Newly Acquired '16 Ford Fiesta SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Burt
I really like my fiesta as well although it is a stick. Comfortable seats, padded surfaces where you need it

Believe it or not, the radio is better than the standard one in the bmw that I had.

You're only driving 3-4 k per around town so enjoy and chuckle at the people next to your in vehicles costing three times as much and burning three times the fuel.

This car has a fantastic stereo in it. It's got a Kicker sub woofer that's 10 or 12" plus 6 speakers including dual tweeters in front.

I had been boycotting American cars for decades but this car is very impressive and I really like it.
It's very comfortable for a small car and the ride is nice.

A guy at a lube place told me it had an under body splash guard and said it's supposedly missing but I don't think it ever had one. The Ford Focus has them but not the Fiesta, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I was thinking of replacing it at a cost of about $60 to supposedly improve the gas mileage. He found one online for $60 but when I tried I could only bring one up for the Focus.

Don't know anything about the splash guard and my hip hurts too much to go look. If all you're going to do is drive around town, the splash guard will have essentially no effect on wind resistance and add a tiny bit of weight, so don't bother adding. IMO.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke

A guy at a lube place told me it had an under body splash guard and said it's supposedly missing but I don't think it ever had one. The Ford Focus has them but not the Fiesta, but please correct me if I'm wrong. .

You are correct.

The 1st owner drove it 10k miles and traded it for something bigger because she was a big woman and had trouble getting in and out of it.
The second owner drove it 47k miles and bought an AWD Subaru because she acquired a new property with a very steep, sand driveway that the Fiesta had trouble getting up.

Regarding the transmission and the issues people are discussing, they are real. I'd find a helpful dealer who will apply ALL software updates for the transmission control module now. I'd have the transmission fluid changed yearly although there's no indication that doing this will avoid transmission issues these have. And the first time the transmission hiccups, take it to the dealer ASAP. Ford at the corporate level has all sorts of no-hassle options available for dealers, including swapping the transmission with a replacement.

I had been boycotting American cars for decades but this car is very impressive and I really like it.

The Fiesta isn't an "American" car. It was designed in Germany and models sold in the US, Canada, etc are built in Mexico.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

The Fiesta isn't an "American" car. It was designed in Germany and models sold in the US, Canada, etc are built in Mexico.

How do you explain to a Mexican that he's not American?

Originally Posted by Burt
I really like my fiesta as well although it is a stick. Comfortable seats, padded surfaces where you need it

Believe it or not, the radio is better than the standard one in the bmw that I had.

You're only driving 3-4 k per around town so enjoy and chuckle at the people next to your in vehicles costing three times as much and burning three times the fuel.

Your model is the basis for the R2 WRC rally car version, and having seen these things launch off of the starting line (and get the cuts and bruises from the rocks they throw doing such), in gravel, at ARA rallies, they are nothing short of AMAZING for a 3 cylinder ride!!
19.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

I think he was implying that he was boycotting U.S. company/domestic nameplate cars.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I think he was implying that he was boycotting U.S. company/domestic nameplate cars.
wink.gif

I realize that but I put little value in the name on the badge vs where it was built or where most of the parts are from. I consider cars like an Accord, Odyssey, Camry, and so on to be "American" cars.

I called the local Ford dealer, gave her the VIN and she said there is no recall on it and it's software should be up to date.

I'm getting the ATF replaced this week.
smile.gif

Also a 4 wheel alignment and cabin air filter. Now the car is close to ship shape.

Had to bring the car to a friend to get the oil drain plug loosened enough for me to be able to take it off myself and do my own OCIs. It was wayyyyyyy over tightened. I don't know why anyone would want to tighten an oil drain plug as much as this was. It only has to be slightly tight to stay put and prevent leaking. After I bought a 13mm wrench, I still couldn't get it loose, even by hitting the wrench with a small sledge hammer. I was afraid I'd round off the corners.
Mechanics working under a car on a lift have a lot more leverage than someone like me with drive on plastic ramps who crawls under the car to work on it with light duty tools. Crawled under it today and got it loose, so I drained out about 1/2 a qt. It was over filled, Not that I think it would have done any damage, it's just that I'm kind of a perfectionist about some things.

When October gets here I'm going to run NAPA 5w20 syn blend with a Motorcraft, Federated, or Fram OF.

Last edited:
Also a 4 wheel alignment and cabin air filter. Now the car is close to ship shape.

It's a GOOD thing you had the dealer do the cabin air filter, since it is a ***** to DIY!

Besides the requisite skinned knuckles, and shoulder/neck/arm soreness from contorting into such a tiny foot well to get to it, I almost
37.gif
all over the interior due to the nausea from working upside down for so long to get everything apart and back together again.
frown.gif

The dealer IS going to do this for me the next time it needs replacing.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dailydriver

It's a GOOD thing you had the dealer do the cabin air filter, since it is a ***** to DIY!

Besides the requisite skinned knuckles, and shoulder/neck/arm soreness from contorting into such a tiny foot well to get to it, I almost
37.gif
all over the interior due to the nausea from working upside down for so long to get everything apart and back together again.
frown.gif

The dealer IS going to do this for me the next time it needs replacing.
wink.gif

You can do it of you have star tool heads and a 1/4" wrench to turn it from the side on the upper 2 screws.
It's not Allen head screws, they're star headed.
It's not bad after the 1st time.
You can get the filter for Most places seem to charge $30 to $40 to replace one.

^^^Yes, I know this, and had all of the exact 'proper' tools at hand, but loathe contorting myself in a tight, confined space while upside down to do this job.
frown.gif

I used a Rock Auto bought Motorcraft filter, forgot what i paid for it, as I bought a couple, combined with the Motorcraft engine filter to save on shipping from them.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ

Yeah. The Power Shift transmission is a problem

I would say was a problem in a small % of cars.
By 2016 the majority of problems were taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back