Boxed Motor Oil WARNING

Isn't a boxed motor oil worse for the environment? Pretty sure the bag is not recyclable as opposed to a plastic jug which is recyclable.

Isn't a boxed motor oil worse for the environment? Pretty sure the bag is not recyclable as opposed to a plastic jug which is recyclable.

Most areas do not take used motor oil jugs. Too much contamination. With the box you can recycle the cardboard which just leaves the plastic bladder for discarding.

Most areas do not take used motor oil jugs. Too much contamination. With the box you can recycle the cardboard which just leaves the plastic bladder for discarding.

much less plastic in the bag vs a jug.

Meh, it is a data point of one.

I have three of these sitting on my stash shelf since 1/19. I will admit the thought of a leak crossed my mind, nothing I am going to worry about unless I see this trending much more than one thread here about it.

I've got 2 or 3 Havoline Pro DS 0w20 boxes sitting in a cabinet in my garage. They've been there for more than a year. No issues. I like them because of their convenience for storing a stash, since they can sit on top of one another.

As others have said, I've seen plenty of leaking bottles. But I've not seen leaks of the Mobil1 12 quart boxes in several Walmart stores where they had them stacked maybe 6 to 8 tall on a skid. I'm sure they have, but I'm not sure their leaking is more frequent than bottles.

But I'm sure the plastic liner is thinner. I just will be sure to buy boxes that look to be in good shape with no damage or visible issues.

Over the summer a friend of mine got sprayed in the face by one of those. Went to gas up his chainsaw. The gascan was sitting in the hot jeep all day. Hit the button to open the valve and it sprayed out bigtime!
I have one under the porch for the mower, volatile Winter gas leftover in the late spring. I caught it before it blew. The jug was round. The most moronic idea ever put into practice.
I'm waiting for mandates requiring exhaust after-treatment and bluedef requirement on my house Oil burner/Boiler exhaust next.
Home oil burners are surprisingly dated and need some modern controls like burn quality feedback. But they have to be VERY robust.

I had to go box to get the mobile 1 0w40 recently at wall mart they was sold out of the 5 quart jugs. I had a couple leftover 5quart empty bottles and put the oil into them.

Boxed oil is a stupid idea. JMO,
I can understand a large 20gal carboy for a service center and maybe 5 gal. for Diesel OC.
But under quantity that I don't see it. the HDPE bottles are readily recyclable, and the box will require cardboard and a PE or ?? bladder.

Boxed oil is a stupid idea. JMO,
I agree. As long as there are plastic bottles and jugs, the boxed oil won't find its way into my basement or garage.
27.gif

All it takes is a Wallyworld employee to slightly nick one of these with a box cutter when they unwrap and stack. At first the container will look okay for a few days - but that pinhole will weep, weep, weep.

And here where I live, they will take plastic quarts, jugs, etc. empty or not - (Refilled with used oil) for "Recycling". They just drain any excess oil from the containers and then send the plastic scrap to the landfill. Paper, cardboard and plastics are considered contaminated after any petroleum exposure and will not be recycled. If not dropped into a landfill to rot, it''s incinerated for us to recycle ourselves as we breathe or drink well water. o_O

LOL, like everyone here hasn’t seen leaky plastic jugs on store shelves. Plastic jugs crack and split at the seams - cardboard gets knicked or torn....

Inspect your purchases carefully regardless of packaging and you won’t have problems. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

All it takes is a Wallyworld employee to slightly nick one of these with a box cutter when they unwrap and stack. At first the container will look okay for a few days - but that pinhole will weep, weep, weep.

And here where I live, they will take plastic quarts, jugs, etc. empty or not - (Refilled with used oil) for "Recycling". They just drain any excess oil from the containers and then send the plastic scrap to the landfill. Paper, cardboard and plastics are considered contaminated after any petroleum exposure and will not be recycled. If not dropped into a landfill to rot, it''s incinerated for us to recycle ourselves as we breathe or drink well water. o_O

I’ve seen plastic jugs leak from the same treatment. The end result is the same. Those plastic jugs get incinerated or buried so you can drink the oil from your well

Meh, it is a data point of one.

I have three of these sitting on my stash shelf since 1/19. I will admit the thought of a leak crossed my mind, nothing I am going to worry about unless I see this trending much more than one thread here about it.
You have solid logic but as a security measure Id put the box in a grocery bag. You never know. Just like using your favorite motor oil instead of some other brand it just helps you sleep at night.

Back