How I paint brake calipers

20k... it has been about 20,000 miles that I've put on my 2005 Tahoe since I did a full brake job (and within a much larger project, did the initial rehab to make the old girl roadworthy). Nevertheless, about 20k in now and there's a good pulsation from the brakes.

I know I do not run phemonional brake components on this truck. So even if brakes go once a year, 15-25k miles, I am not complaining. Couple that with the fact that this truck has warrantable brake components from Autozone -- its what I do. Purchased calipers, rotors and pads for all 4 corners from Autozone in 2017.

**Side story to that, I went to a farther out Autozone store to get one caliper I needed and the girl behind the counter started telling me that the Limited Lifetime Warranty is only good for one time. I proceeded to ask how she defined lifetime and she couldn't give me and answer. To this date my local store has never given me this. Either way that won't stop me from doing what I do with parts. Part of the purchase choice is due to the willingness to warranty items when they're originally sold to me by the store assistant. Usually when buying the parts they have given me the "bring it back anytime no questions asked and get a new one" answers.

Anyways... so I have 4 calipers, Duralast Gold ceramic front pads, Duralast Elite ceramic rear pads and Duralast Gold coated rotors for the front and rear.

I take the calipers out of the box, remove the bracket and thoroughly degrease them. I usually use a bunch of Lysol wipes to cut the initial grease, wiping them down good. Then I go back through with 90% alcohol wipes and make sure the surfaces are clean of oil or grease.

Then with a 1" cheap brush I start painting them with Rustoleum BBQ paint, good for 1200 degrees F they say. I do one side, let it dry, the do the other. Usually try to strive for 2 coats. Here's some pics of it.

Wet after painting
1680378365096.jpeg

Finished
1680378442772.jpeg

1680378453702.jpeg

1680378462331.jpeg

1680378470007.jpeg

Now are they perfect, no probably not. But they look pretty decent and they achieve my goal of hiding them. Much better than rusty calipers that stick out like a sore thumb.

I've been using this method on my vehicles for years. I painted my OE 2009 Honda Accord calipers this way and they stayed nice and painted for 7-8 years.

Back