, etc.

Your climate is totally different than mine, but I like to leave breathing room under my sheds. Plus it allows you to blow out the underneath with a leaf blower, etc.

I used to have a local fella who would build build custom sheds onsite for you for a very reasonable price as side work. Long time ago though.. He's got to be long retired.

I know how I'd extend the power to the building (which is the biggest problem), just from that picture.

Unfortunately, not knowing what your local codes require... how I'd would do it likely don't matter.

Wiring up some lights and outlets on the inside is as simple as it gets.

Also... now is the time to think about an exterior light on the front (something dusk to dawn to illuminate your backyard) and an exterior outlet with a weatherproof cover on the front or side as well.

Just to play devil's advocate, would a solar cell on the roof avoid the cost of running power out to it? I presume you want lighting and maybe an outlet to run a battery tender, but much anything else?

Not suggesting anything expensive, if anything it's to avoid the expense.

Diamond plate FTW! Nice having the pad for your shed. How do shingles hold up there Bill?

His local code may not allow dusk to dawn lights that are visible on neighboring lots, ours doesn't.

That's really nice! Love the doors, nice soffits, etc.

Your climate is totally different than mine, but I like to leave breathing room under my sheds. Plus it allows you to blow out the underneath with a leaf blower, etc.
I was thinking about that as well. It would look nice to close it off, but I think it would be better to allow an airflow to exist as well. I could try some screening material? I'm just thinking out loud for down the road. Right now I need to get the painting and electrical work done.

Diamond plate FTW! Nice having the pad for your shed. How do shingles hold up there Bill?

His local code may not allow dusk to dawn lights that are visible on neighboring lots, ours doesn't.
They hold up pretty well. You just have to be careful walking on them in the hottest part of the Summer. You can leave marks. If I have to go up, I try to do it at first light, well before the heat of the day. This time of year it doesn't matter. It's going to be in the 50's and lower 60's all week.

I know how I'd extend the power to the building (which is the biggest problem), just from that picture.

Unfortunately, not knowing what your local codes require... how I'd would do it likely don't matter.

Wiring up some lights and outlets on the inside is as simple as it gets.

Also... now is the time to think about an exterior light on the front (something dusk to dawn to illuminate your backyard) and an exterior outlet with a weatherproof cover on the front or side as well.
The "codes" here are pretty liberal. You can pretty much do as you like, just as long as you don't create an obvious dangerous condition. The shed itself didn't require any permit as long as you keep it under 200 sq. ft. That's 10' X 20'. Mine is only 8' X 12', (96 sq. ft.).

Reactions: JTK
Mind saying what it cost ? We bought a factory-built shed last year and they delivered it with the coolest trailer I've ever seen. We can now park 2 cars in our 2-car garage ! 🙄 Imagine that !! 🤪

Nice looking shed!

Is it anchored to the concrete pad? I'm guessing the electrician won't want to run wiring to it unless it's secured to the ground.

Based on past electrical work I've had done, adding a couple of 110 receptacles will probably run you $250-350, assuming the electrician can simply tap into the RV outlet that's there.

Since your shed has high walls, I would consider building a loft which will greatly increase the storage capacity of your shed. It's what I did with my 8X12 shed. I didn't run electrical to mine.

A light and a couple of receptacles is not rocket science . Surely you know somebody competent enough to pull that off .

They are typically Amish built.
Mine is "Amish" built and the guy we bought it from kinda rolled his eyes and did air-quotes when he said it. 😂 It was built over east of you and honestly seems really well-constructed, solid, etc. Places like Lowes, Home Depot, etc weren't even selling wood (or plastic) sheds post-Covid when we were looking.

Back