Brand new car - long idle before break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOG -

I picked up a new Infiniti (3.0tt engine running 0w-20 per Manual). Question: the car came from the factory with 3 miles (normal) and a couple were added, I'm assuming, by the dealer to gas it up, etc. I took delivery with 6 miles. No questions there. However, I noticed on my 1 hour ride home that the "Average MPG" and "Average MPH" were both very low. About 9 MPG and 3 MPH. Odd, I thought. I thought my 30 mile trip home would have surely changed those.

Today, I activated the Trip Duration for the center screen and noticed 5.5 hours of drive time and 67 miles (70 miles overall). I backed out the time I've spent driving it and I'm at 3.5 hours. It now makes sense why the Average MPH and Average MPG were so low yesterday, but raises a couple questions.

1) Did the factory run the car at idle for 3.5 hours? No, not likely.

2) Did the dealer run the car at idle for 3.5 hours? Taking into account delivery, prep, taking pictures for their site before sale is 30 minutes. So 3 hours? The perfectionist in me is not thrilled if my new car was run at idle for 3 hours.

My concern is whether the extended idle, in cold weather (car built 11/16) had any impact on a brand new engine. Based on my cursory understanding, there could be fuel dilution issues. The exhaust tips had a good amount of black soot as well. Am I overthinking this? Don’t want to rob my brand new car of precious HP especially when the manual says don’t run at a constant speed/RPM for first 1200 miles for extended period of time.

Any recommendations?

I have seen the transporter guys leave engines running during the cold winter months with the heater on in the car so they are nice and comfy when they are ready to move the vehicle. In some cars the catalytic converters would need changing due to the prolonged idling.

Originally Posted By: FB09l
Am I overthinking this?

I know this is BITOG - the land of OCD and all - but yeah, I think you're overthinking this one.
smile.gif

Quote:
Don’t want to rob my brand new car of precious HP especially when the manual says don’t run at a constant speed/RPM for first 1200 miles for extended period of time.

I think this is mainly referring to running under load. Idling would be different, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, what are you going to do about it? Ask the dealer to take the car back?

If you're really paranoid about fuel dilution, maybe ask them to have the oil changed at no charge to you?

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I have seen the transporter guys leave engines running during the cold winter months with the heater on in the car so they are nice and comfy when they are ready to move the vehicle. In some cars the catalytic converters would need changing due to the prolonged idling.

That and lot boys running them through the paces moving them around the dealership. I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy the car!

I'm guessing it idled in a storage yard before being loaded on an auto transport or even on an auto transport before being offloaded at the dealer.
I doubt the dealer or Nissan has anything to do with it. I'm guessing the car was started up with the defroster on full blast so the car could be moved without scraping frost or clearing snow off the car.

Let me rephrase what I said, before I get called out for making a blanket statement haha.

Manufacturing processes today are so precise that there is minimal break in required for new motors. Engines are cold tested by giant electric motors that spin them to ensure proper function. This process, essentially, seats the rings. This is also why new cars today no longer require a 'break in' oil. Cars are rolling to dealerships with semi syn, sometimes even full syn, oils in the pan. Not to trip your OCD even more (trust me, I'm the same way), I's be more worried about the 17 year old that drove the car to the gas station when it got off the truck. He filled it up with the cheapest gas, no top tier, and then gave it the beans on the way back to the dealer. That car has already seen redline a couple times lol

Another possibility is that it was left running by accident. I see that too often with keyless ignition.

Not to fuel any OCD....because if it was idled for 3.5 hours then I wouldn't call that OCD. Whether that effects the engine or emissions system over time is another story.

My manual specifically states as one of the bullet points that there shouldn't be excessive idling of over five minutes during the 600 mile break-in period. However, mine's a small 1.6 direct injection engine. Does the owners manual mention this aspect at all?? That might be the place to start.

I work at the port here in georgia, and we do infini aswell as 10+ other manufacturers, throughout the entire pdi/install/quality inspection the car will idle a LOT. Trust me, eits part of every manufacturers process. Completely normal. Feel free to pm for more info

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
Maybe it had 41-5 minute idle periods? There is your 3.5 hours idle time without any excess idle. Feel better?

LOL! I think that would actually be worse.
smile.gif

How do they break in a engine at the factory? Rows of engines running?

Break in is done by whoever drives the car the first 500-1000 miles or so.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

I think every ecoboost does a engine dyno pull before it's installed in a vehicle. Seems like I read that somewhere... I'll see if I can find it again.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Read my second post..

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Not to fuel any OCD....because if it was idled for 3.5 hours then I wouldn't call that OCD. Whether that effects the engine or emissions system over time is another story.

My manual specifically states as one of the bullet points that there shouldn't be excessive idling of over five minutes during the 600 mile break-in period. However, mine's a small 1.6 direct injection engine. Does the owners manual mention this aspect at all?? That might be the place to start.

The following is per the Manual:

During the first 1,200 miles follow these recommendations to obtain maximum engine performance and ensure the future reliability and economy of your new vehicle. Failure to follow these recommendations may result in shortened engine life and reduced engine performance.

-Avoid driving for long periods at constant speed, either fast or slow. Do not run the engine over 4,000 rpm.
-Do not accelerate at full throttle in any gear.
-Avoid quick starts.
-Avoid hard braking as much as possible.

I guess the part about the "long periods at constant speed" is what is piquing my anxiety of not having "maximum engine performance". Again, not that I'm storming in the dealer, lol. I understand it could be 'normal' for a new car to be idled between the factory, port, dealer. Just 3.5 hours bothered me a bit. I need to relax and enjoy this car, I think.

Last edited:
From what I know, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, is that in a modern assembly plant the new engines get hooked up and ran for testing for a very short period. The test is for noises and vibrations that would signal something is obviously wrong. That's it.

Today's engines are machined very well but there is still a break in period. Also, break in occurs in the transmissions, differentials, and anything that moves.

You are overthinking. There is no reason for anyone to idle a factory-delivered car for extended periods. Your initial MPG values are meaningless because the computer is dividing by a small number with a lot of error. All is fine. Enjoy your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back