Best coated rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, many e-coated rotors do have the coating inside the hat, such as Centric Premium and Wagner E-coated
smile.gif

Proof

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
First of all, many e-coated rotors do have the coating inside the hat, such as Centric Premium and Wagner E-coated
smile.gif

Proof

[Linked Image]

Oh! In my experience with the Delco and the Raybestos ones the insides were not coated. So I'll have to look at Centric and Wagner. The coated ones I used in the past held up well, but the inside where there wasn't any coating did not. Thanks!

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
I've always had good luck with NAPA brakes.IMO their adaptive one line is as good as anything out there for normal use. They're not race brakes, of course, but if you're not racing you can't get much better.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking for something that lasts as long as possible and NAPA seem to be pretty good.

Originally Posted by JMHC
I've always had good luck with NAPA brakes.IMO their adaptive one line is as good as anything out there for normal use. They're not race brakes, of course, but if you're not racing you can't get much better.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking for something that lasts as long as possible and NAPA seem to be pretty good.

They can be pretty pricey but they're good stuff and available everywhere. I know NAPA deals with Raybestos for a lot of their brake components, but when it comes to the Adaptive Ones I'm not sure who manufactures them. They're good, though.

….They can be pretty pricey but they're good stuff and available everywhere. I know NAPA deals with Raybestos for a lot of their brake components......
This is true. When it comes to the Napa fully coated rotors, even though Napa lists tighter runout specs on thier site, I believe they are the same rotors as the Raybestos Element3 (formerly RPTs). One member went further noting the part # number similarly in the two products as posted here. The Napas are significantly more expensive.

I also installed some Wagner E coated rotors as posted here. They're nice, however as commented on in the link the coating does not cover the exposed rotor surfaces not touched by pads. Centric would be similar. Rust not much of issue here, so no biggie. I've got a vehicle with standard AAP Wearever uncoated rotors and they've held up nicely, no significant rust. The Wagner E coated are more expensive than Raybestos Element3.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
….They can be pretty pricey but they're good stuff and available everywhere. I know NAPA deals with Raybestos for a lot of their brake components......
This is true. When it comes to the Napa fully coated rotors, even though Napa lists tighter runout specs on thier site, I believe they are the same rotors as the Raybestos Element3 (formerly RPTs). One member went further noting the part # number similarly in the two products as posted here. The Napas are significantly more expensive.

I also installed some Wagner E coated rotors as posted here. They're nice, however as commented on in the link the coating does not cover the exposed rotor surfaces not touched by pads. Centric would be similar. Rust not much of issue here, so no biggie. I've got a vehicle with standard AAP Wearever uncoated rotors and they've held up nicely, no significant rust. The Wagner E coated are more expensive than Raybestos Element3.

This is great info, thank you. That's what throws me off...if the NAPA coated rotors are the same as the Element3 and supplied by Raybestos, I can buy the Raybestos parts at exactly half the cost. However, the Element3 quote a runout of 0.004" max and the NAPA are 0.002" max. Does that mean Raybestos sends the ones with better tolerance to NAPA, and the ones that didn't machine up so well in the Element3 line? If they truly are the same I can just use the Raybestos parts at much lower cost, but it's hard to know what is what these days.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

The part numbers for the NAPA and Element3 are the same for my car too.

980973FZN

880973CR

I'm guessing the runout quotes are just BS and they are the same part. Both have a lifetime warranties. Unless the 1 number difference in part number is the difference in parts for the runouts.

Originally Posted by BrianF
These are Napa Premium coated after 2 years and 25,000km.

Yikes! That doesn't seem worth the price.

I use Centric coated rotors for all the vehicles I touch. Don't even know what the local stores offer. I don't step foot in there unless it's a dire, get it done today need.

Wagner and Centric hold up better than that
smile.gif

smile.gif

It's all the same stuff.

The real German Geomet coatings hold up fairly well, but the Chinese imitations are pretty much a hit/miss.

last year i put a full set of EBC rotors + yellow pads on my 2011 Fronty pickup, they work great + are coated but only time in my salty Pa will tell the story. i opted for EBC because they are said to use higher carbon in their USA + UK made rotors unlike almost all others that are chinese regardless of the brand name

Originally Posted by The Critic

smile.gif

It's all the same stuff.

The real German Geomet coatings hold up fairly well, but the Chinese imitations are pretty much a hit/miss.

Centric and Wagner are not geomet! They are E-coated
smile.gif

Originally Posted by The Critic

smile.gif

It's all the same stuff.

Centric and Wagner are not geomet! They are E-coated
smile.gif

The NAPA UP/Raybestos rotors use the Chinese equivalent of a Geo-met coating.

I am aware that the Wagner and Centric Premium rotors use E-Coating. The coating does sometimes flake.

I can also use Toyota factory replacement rotors and pads. They cost about the same as NAPA, but the rotors are made in the USA. They are just not coated inside the hat, and my current factory rotors are starting to rust and eat into the pads at 4 years. I don't know if the less expensive aftermarket ones (Wagner, Raybestos) will last that long or not. My recent experience is that the aftermarket ones only last about 2-3 years here in the salt belt.

Wonder if you couldn't just hit the insides of the hats with some Rustoleum and be good.

I tried that with uncoated rotors and Rust-Oleum hi temp BBQ paint, after careful cleaning/degreasing. Then it washed right off the first time I hit it with brake cleaner.

To be fair I must add that the vehicle with these rotors has been sitting for most of the winter so the rust on the rotor surface has not been rubbed off by the pads.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Wonder if you couldn't just hit the insides of the hats with some Rustoleum and be good.

I tried that with uncoated rotors and Rust-Oleum hi temp BBQ paint, after careful cleaning/degreasing. Then it washed right off the first time I hit it with brake cleaner.

I would use something like Cerakote for guns instead - BBQ is still a solvent-based lacquer-type paint. I've seen dry moly lube used on the wheel hub faces as a very light film sprayed on.

https://www.cerakote.com/finishes/?tab=coatings&cat=CSERIES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back