Brake cleaner on plastic oils caps.

Hey.
I know that brake cleaner can hurt some plastics. But anyone who knows if it is okay to use it cleaning plastic oils filter caps and other engine plastics? Anyone who has experienced brake cleaner actuality hurting oil filter caps or other engine plastics?

thanks in advance.
Have a nice weekend 😊

Depends which one you use. Green can will destroy plastic red can won’t. So basically chlorinated or unchlorinated the unchorinated will destroy the plastic. Red can and chlorinated I’ve used on plastic with no issues.

Wipe off the excess, the damage is usually limited to discoloration and none of that if you don't leave the product on until it evaporates

Edit: if you are trying to clean the outside part of the cap, you can use a silicone spray. Spray and wipe, the crud and oil will come off.

Depends which one you use. Green can will destroy plastic red can won’t. So basically chlorinated or unchlorinated the unchorinated will destroy the plastic. Red can and chlorinated I’ve used on plastic with no issues.

But have you actually seen oil filter caps be dissolved/damaged by using the wrong kind of brake cleaner ? And how long will it take before you can visually see the damage ? 🙂

Back