New Shed

I wouldn't bother with the roof vent turbines they build today and I think you'd be in the same situation. I wonder if you used fresh air in vents from the floor or very low at the rear wall, in conjunction with your wall fan. That might work better than just drawing hot air across the hottest area of the shed?

Nice shed. I don’t personally see the benefit of sealing the floor, especially in a hot and dry climate.

My parents shed which was put up in 1985 still has a fine floor. My shed which is maybe 10 years old is fine too. And we’re in wetter climates.

I don’t think that skirting will stop much. Small varmints can still squeeze in, and big ones can either go under or do damage. I had a few woodchucks under our shed, so I got rocks and put them under there. The next step was going to have to be chicken wire dug into the ground.

Neither mine or my parents’ shed has electrical/lights. We get along just fine. It’s not a spot to live in. I’d forego it unless there already is electric to the concrete pad. Otherwise the cost of getting electric there would imo be far worse than any utility possibly gained. If electric can be easily found/connected, the installation of a few outlets and lighting is beyond easy.

That’s all old stuff though. Not sure what your outcome was.

Our sheds have louvered vents that work well, even in direct sun in the summer. My one garage however, gets nasty hot for some reason. What I got was a good quality bathroom fan, mounted it way up on the rafters, ran a vent hose to the outside, and run it on a timer in the hottest part of the day.

Last edited:
I wired my shed with an RV shore power inlet plug. I when I want power out there I run a 30 amp 10 gauge cord out to it from an RV outlet on my house. Totally not kosher, but it's safe and since there is no permanent power installation, I'll likely never get in trouble for it.

Similar to this
I used something very similar. Inside I went with heavy gauge extension cords, and attached 2, 4' long power strips. One in front, and one in the back. Like you, not exactly code, but it's not a disaster waiting to happen either.

The biggest "violation" you could say I have, is I have 30 amps going to outlets. That's a no no. Code says no more than 20. But if I ever need to pull more than 20 amps, I'll just do it at the post. Like when I hook up my welder. I would weld outside anyway.

I can kill power to the entire shed at the post, which is nice. I don't have to go to the panel and pull any breakers.

I wouldn't bother with the roof vent turbines they build today and I think you'd be in the same situation. I wonder if you used fresh air in vents from the floor or very low at the rear wall, in conjunction with your wall fan. That might work better than just drawing hot air across the hottest area of the shed?
I thought of that. It would be easy and cheap to do. Right now I'm just kicking around ideas. I still have a couple of months before the heat kicks in.

Reactions: JTK
We have a building contractor who shoots at our gun club. I talked to him this morning and he said the whirlybird vents are good. But he said to be sure to buy one that has greasable bearings. (Zerk fittings).

He said if you don't, the sealed bearings in the cheaper models dry out in just a few years. Then they squeak like hell, and don't spin as freely, if at all. Our super high temperatures make them dry out even faster.

What have neighbors done / can you see their sheds to tell ? Do you plan to work inside this shed or just store stuff? I don't remember what you said, if you did, at the beginning of this thread.

I think - someone will correct me if I'm wrong - those turbine vents need a breeze or wind to work or at least work better. The rotation creates a "draw" that pulls the air out. In your climate (a lot of sun), could you use a solar-powered exhaust fan like the one shown ? If you end up with an AC-powered one, I'd see about connecting it to a thermostat so it only runs when the temperature reaches Xº F. That's what we had in my childhood home in the 3rd-floor attic.
It's just for storage. But I'm going to be keeping all of my gas powered equipment out there. Generators, power blowers, chain saws, and the like. The high heat won't do the fuel any good. I doubt that anything else would be a problem.

I used something very similar. Inside I went with heavy gauge extension cords, and attached 2, 4' long power strips. One in front, and one in the back. Like you, not exactly code, but it's not a disaster waiting to happen either.

The biggest "violation" you could say I have, is I have 30 amps going to outlets. That's a no no. Code says no more than 20. But if I ever need to pull more than 20 amps, I'll just do it at the post. Like when I hook up my welder. I would weld outside anyway.

I can kill power to the entire shed at the post, which is nice. I don't have to go to the panel and pull any breakers.

Do the 4’ long strips have an internal circuit breaker? Many do…

Back