Did a piston soak on the 18 Kia 2.4L this weekend

Checked it today and added oil to bring it back to the full mark. It took right at 1/4 of a quart. It’s been almost 2 weeks, and I was burning 1 quart a week. I can say for sure this did something! Now, how long before I have to do it again?? Either way, I'm pretty happy with the results!

Checked it today and added oil to bring it back to the full mark. It took right at 1/4 of a quart. It’s been almost 2 weeks, and I was burning 1 quart a week. I can say for sure this did something! Now, how long before I have to do it again?? Either way, I'm pretty happy with the results!
i may have missed it, but you should really dump some HPL EC30 in it to keep cleaning the ring pack. you’ve opened them up enough now that oil should be able to get in there and with the EC30 if should clean them the rest of the way.

i may have missed it, but you should really dump some HPL EC30 in it to keep cleaning the ring pack. you’ve opened them up enough now that oil should be able to get in there and with the EC30 if should clean them the rest of the way.
I did 3 different EC30 cleanings on it before this over the last year or so. I still have a quart left, I may try it next time.

Seems like the piston soak did far better then the EC 30. Another piston soak would be better move I would think.
My Scion burned over a quart in 300 miles when I bought it. A piston soak improved that to about 1000. A second soak with two full bottles of B12 improved it to the point where I don’t add any oil between changes.

My Scion burned over a quart in 300 miles when I bought it. A piston soak improved that to about 1000. A second soak with two full bottles of B12 improved it to the point where I don’t add any oil between changes.
That is quite the difference. Are these motors good candidates for mixing 2 stroke TCW3 oil in with the gas?

Seems like the piston soak did far better then the EC 30. Another piston soak would be better move I would think.
HPL EC is a low & slow approach
I wish they made a EC additive that could clean as good or better than their oils, but I understand concerns about clogging the filter
It made improvement in my oil burning 2AZ after a lengthy piston soak and idle flush

If you're gonna throw everything at it short of a teardown

1. Start with the solvent piston soak
  2. Immediately chase with a strong idle flush (EPR/LiquiMoly)
  3. Then go to a cleaning oil or additive (high PAO oil or HPL EC)
This order minimizes the waste and expense of fresh oil and filters
The BG Dynamic oil service is also an option, but at $300+ it's kinda pricy

I'm eager to see my cut open filter when I'm done running it

Back