Pre-run breakfast and breakfast

Before my five mile run around the lake I have a small breakfast consisting of oatmilk, rolled oats, chopped dates, goldenberries (they are NOT raisins), blueberries (fresh or frozen), and almonds. I will usually eat this cold because I don't really care for hot cereals but during the cold season I will heat it. During my run I drink bottled water. After my run I have a cold shower and eat a smallish breakfast because I know I'll have something else before lunch. This morning I had scrambled eggs with sliced, grilled chicken bread, sliced tomatoes, and toast with butter and blackberry jam and Scottish breakfast tea.Those of you who do some exercise in the morning, I run at the crack of dawn, how do you handle nutrition?

Pre-run not yet heated

Pre-run heated

Post-run

Looks great I really like the post run meal. Question do you feel you get a better run in fueled than just doing the 5 mile fasted. I have always felt better workouts when fueled a bit.

I prefer to have something in my stomach before execising. I can run on an empty stomach but I might go overboard with breakfast afterward.

Steel cut oats (overnight is best), some kind of berry (raspberry, blueberry, cranberry, etc), a little lump of brown sugar, milk.

I eat half before morning exercise and half after.

A spoonful of this to get "I'm hungry" out of my brain before I get on the bike for a half hour:

Then on weekdays at this time of year, steel cut oatmeal (previously made and reheated) with hemp hearts, some fresh banana, cacao nibs, unsweetened shredded coconut, pecans, and either coconut milk or cow's milk.

Everything looks great to eat but I can't stomach oats they tear up my digestive track and have too much round up in them .

Never could run immediately after eating anything, would get the side stitch cramp thing every time. Can't remember ever eating uncooked rolled oats.
Stitches can happen when your spleen bumps into your liver. I guess your stomach pushes your liver or spleen after you have eaten. I don't eat much before running. 1-1/2 handful of food.

Everything looks great to eat but I can't stomach oats they tear up my digestive track and have too much round up in them .
You can buy pesticide-free oats. Also non-GMO. Many people can't eat oats raw or lightly cooked.

Not that I get any dedicated exercise, but how soon after getting up do you go run. I'm not fully awake for at least an hour and a half.
Within 20 minutes of getting out of bed I'm running. I go from asleep to fully awake in practically no time.

I like to get up and get on an elliptical for 45 minutes and then eat afterwards. I was very overweight in late winter 2018 and lost 30 pounds in a month doing this.

I have also been consuming Huel and Soylent products regularly over the past year or so with great results. Yes I know many people have a negative perception of soy but it has done well for me in reasonable amounts. Huel Black is an amazing product, literally one of the best things I have ever put in my body.

I haven’t worked out in the morning since I was prepping to go Marine Corps back at the Academy. I hated every minute of it. We didn’t have time to eat first, and, as you say, I usually over did it afterward to the point my stomach would be uneasy.

My favorite after-run quick bite, if we were running too late to grab food in the mess hall, was a bagel and strawberry yogurt. I don’t know why dipping the bagel into the yogurt into the yogurt tasted so darned good, but it still makes my mouth water just thinking about it. I’ve done it since, MINUS the run and it just tastes OK. I guess everything tastes better when you earn it.

/

Now, when I want to be healthy I’ll do overnight oats in Almond Milk and with a spoonful of organic plant-based protein. It actually just tastes like delicious chocolate smoothy once you get used to the flavor (it has real cocoa added). Note: I grind the steel-cut oats before I put them in to soak overnight to ensure I’m getting every bit of it digested, too.

If I forgot or was too lazy to make overnight oats I’ll just do instant with a spoonful of peanut butter. Mmm

Honestly, the response depends on you goals and why you are running.

If you are running to lose weight, there are many studies that show how fasted cardio can really help you burn fat. When I was competing, I did that most every day...for nearly 20 years, and I can say it works VERY well. Your body is in a fasted state, and relying on fat storage to fuel your workout...you also give a boost to your metabolism for the rest of the day.

If you are running to train for performance, then I would totally support the high carb (low glycemic index) and moderate fat and protein intake.

If you are running to maintain cardio health, yet build muscle, then I would support a high protein pre-run that would help keep your body from feeding on your own muscles but allow you to still burn fat...think Keto, without actually going into ketosis (I don't support ketosis at all as a viable way to increase your health)

Back