Removing paint from pad contact surfaces of coated rotors

3 years ago

Centric said posiquiet ceramic did not require the heat cycling to bed the pads. I didn’t like the performance so I did it, and once I did, the performance difference was night and day
We installed 4-5 sets of the copper free ones. Probably within the last year or so. I think 2 or 3 of them developed pulsation from pad deposits within 5-10K.

Go do some 60 to 5 mph stops to get them even the first time
There is a no safe area to do that around here. It is also not part of the OEM service procedure. There is zero reason why an aftermarket OEM style replacement pad should require such break-in methods. Dealer pads do not require this and establish their transfer layer just fine.

There is a no safe area to do that around here. It is also not part of the OEM service procedure. There is zero reason why an aftermarket OEM style replacement pad should require such break-in methods. Dealer pads do not require this and establish their transfer layer just fine.
Then you should have spent the extra money on dealership pads.

4B1A4C45-BEF0-4318-BB65-713B9596076C.jpeg

72717509-8FDC-449C-A55B-F744C4DE418B.jpeg

Gave the rotors a good scrub with Super Clean before installing with new pads. The new pads seated within 10 stops and established a very even transfer layer. Having a clean surface without any ”coating” definitely allowed for a quicker bed-in and a more even transfer layer.

In the future, I think I will buff off the paint if the pads are aftermarket ceramic.

Who would expect any coating on the contact surface to survive long? Obviously not the manufactures who probably are doing it because it's easier to treat the entire rotor then to get just the non contact parts.

whenever I put new brakes on any vehicle i do a few hard stops, never had a problem. some brakes are sad for the first few stops.
also my dad has a set of akebono ceramic pads he put on his car over 10 years ago. pads still look new, rotors are warped and lipped. he has a set of coated rotors on the shelf and just hasn't gotten around to replacing them. hes gonna re-use the old pads.

The real European rotors (OE, Zimmerman, etc.) use GEOMET on their rotors.

The $20-$40 silver rotors that most folks are buying from Raybestos/Centric/etc are rotors that have been painted with some type of paint....and it is not GEOMET.
I’ve had Zimmerman rotors where the coating came off a bit, others where as it scraped off it literally turned into little bits of folded up material.

C69D71B2-11E3-4FB8-BF85-B74E15098377.jpeg

Recent rear w126 rotors that are pretty similar, also Zimmerman, showed some wipe off with non chlorinated cleaner and a rag, minimal driving cleared them, and no sign of any more plastic like coating….

7F79A04C-6ADA-48AD-BE29-64172C2B7FF8.jpeg

Back