Brands ranks video test wix xp royal purple and purolater boss results shocking

Cool video, OP, but as BR said themselves, their rig is NOT an ISO 4548-12 testing rig. I trust Ascent Filtration’s results because, well, they DO use an ISO 4548-12 test rig.

Just because one is wearing the emperor’s robe, does not make one the emperor…

Cool video, OP, but as BR said themselves, their rig is NOT an ISO 4548-12 testing rig. I trust Ascent Filtration’s results because, well, they DO use an ISO 4548-12 test rig.

Just because one is wearing the emperor’s robe, does not make one the emperor…
I think this home-made test rig does a relatively decent job of comparing oil filter flow vs dP performance and holding capacity comparisons between filters. Trying to use an ISO 4406 particle count is the next best thing to using actual particle counters before and after the filter like the ISO 4548-12 does. But as Brand Ranks mentioned, those test rigs are super expensive.

As pointed out, the two filters that are essentially the same filters (the Wix XP and the NAPA Platinum) had very similar PC test results in the BR video, and they showed to have less filtering performance than the Royal Purple and the Boss when comparing PC data. But it is surprising that the Boss showed a better particle count than the Royal Purple. In Ascent's testing, the Royal Purple was clearly more efficient than the Boss and Wix XP (link below to graphs). So there is a good correlation between this test rig and the ISO 4548-12 measurements of the relative dP vs flow and the relative holding capacity. Put the PC results to compare efficiency doesn't seem to correlate with the Ascent efficiency testing between the Royal Purple and Boss. Why not a correlation? ... hard to say at this point. Has the media been changed in the Boss since Ascent did his testing (?).

1693595791878.png

1693595805848.png

Holding capacity seems to correlate in terms of relative holding capacity compared to Ascent's testing between the Royal Purple and the others, where the Royal Purple has the least holding capacity of the bunch.

1693594547856.jpeg

The Royal Purple also had the highest delta-p vs flow curve, and the Wix XP the lowest curve in the Ascent testing. So the BR test rig does accurately show a good correlation of the ranking of flow vs dP performance.

1693595860165.png

Last edited:
I think this home-made test rig does a relatively decent job of comparing oil filter flow vs dP performance and holding capacity comparisons between filters. Trying to use an ISO 4406 particle count is the next best thing to using actual particle counters before and after the filter like the ISO 4548-12 does. But as Brand Ranks mentioned, those test rigs are super expensive.

As pointed out, the two filters that are essentially the same filters (the Wix XP and the NAPA Platinum) had very similar PC test results in the BR video, and they showed to have less filtering performance than the Royal Purple and the Boss when comparing PC data. But it is surprising that the Boss showed a better particle count than the Royal Purple. In Ascent's testing, the Royal Purple was clearly more efficient than the Boss (link below to graphs). So there is a good correlation between this test rig and the ISO 4548-12 measurements of the relative dP vs flow and the relative holding capacity. Put the PC results to compare efficiency doesn't seem to correlate with the Ascent efficiency testing between the Royal Purple and Boss. Why not a correlation? ... hard to say at this point.

View attachment 176276

View attachment 176277

Holding capacity seems to correlate in terms of relative holding capacity compared to Ascent's testing between the Royal Purple and the others, where the Royal Purple has the least holding capacity of the bunch.

View attachment 176274

The Royal Purple also has the highers delta-p vs flow curve too in the Ascent testing.

One thing that should have been done (as a sanity check, mainly) would be to have some way to loop the oil through the filter mount at least once and “verify” that there is zero inherent pressure difference between the pre- and post- gauges. Sure, whatever that value is should be constant regardless of the filter used, but it still colors the dP measurements. It would be nice to know, especially since that will be a different value at different viscosities and flow rates.

Or am I overthinking it?

One thing that should have been done (as a sanity check, mainly) would be to have some way to loop the oil through the filter mount at least once and “verify” that there is zero inherent pressure difference between the pre- and post- gauges. Sure, whatever that value is should be constant regardless of the filter used, but it still colors the dP measurements. It would be nice to know, especially since that will be a different value at different viscosities and flow rates.

Or am I overthinking it?
That would be more accurate, as the dP between the in vs out pressure gauge without any filter mounted could be subtracted from the filter in place measurement for a more accurate filter dP. It wouldn't change the ranking of the filters in the flow vs dP performance, but it would better represent the true filter dP. There probably isn't much dP without the filter, but it would be worth running to get that baseline.

It would be interesting if @RaRa at Brand Ranks could do a comparison between a wire-backed Ultra and the new non wire-backed Ultra. They would have to find the same model of Ultra in both design versions to get a good comparison. I think he mentioned at the end of the video in this thread that they were going to test the orange can Fram, and the video also shows a Fram Endurance being screwed onto the test fixture, and if testing some Frams, it might be worth trying to find the same Ultra model in both the wire-backed and non wire-backed version to compare the two designs against each other.

Last edited:
Does it really matter? I buy Fram or ST filters and replace every 5K oil change. Have 8 vehicles with no issues.
my experience too... I go every 10k OCI too.. using store brand synthetic such as Kirkland or Supertech. I bought a bunch of wholesaler closeout oil filters from Rock Auto a few years back.. $1.30 each for my Cummins... some people sneer at that sort of thing but they are honest to god American Manufacture filters from Federal Mogul corp... I honestly don't get why people overspend on lubes and filters but I suspect it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy to pay extra . :)

It would be interesting if @RaRa at Brand Ranks could do a comparison between a wire-backed Ultra and the new non wire-backed Ultra. They would have to find the same model of Ultra in both design versions to get a good comparison. I think he mentioned at the end of the video in this thread that they were going to test the orange can Fram, and the video also shows a Fram Endurance being screwed onto the test fixture, and if testing some Frams, it might be worth trying to find the same Ultra model in both the wire-backed and non wire-backed version to compare the two designs against each other.

I have Fram Ultras in XG4386 in the OG Wire backed, as well as the new type.

If anyone doing the testing reads this, I will offer them up.

I have been dying to know if they perform similarly... the new ones are rather thin... and not very confidence inspiring compared to the OG ones which were a more thick robust filter media.

It's certainly possible the new ones work just as well, I have seen come Champ labs filters that have cellulose that tested quite well... but i have a hard time believing Fram could get any more efficient than the OG ones without restricting flow. They were a well tuned filter, and if I had to place a bet, i think they ruined it to save money.

It's certainly possible the new ones work just as well, I have seen come Champ labs filters that have cellulose that tested quite well... but i have a hard time believing Fram could get any more efficient than the OG ones without restricting flow.
The new non wire-backed Ultras have more media area, so that helps with keeping the delta-p down with flow, and also helps the holding capacity. Only a test of the old vs new Ultra in the same filter part number would show what is going on with dP vs flow, and holding capacity and PC data if Brand Ranks wanted to to the full testing of them.

I have no affiliation or know anyone personally at Brands Ranks. I was subscribed to there channel and see that boss come 2 in testing asking for opinion here because buy few purolater boss .

I am confused as to how they got the Purolator Boss performing better than Royal Purple. From reading this forum, I thought the consensus was that the old style Fram Ultra was the best, followed by the Royal Purple. I remember the Purolator Boss being well behind both of them in the Ascent Filtration testing..

Now this contradicts that.
Empirical data contradicts all the time. It may just be that they used few particles smaller than 20 mu, in which case the Boss would have no trouble filtering very well.

Last edited:
Back