Boxed Motor Oil WARNING

In October 2019 I bought a 6qt box of Havoline 5w-20 conventional and I have yet to use it. Its a cardboard box with a plastic bag so I kept it in a very safe place for storage. Fast forward to 12/29/20 the plastic bag gave way and leaked out all the oil making a huge mess. If you plan on storing box oil just be careful. I personally will never buy box oil ever again.

I caught some flack here a while back when I said I wouldn't buy boxed oil. I won't buy boxed oil as long as it remains available in plastic bottles. There is a risk of leaks or something poking through the box and the internal bladder causing a big mess, no thanks.
27.gif

I caught some flack here a while back when I said I wouldn't buy boxed oil. I won't buy boxed oil as long as it remains available in plastic bottles. There is a risk of leaks or something poking through the box and the internal bladder causing a big mess, no thanks.
27.gif
Besides … folks might see it and think you drink boxed wine 😷

27.gif

I have to admit... I prefer plastic oil containers too. Especially the one by Valvoline 5 qt container. Those are very well designed. They pour perfectly and they seal well too.

I have a number of qt containers around and some Mobil Super 5 qt containers too. Plus some Cam2 Superpromax quart bottles.

In October 2019 I bought a 6qt box of Havoline 5w-20 conventional and I have yet to use it. Its a cardboard box with a plastic bag so I kept it in a very safe place for storage. Fast forward to 12/29/20 the plastic bag gave way and leaked out all the oil making a huge mess. If you plan on storing box oil just be careful. I personally will never buy box oil ever again.

So... What you are saying is .. you had a indoor/inside the house Exxon Valdez accident... Not bueno.

May be worth an email to Havoline. Maybe they'll replace it. Maybe they'll tell you to kick rocks.

Never know.

This "environmentally friendly packaging" seems headed in the direction of the CARB compliant POS gas cans that result in a whole bunch of spilled gas trying to use the **** things
That's silly. This is obviously a defective container, we've seen many of the conventional jugs or quarts of oil leak on here over the years. Many people have ordered online and when received the box is wet with leaked oil.

The polymers used in the box liner are likely the same as the quart bottles or larger jugs, anything containing a liquid can and will leak for many reasons. This is just making stuff up that happens to be in line with your politics or world view but is unsupported by any actual facts.

This "environmentally friendly packaging" seems headed in the direction of the CARB compliant POS gas cans that result in a whole bunch of spilled gas trying to use the **** things

Over the summer a friend of mine got sprayed in the face by one of those. Went to gas up his chainsaw. The gascan was sitting in the hot jeep all day. Hit the button to open the valve and it sprayed out bigtime!

That's silly. This is obviously a defective container, we've seen many of the conventional jugs or quarts of oil leak on here over the years. Many people have ordered online and when received the box is wet with leaked oil.

The polymers used in the box liner are likely the same as the quart bottles or larger jugs, anything containing a liquid can and will leak for many reasons. This is just making stuff up that happens to be in line with your politics or world view but is unsupported by any actual facts.

OP simply put out a warning citing his experience which is factual, no? I don't see a political leaning in the OP's post. Do you?

I bought my first cardboard box oil and have mixed feelings. I like doing my part for the environment but manufacturers can do a better job with the delivery system. Time and evolution will write the last page on that one.

I wouldn't likely get a boxed container as it's unwieldy. Gallon or 5l jugs make more sense to me as you can pour directly from that into the engine. My engine takes 4.5 liters so I have another 0.5 for topping off or ten oil changes from 9 jugs

Back