Rotors: Raybestos Element3 vs Wagner E-coated

Finally getting around to doing the brakes (rotors and pads) on my 2014 Grand Cherokee. I thought I had nailed down the rotors (Raybestos Element3 fully coated), but came across a deal on Wagner Premium E-coated rotors and now I'm debating which to go for.

Raybestos Element3 fully coated:
https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/products/rotors-drums/element-3-rotors.html

Wagner Premium E-coated:
https://www.wagnerbrake.com/content...roducts/brakes/wagner-brake-rotors.html/

Seeking your advice/recommendations/reviews of both products.

Thanks

Cant comment on the rotor but can comment on the coatings.

Assuming the ad wording is using industry specific terminology and not marketing "practices" with deceptive wording....

Most of it depends on specifically and exactly what they are coated with and the thickness but that's not available so all other things being equal.

Fusion coatings are very rugged ( basically a chemical bond similar to glue) so if the substrate is properly prepared, they are very durable as long as nothing gets under or through them

Electrical coatings are very close to plating and have much tighter bond to the substrate but still subject to the same failings- just not as much.

If everything was equal the EC would survive longer

I've used both, both were good. Having said that, I'd go with the Raybestos Element3. Bitog member Trav put me onto them, he hasn't steered me wrong yet.

I think the Wagners used to be made in Brazil but i think both are now made in China.

I think its a coin toss on which is best.. so buy the best deal.

I have the Raybestos EHT rotors and pads and pads on 2 vehicles and am very happy.. but would probably be just as happy with Wagners and Thermoquiets.

I use them interchangeably, both made in china - G3000 metal. So go by which ever is cheapest.

I have the Raybestos and they have been excellent since installed last year. Can't speak to their performance/durability in salty roads but they show no signs of rust.

EBC's for sure! cast in the UK from better metallergy. most ALL regardless of brand are chinese + quality varies a LOT!!

I put the E3 pads and rotors on the 2013 subaru 3 months ago.. the fitment was very good.

Rockauto had VERY good prices.. iirc 160 shipped for 4 rotors and both sets of pads.

Originally Posted by benjy
EBC's for sure! cast in the UK from better metallergy. most ALL regardless of brand are chinese + quality varies a LOT!!

benjy, my Ultimax plain EBC rotors purchased last fall had no COO on the box (the pads did show U.K.). An internet search raised concern that many EBC rotors are now cast in China. One person even showed some kind of warehouse purchase document showing Chinese origin. NOTHING IS CONFIRMED, EXCEPT DOUBT. EBC's statement that over 80% of their rotors are U.K. cast is somewhat dated.

Hey moderators, how about a sticky thread where people report back every 6 months with pictures on the coating effectiveness of their rotors. We have been debating this topic for over 3 years with no good source of comparison. Have some kind of uniform reporting format similar to the UOA section. Rotor brand/model. Make/model/year/mileage of vehicle/install date. 6 month report with mileage/water-salt exposure(low,med., high?). Coating/rust rating.

Last edited:
I am using the Raybestos Element 3 pads and Centric coated rotors on my Jeep Wrangler. So far this combination has worked great for me.

Back