Busted radiator and fan, chance of engine damage?

Your engine is fine. As the radiator drained your water pump was still sucking up what was in the bottom and pushing it through the engine with positive pressure.

My biggest concern is #4, but then junkyard engines sit around for years with air in the coolant passages and they do fine when pressed back into service. Maybe you could get a radiator in there in the next couple weeks, fill with coolant, then fiddle with the fan clutch when you get more time?
A few weeks, maybe early September is doable. I can fill and flush too. I just have so many other time commitments. Really didn’t need this to happen tonight.

Wow, this is not your week my fellow BITOGER. I read your B&S mower problem and now this.

I had a hose burst on me a few years ago, also on the freeway. Granted, this was winter and must have been 50 degrees. I coasted to a stop. Since I was 3 miles from home, I turned on my hazards, and began the drive home. I would accelerate up to 60mph then turn the engine off and coast to a stop. I did this 6 or so times until I got home. It was the lower radiator hose that blew, so that engine had no coolant. Engine is running fine now 2 years later. I’d wager yours is fine.

As others have said, you'll be fine, it doesn't sound like it ran long enough for you to cause any damage. How frustrating with that Chinese whitebox garbage, ugh. Your plan to get the OE HD unit is wise, and good luck on sourcing an OE rad, hope you can find one, I doubt that one is repairable, but I'm not a rad expert.

As others have said, you'll be fine, it doesn't sound like it ran long enough for you to cause any damage. How frustrating with that Chinese whitebox garbage, ugh. Your plan to get the OE HD unit is wise, and good luck on sourcing an OE rad, hope you can find one, I doubt that one is repairable, but I'm not a rad expert.
Radiators are NLA. Some others may marginally fit with rerouting of AT cooler lines at minimum.

The Chinese welded aluminum may be the best bet unfortunately.

You have choices for repair in Jersey, Trenton comes to mind. There is a shop just west of Trenton station, seen it for 30 years from the train.

How many miles did that fan have on it? Just curious.
Call it 208k miles.

You have choices for repair in Jersey, Trenton comes to mind. There is a shop just west of Trenton station, seen it for 30 years from the train.
There are lots. My prior go to guy in Delaware has become old and flaky. But this was an easy diy.

Do you know what the shop you see is called?

Call it 208k miles.

There are lots. My prior go to guy in Delaware has become old and flaky. But this was an easy diy.

Do you know what the shop you see is called?
A-Z? Not sure but A-Z has been in business for 45 years.

Back