Best coated rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Wonder if you couldn't just hit the insides of the hats with some Rustoleum and be good.

I tried that with uncoated rotors and Rust-Oleum hi temp BBQ paint, after careful cleaning/degreasing. Then it washed right off the first time I hit it with brake cleaner.

I would use something like Cerakote for guns instead - BBQ is still a solvent-based lacquer-type paint. I've seen dry moly lube used on the wheel hub faces as a very light film sprayed on.

https://www.cerakote.com/finishes/?tab=coatings&cat=CSERIES

Cerakote is really expensive though. At that point, you may as well just buy some coated rotors in the first place.

Now, something cheaper like high temp engine enamel may be just the ticket. IIRC the chemical composition of the ceramic spray engine enamel and Cerakote are very similar in the first place.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Wonder if you couldn't just hit the insides of the hats with some Rustoleum and be good.

I tried that with uncoated rotors and Rust-Oleum hi temp BBQ paint, after careful cleaning/degreasing. Then it washed right off the first time I hit it with brake cleaner.

Grill paint isn't made for that sort of thing, though. I'd try engine enamel instead, that stuff is designed for automotive use.

Last edited:
@The Critic

So which coated rotor do you recommend?

Element3 or Wagner E-coated? Which is better for rust prevention and better quality?

Last edited:
I just received my EBC RK rotors and Ultimax2 pads this week. With my current front brakes approaching 7 years old, I haven't done rotors/pads in nearly 9 years (previous van)! Rotor offerings have changed! First time I mail ordered something like this (local purchase is better if returns are needed). Venturing into uncharted territory.
28.gif

Lets meet here next spring and discuss results.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I just received my EBC RK rotors

Where did you order from? And, do the Ultimax2 pads include hardware?

My Ultimax2 pads do NOT include hardware, but my stainless steel fittings seem good for re-use.

I ordered from: https://thmotorsports.com/4250844-e...4qsuC5AIVBdvACh1VkwwxEAYYASABEgKjx_D_BwE ....ridiculous summer sale @ $97 delivered for entire rotor/pad set. Mine are the black (current) pic.

I ordered last Wednesday (28th.). Mine were drop shipped (same day) from the EBC U.S. distributor in Las Vegas and arrived in my town at FedEX on Friday. FedEx botched the delivery (2x), then Labor Day delay....mine arrived this past Wednesday (7th.).

The jury is out: do the EBC's really have better metallurgy? Numerous sites "suggest" their black thermic coating is an actual Geomet brand product. Best of both worlds or excellent marketing schtick. I'll report back.

Nice! I almost pulled the trigger later night. But the horrid reviews for thmotorsports stopped me. They have the EBC rotor set for my car (same rotors as you) for $65 shipped. But, since you've had no issues ordering there. I might gamble.

How does the overall quality of your rotors seem?

As others have pointed out above, it is impossible to evaluate rotor quality by looks alone. Mine have excellent casting and finish, for whatever that is worth.

I had less than perfect results with thmotorsports and will p.m. you the details. They DID get the product delivered in excellent conditions, but I had similar results to their recent BBB complaints found online.

Dang edit time..... My rotors appear to have the same weight and dimensions (thickness, vane configuration,etc) as my OEM rotors.

When I was in the rust belt I used to change brakes every year or year and a half.

Down here I just put a set of powerstop rotors and pads on my sonata it was $70 shipped to my door amazon prime. I ordered blanks rotors, and they shipped cross drilled and slotted. Not really what I wanted, but I put them on anyways.

Feels better than stock, and way better since I bled the system with dot4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back