Breakfast gramps style

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gramps has a very large breakfast every day. My grandmother told him for 50 years, until she died, it would kill him. Now his girfriend tells him the same. They came to visit me and this is what he had this morning: The Heart Stopper: Half a pound of smoked bacon, four large sausage inks, two fist-size potatoes, sliced and fried, four scrambled eggs with a handful of shredded cheese, four slices of toast with butter, a large glass of milk, a slice of cake and a couple cups of coffee. He ate an apple for lunch and dinner is liquid. He will be 89 this month. He just went to bed. I suppose he's digesting his breakfast that he had at 6:00 am this morning.
grin2.gif

He moves around alright. I can barely keep up with him. Two hours after sundown he just shuts down until the crack of dawn.

Long life is all genetics.. My Grandma made it to 95 years old before she died and would eat fat from meat and bacon, drink wine and enjoyed life. I had her a long time. I miss her though.

Very impressive. Must have been a farmer or did a very physical job.

My grandmother fried everything in butter, ate what she wanted, took the pills she liked and forgot about the ones she should take and still lived to 86. She had breast cancer in her early 60's but she decided that was not going to affect her lifestyle. Go figure?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Long life is all genetics.. My Grandma made it to 95 years old before she died and would eat fat from meat and bacon, drink wine and enjoyed life. I had her a long time. I miss her though.
not necessarily.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
He just went to bed. I suppose he's digesting his breakfast that he had at 6:00 am this morning.
grin2.gif

Reincarnated python?
laugh.gif

My Dad is 81, has smoked cigarettes since he was 14 and still rides road and dirt bikes almost every day and doesn't really eat super healthy. The key to longevity is primary in the genes, and by keeping active.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Very impressive. Must have been a farmer or did a very physical job.

anthropologist

One or two data points do not a trend make.

There are also a lot of elderly folks who don't slog down fat laden, carb heavy, calorie dense meals and are still active. My dad is 94 and eats fairly healthy (far better than your grandfather). He also still farms actively, and this fall was running both the combine and tractor/grain trailer.

I too am an avid advocate of healthy eating. At 71 I still jog on a regular basis, my 60-something wife and I walk at least 15 or 20 miles on the local trails each week, and weather permitting we bicycle 40+ miles each week on the trails. However, my normal breakfast consists of a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice, a scrambled egg, and a bowl of steel cut oatmeal.

I can't imagine slogging down the slop your grandfather does.

It does seem excessive but from the description, the big breakfast is his main meal.

As long as calories used are similar to calories consumed, I see no problem. I have a feeling that all this saturated fat/cholesterol linked to heart disease theories are not very accurate or complete.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
One or two data points do not a trend make.

There are also a lot of elderly folks who don't slog down fat laden, carb heavy, calorie dense meals and are still active. My dad is 94 and eats fairly healthy (far better than your grandfather). He also still farms actively, and this fall was running both the combine and tractor/grain trailer.

I too am an avid advocate of healthy eating. At 71 I still jog on a regular basis, my 60-something wife and I walk at least 15 or 20 miles on the local trails each week, and weather permitting we bicycle 40+ miles each week on the trails. However, my normal breakfast consists of a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice, a scrambled egg, and a bowl of steel cut oatmeal.

I can't imagine slogging down the slop your grandfather does.

I imagine most people would do better on a diet like yours, although I imagine you don't cycle 40 miles on your breakfast either.
It seems BRZED's gramps is doing well on a carnivore style diet of eating a large amount at once for the day, and you are eating in more of a grazer/omnivore way with many smaller meals spread out.
I guess that's our advantage as an omnivore, we can do well in many different conditions.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: BRZED
dinner is liquid.

Let me guess: a 5th of whiskey?
grin.gif

He has a few beers. He never drank hard liquor.

My fraternal grandfather used to eat like that at breakfast. He lived until around 76. He was a boilermaker for a railroad.

My definition of Heavy Metal!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
He was a boilermaker for a railroad.

My definition of Heavy Metal!

come on , my BITOG brother, do tell more. (my stepdad built from scratch and maintained heating boilers for the company he worked for)

my stepdad, could out eat my mom and me (growing teenager, 6'2" 190#) at one dinner.
favorite food, stuffed cabbage with sour cream.
he worked all his life in various trades (favorite being painting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back