Fully Coated Brake Rotors and Ceramic Pads

I'm seeing more brake rotors advertised as partially-coated or semi-coated where the coating is limited to the non-friction surfaces of the rotor. The friction area of the rotor where the pad makes contact is not coated (or is very lightly coated) enabling new pads to bed a little faster.

I'm wondering if this partial coating is also a solution to a problem where ceramic pads get gunked up when bedding a fully coated rotor? I imagine that semi-metallic pads make quick work of the coating and are not a concern. But what about ceramic pads? Is it unwise to pair them with fully coated rotors?

Ceramic pads do have some grit to them. But.. Centric is a big believer on the semi-coated water-based coatings for its ceramic pads vs fully coated for its semi-metallic pads.
61QwcXioc-L.jpg

EBC has its "brake-in" layer that is very abrasive for this also, and Centric has a copy of it for its PQ Pro ceramic pads

product_photos-large_image-9208-17209-RedStuff_pad.jpg-550x.jpg

CentricPQPro.jpg

my savy pickey former ducati dealer runs the old pads to clean a new rotor then put the fresh pads on. coating swept areas is a waste + can be a headache IMO

Back