Brake Flush Question

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Sometime in the next few months, I'll be doing a brake job on the Camry. When flushing the system, is there anything more that's needed other than running clean brake fluid through the lines and calipers? Would some sort of cleaner or solvent be useful to get the lines really clean? I'm asking because the car has had questionable, and possibly poor, maintenance during the time before I purchased it.

Sometime in the next few months, I'll be doing a brake job on the Camry. When flushing the system, is there anything more that's needed other than running clean brake fluid through the lines and calipers? Would some sort of cleaner or solvent be useful to get the lines really clean? I'm asking because the car has had questionable, and possibly poor, maintenance during the time before I purchased it.
Nope, no solvent. Just fresh fluid.

What do you know about flushing brakes it seems not so much from your question..
There are a few pitfalls you could run into if not careful.

I've done the Scion tC many times basically the same as the Camry.. just clear tubing on the bleeder screw at the caliper.. bleed it until it's clean looking fluid. I've never had to use solvent, brake fluid is something that can take paint off a car, I'd say it's mostly a solvent already!

short answer.. nope only flush the system until it's clean..

Don't use anything but fresh clean brake fluid. Before you start suck out as much brake fluid out of the master cylinder as possible w/o introducing air into the brake lines. Then fill it with fresh fluid and open the bleeder on the calipers and proceed, with one at a time. Top up after each caliper, let the fluid run out until it is nice and clean. I generally use about a quart to do all four calipers.

What do you know about flushing brakes it seems not so much from your question..
There are a few pitfalls you could run into if not careful.
I've only done two brake jobs and they were many years ago. What pitfalls should I be aware of?

I've only done two brake jobs and they were many years ago. What pitfalls should I be aware of?
Don't let the system run dry during the process and do not press down on the brake pedal down to the floor if you are manually bleeding them. Hopefully the breeder screws come loose without breaking them.

The best would be a pressure bleeder! You set up pressure and just go from caliper to caliper.
Toyota has some kind of oval cap so you must make sure pressure bleeder fits well. But with that, it is safest and best method:

You set up pressure:
Bleeding master.jpg

You open valves and bleed:

Bleeding front Brembo.jpg

Camry's have a very simple brake setup. They're as easy as they come.
Not sure what that has to do with this job. It has everything that more complex vehicles have. Actually, due to design of brake fluid reservoir, it takes more time to properly flush it than BMW, Mercedes etc. if one is doing pressure bleed, which is the way to go.
Doing it manually can easily introduce air, either at reservoir or at valve position.

On a non-hybrid Camry? Not many. Though, I am personally skeptical of anyone who claims to consistently get a good pedal after using a pneumatic vacuum bleeder.

Either buy a decent pressure bleeder or let a shop handle it.

The BG machine my dealer uses is really nice. It's a (relatively) inexpensive service, too.

My method works but takes a lot of time. When starting a brake job or flush, I open all the bleeders and let the system run dry. when they all stop dripping I close all the bleeders. I fill the master cylinders and start bleeding from the furthest wheel from the master cylinder. I open the bleed screw and let it drip until it has no air bubbles. Then I work my way towards the master cylinder.

My method works but takes a lot of time. When starting a brake job or flush, I open all the bleeders and let the system run dry. when they all stop dripping I close all the bleeders. I fill the master cylinders and start bleeding from the furthest wheel from the master cylinder. I open the bleed screw and let it drip until it has no air bubbles. Then I work my way towards the master cylinder.
I have some Brembos on my Gen Coupe that gravity bleed really well. Does take a while.

Imagine purposely letting air into your brake system and suggesting others do the same.

My Accent with the original bleeder screws were rusted away so no wrench would fit. But all it takes is a bit of heat form a torch and they come out pretty easy. Always best to use a 6 point box end wrench.

Though, I am personally skeptical of anyone who claims to consistently get a good pedal after using a pneumatic vacuum bleeder.
That must be what I’m getting wrong, not sure I’ve had a good pedal after doing any caliper swaps. My VW, I did a couple of caliper replacements and that car seemed ok, but any other time, just never the same.

But just pulling fluid, no caliper change? don’t think I‘ve noticed a difference, other than it feels better (probably placebo effect after doing all that work).

Back