Brake Pad Unboxing and Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Picked these up at NAPA for $28 for my friends Silverado. He needed the job done fast and isnt super picky so I found these online and was curious enough to look at them in person.

I have probably installed 50 plus sets of brakes on GMT400 and GMT800s so i feel as if i can give a fair review from the installation process.

Cons- No name that is recognizable, Nowhere on the website or box does it say if they are Ceramic or Semi Metallic..

Pros- Unless im reading the codes wrong, these are GG Friction Rating pads..which means that they are ceramic? These pads also had hardware included.. rarely do i get a set of pads with hardware that fit..these do. These pads also needed no filing.

Made in India it says on the box.. and the shim bag said Made in China

My previous 6 installs have been Raybestos Element 3 pads, all of those boxes said Made in China.

I will report back if he says they squeak or if he has any complaints..but these pads seem as good if not better than any pad ive installed in the past few years.

Pads removed were NAPA Semi Metallic FE friction code, glazed and had heat cracks..about half a pad left.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
Why does he need new pads with half the pad left?

Pads were glazed and cracked as i stated. He wasnt happy with the braking performance. IMHO for $30 you may as well put on new pads for the process involved in removing everything and inspecting, lubing pins etc.

I found an upper ball joint with excessive play so it was a productive job.

As you call it the Friction Rating(Coefficient of Friction)I'm not a huge fan of CoF rating of "GG". They've always seem to require more pedal pressure to stop for the applications that I've used'em in.

Even parking brakes that use the rear pads(e.g. like Mazda) for the parking brake, just never seem to hold the car as strongly as "FF" pads.

There never(IME) seems to be enough normal bite for the everydayness of driving. Let us know how your friend likes these pads.

Last edited:
GG pads do not have to be Ceramic.

Most replacement parts are OEM quality, form fit and function, and for brakes that means using the same chemistry. Alternative pads are available for many applications, especially performance oriented brakes, so it is not a hard and fast rule.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
As you call it the Friction Rating(Coefficient of Friction)I'm not a huge fan of CoF rating of "GG". They've always seem to require more pedal pressure to stop for the applications that I've used'em in.

Semi-metallic GG truck pads rarely lack bite, especially when the application calls for them. It is performance oriented ceramic pads in friction ratings higher than OEM, and for non-ceramic applications, that are the usual suspects for poor feel unles already hot.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by Char Baby

Semi-metallic GG truck pads rarely lack bite, especially when the application calls for them. It is performance oriented ceramic pads in friction ratings higher than OEM, and for non-ceramic applications, that are the usual suspects for poor feel unles already hot.

Forum Favorites in the past few yrs have been the Raybestos EHT and Wagner Thermoquiet.. ive installed both on various vehicles and they were GG.

Im not saying FF is worse or better than GG, but ive not seen many bad reviews of either of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back