Brake Pads: RAYBESTOS Element3 vs AKEBONO ProACT?

Any experience with these? They both seem to be well-regarded. I'm torn between these two for my brake job I'll be doing on my toyotas.

I may be in the minority here, but I prefer Toyota OE pads on my Toyota cars and trucks. Always fit and feel the best.

If I had to choose one, it would be Akebono since they are made in US instead of China. Had good service with them on a compact GM car.
I have always had great luck with OE toyota pads also, the front pads on my Solara lasted at least 60k and were going strong when I sold it. I have had only one experience with Akebono pads on my old integra. They were performance pads, and they did perform as described, at least a small improvement on pedal feel when braking, I never had the opportunity to test the distance.

I put Akebono Euro Ceramic pads on my BMW X1, and love the modulation instead of the OEM brake jerk. It also calmed down the high wear and traction control jerk of the rear brakes and tires.

I have a Toyota Innova in another country that I'd put Akebono on to get rid of that OEM brake jerk.

I don't know which Toyotas you'll be working on, but Akebono very well may be the OEM supplier for them. With the two choicies listed, I would go with the Akebono perhaps one step up from the ProACT and go with their Performance pads.

I put the Element 3's on my Grand Cherokee a month ago,so not much experience. But they seem nice.

A34D274C-A179-42BD-8449-55B5251978D5.jpeg

196AE4C9-5FCF-4B67-B0C5-934566C92A6A.jpeg

I put Element3's on all 4 corners of my 07 Camry. I've been pretty satisfied with them, despite being GG rated pads, I still feel like they don't have quite as good of feel when compared to the OE pads, but they are the closest I have come across so far.

I don't know which Toyotas you'll be working on, but Akebono very well may be the OEM supplier for them. With the two choicies listed, I would go with the Akebono perhaps one step up from the ProACT and go with their Performance pads.

Yes, Akebono's are OE on Cadillacs, to K3500 diesel dually's like mine, and the first time I had ever seen Akebono's was on a 1992 Honda Accord, Akebono calipers too. I like them.

I haven't tried the Element3 however the do have a good reputation. I've used Akebono ProACT on a LEXUS and they were as close to OE that I've ever used. Or just get OE.

Since @Trav turned me onto them a few years ago I've done quite a few brake jobs with them and found them to be very good. I probably did a dozen or so brake jobs for family and friends with them and had zero complaints.

Back in 2018 I went with Akebono Pro Act pads and Raybestos RPT (now called Element3) rotors on a 7th gen Accord. I remain satisfied with both. In fact, Akebono ProAct pads all I've ever used as replacement on Honda. That said, I've read other opinions on them here, but for me they've delivered solid results. No experience with E3 pads.

I've had no problems at all with Akebono ProACT pads in any Japanese applications I've used them on.

Had akebono on my Sienna with no problems other than I thought they lacked a little bite as compared to oem pads. The very little dust they created was awesome and they fit perfect and we’re perfectly quiet.

Used element 3 on the next brake job on the Sienna as (1) everyone here seems to love them and (2) not sure how much longer we’re keeping the van. Verdict: I really don’t like them. The silence shims and hardware fits for crap. The shims on the pads were literally about 1/4” too big. You can only bend the retaining tabs back in so much. They also don’t fit the caliper bracket perfectly, so the first application of your brakes after changing directions (front or backwards) they clunk. They also dust significantly more than akebono, although not as much dust as most cheap pads.

I’d take akebono any day now after first hand experience with raybestos.

I've used Akebono pads with no complaint (nothing special either). Those of you associating Akebono to OEM, keep in mind that often OEM Akebono is not the same as aftermarket Akebono. Below is my OEM Akebono on the left and aftermarket Akebono on the right.
1648040606864.png
1648040634706.png

I am very pleased with my current EBC coated rotors and Ultimax II pads (GG). At first, the pads seemed to have a soft grab similar to the OEM, but now they have slightly more grab/bite (perception) that I was looking for. I imagine their prices are not competitive now. Element 3 will likely be my choice next time.

Last edited:
Had akebono on my Sienna with no problems other than I thought they lacked a little bite as compared to oem pads. The very little dust they created was awesome and they fit perfect and we’re perfectly quiet.

Used element 3 on the next brake job on the Sienna as (1) everyone here seems to love them and (2) not sure how much longer we’re keeping the van. Verdict: I really don’t like them. The silence shims and hardware fits for crap. The shims on the pads were literally about 1/4” too big. You can only bend the retaining tabs back in so much. They also don’t fit the caliper bracket perfectly, so the first application of your brakes after changing directions (front or backwards) they clunk. They also dust significantly more than akebono, although not as much dust as most cheap pads.

I’d take akebono any day now after first hand experience with raybestos.
I have used Elements 3 for a long time and don't understand you comment about the shims, as can be seen in Nicks post the shims are identical in size and are decent stainless quality. Are you sure you got Elements 3 not the R line? I just put Elements 3 pads, calipers and rotors on my Outback and like every other install no issues whatsoever.

My own experiences with Akebono is they are not great, low bite especially when cold, short pad life and noisier than others. My Saab had them when I bought it and they sucked terrible, I put Textar on that one and ATE on the older Viggen and they are so much better. I cant decide which of those two is better, both are excellent.
If I didnt use the Elements 3 I would use Advics or OE on a Japanese car.

I have E3 pads on my kids 2012 Scion xB (a Toyota Corolla at heart) and have around 6,000 miles on them so far.
They installed just fine and braking has been about equal to the OEM pads, and have not noticed any more brake dust or noise compared to OEM.

I was really leaning to the Akebono before I had read about the E3's here, and decided to try them instead.
I have been happy with them for their use (a teenager girls daily driver, mostly short trips with a few longer drives here and there, not real aggressive driving).

I will probably get E3's for my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe when the time comes based on my experience with them so far.

I have put the Element 3's on my truck, my son's truck, and my daughter's car within the last couple of years and have no complaints. When my wife's car needs pads I will use them on her Acura.

Back