New core on existing plastic tanks

JHZR2

Staff member
Not looking for anyone to tell me how unreliable plastic tanks are.

I’m not happy with the Chinese all aluminum radiator I got. And an actual one for a 1991 MB 350sd is NLA worldwide. I want to get a new core to install the perfectly fine plastic tanks from my busted radiator on. I want the original look, original emblems, etc.

So I’d like to get this done. Does anyone know who does this type of repair? Not opposed to trying diy as well.

It’s a 455 radiator core fwiw.

We used to put new tanks on older cores for people. We had a press I used and some special tools to crimp them on. It became cost prohibited as we could sell a brand new radiator with a warranty for less than putting new tanks on and no warranty.

A shop that can recore a radiator can also weld end tanks for you. I wouldn't be reusing a part that has limited life remaining.

I would re use the tanks only if they have the brass compression sleeve at the hose connections. A 560SEL radiator may suit your needs with the top tank swapped. Nissans made brass radiators for the W126. Moving the top hose connection would be simple.

you can try don hart radiator, we just built and installed fin and core making equipment at there facility in texas

I would re use the tanks only if they have the brass compression sleeve at the hose connections. A 560SEL radiator may suit your needs with the top tank swapped. Nissans made brass radiators for the W126. Moving the top hose connection would be simple.
How would moving the top hose connection be simple? The 560SEL radiator has gone through my mind more than once, but the upper radiator hose would need to go all the way across the top/front, which would then require draining coolant and removing the hose to remove the fan, service the belt, etc.

What's wrong with the new radiator? :unsure:
It’s not OE, it’s not well made, the drain isn’t like OE, I don’t like glaring bright aluminum underhood, and the AT cooler is dubious that it will flow like the original.

OE:
IMG_8033.jpeg

Chinese:
IMG_8019.jpeg

Every single plastic tank radiator that I’ve had to replace was the result of a leak from the plastic tank itself. Both Mercedes - cracked plastic by the outlet hose. Three Volvos - cracked plastic.

With good coolant, it’s not the core that needs replacing, the aluminum survives for a very long time. The part that fails is the plastic tank.

That aluminum radiator may lack the heat exchanger flow/heat transfer you desire for the transmission oil cooler (emphasize may - it hasn’t been tested) and if that’s the big gripe, then plumb in an external cooler.

If the look of the aluminum bothers you, coat it.

But I wouldn’t be looking for a new core on old plastic tanks - that’s putting the most failure prone part of your old radiator back in service - a recipe for imminent failure.

Last edited:
It sounds like the original radiator is a copper/brass radiator with plastic end tanks?

I've never seen a radiator like that. All of the copper/brass radiators I've seen have copper/brass end tanks soldered on.

Supposedly, an aluminum radiator has better heat transfer than an equivalent thickness copper/brass one.

Every single plastic tank radiator that I’ve had to replace was the result of a leak from the plastic tank itself. Both Mercedes - cracked plastic by the outlet hose. Three Volvos - cracked plastic.

With good coolant, it’s not the core that needs replacing, the aluminum survives for a very long time. The part that fails is the plastic tank.

That aluminum radiator may lack the heat exchanger flow/heat transfer you desire for the transmission oil cooler (emphasize may - it hasn’t been tested) and if that’s the big gripe, then plumb in an external cooler.

If the look of the aluminum bothers you, coat it.

But I wouldn’t be looking for a new core on old plastic tanks - that’s putting the most failure prone part of your old radiator back in service - a recipe for imminent failure.
It’s the overall quality and design. I have no issues or concerns with plastic end radiators. Yea, I get it that they can fatigue/crack/leak. There’s no objective evidence that this one has any issues, and I’d prefer an OE looking one in my car.

The AT cooler has many issues. Poor quality welding in, I had to clean residues, the threads aren’t great and there’s no backing hex to help get the dissimilar hose connection off, etc.

As I don’t have another choice at least for a while I did go get paint to at least make it matte black. But Im NOT happy at the look/quality/divergence from OEM.

I’ve yet to see a plastic end radiator just explode underhood. They do crack, can seep from hairlines, etc. I get it. But mine hasn’t, the plastic looks in spectacular condition, and frankly it’s a risk I’d prefer to take as I understand the risks…

It sounds like the original radiator is a copper/brass radiator with plastic end tanks?

I've never seen a radiator like that. All of the copper/brass radiators I've seen have copper/brass end tanks soldered on.

Supposedly, an aluminum radiator has better heat transfer than an equivalent thickness copper/brass one.
The copper seen through the AT cooler port was kind of surprising to me. I figured it was all aluminum with plastic tanks.

Copper should have higher heat transfer coefficients than aluminum.

Back