Boxed Motor Oil WARNING

I personally love the oil boxes can fit more volume of oil on my shelves. :D. Have many boxes over a year not a single leak.

I personally love the oil boxes can fit more volume of oil on my shelves. :D. Have many boxes over a year not a single leak.
Yeah … I used to catch the Costco sales and stacked the six pack boxes … wish Walmart sold them cheap.

I don't have to do that, I get it delivered to my door on the same truck that's bringing other stuff already. Easy peasy.

Again, I don't grocery shop at Walmart. You do. Good for you!

PS: You are getting bent out of shape over the method of delivery for probably 0.2% of that parcel's travel distance.

Yes, it will DESTROY our economy the way Walmart DESTROYED our economy
Walmart and Amazon are completely different business model, though I will acknowledge Walmart is trying to take a big bite out of Amazon, as I see many of their online products are now dropped shipped from other vendors. I know a few years ago I stupidly purchased a Sherwood receiver through Walmart online and it was a piece of garbage, It didn't work and there was no warranty on a new Item and the vendor had "disappeared". It went in the two different recycling bins at work.

We used to have about seven Electronics and appliance stores around, here now there is only Best Buy 25 miles away.

There is a Wallgreens, Rite Aide and CVS every 5 mile block though. Do they think the Elderly and the informed have to walk or wheel their wheelchair to the drive up window for drug service?

The demise of brick and motor stores means no local jobs and also means your kids are sleeping in your basement.
At age 27 and jobless.

Let’s get back to boxed oil before the mods lock this up.
Sorry for the hijack, my point is important as I've witnessed the destruction of our economy first hand starting in the late 90's We all saw it coming. But didn't do enough.

O.K.

Boxed Oil Survey.

Have you purchased boxed oil recently? N

Have to had issues with the packaging such as leakage or rupture? NA

Would you purchase boxed oil in the future? Y

Walmart and Amazon are completely different business model, though I will acknowledge Walmart is trying to take a big bite out of Amazon, as I see many of their online products are now dropped shipped from other vendors. I know a few years ago I stupidly purchased a Sherwood receiver through Walmart online and it was a piece of garbage, It didn't work and there was no warranty on a new Item and the vendor had "disappeared". It went in the two different recycling bins at work.

We used to have about seven Electronics and appliance stores around, here now there is only Best Buy 25 miles away.

There is a Wallgreens, Rite Aide and CVS every 5 mile block though. Do they think the Elderly and the informed have to walk or wheel their wheelchair to the drive up window for drug service?

The demise of brick and motor stores means no local jobs and also means your kids are sleeping in your basement.
At age 27 and jobless.

There is a way around that. Most companies have their own retail setup on their websites. If they don’t then they haven’t adapted and won’t be around long.

I have greatly reduced my Amazon purchases and instead buy directly through the company websites when I can. There are also specialty companies with online sales I can go to.

At age 27 and jobless.
No it doesn't.

I'm going to make a couple new Amazon orders today just for you.

And I'll be sure to post the oil and filters in the recently purchased thread with screenshots as proof.

Since you want to make this oil topic about nothing but how awesome Walmart is and we should give them all our money and Amazon is going to destory us lol

But on topic, it will NOT be in a box

There is a way around that. Most companies have their own retail setup on their websites. If they don’t then they haven’t adapted and won’t be around long.

I have greatly reduced my Amazon purchases and instead buy directly through the company websites when I can. There are also specialty companies with online sales I can go to.
I do buy my oil at Walmart but you can get parts at a comparable price if you join the rewards programs at AAP, AZ, and O'Reilly. Amazon usually has the best price but most of the time not by much. To me, it's worth the difference for the convenience of taking things back if needed or receiving them within a day if not in stock.
Of course, you can find oil deals at the parts stores,as most of us know, at certain times of the year.

I bought Supertech in 12qt boxes...no issues personally. I do have to say its little pain in butt to have to fill a jug and keep it clean etc then dump it. Its alot of BS for little cost savings...Not to mention the possibility for dirt contamination during the fill.

Shout out for Jegs … just got gear oil in good fitting tight packed box + taped up caps = bone dry 👍🏼

422ADA29-9629-42A4-8C16-8404A2104EB9.jpeg

I've recently bought many jugs and boxes w/bags of motor oil. I have to admit some concern about the potential of leaking, but am hoping that the "leaks" are only caused by impacts and as long as I don't smash them around no leaks will form. Afterall, I don't see a particular reason why plastic would spring leaks. I'll be monitoring it.

Blast from the not so distant pass thread. My opinions of boxed oil remains the same, I'll stick with jugs, and recycle the empties when I'm done. The boxed motor oil containers is still a big NO THANKS for me.

I have used the 6qt Havoline boxes without issue, but only had a couple at a time.

I recently bought 8, 12qt boxes of M1 HM 5W20 for $1/qt (super deal!) on Walmart closeout.
I examined the packaging and suspect that, if it did leak, it would likely come from where the spigot penetrates the bag.
Thanks to this thread, I store the boxes spigot up as a precaution.

I just bought my first box, the bag is awfully thin. Probably transfer them to jugs, the deal was worth it.

To be fair I had a 5qt plastic jug of Mobil 5000 that developed a leak at the bottom after 2 years storage. The jugs can leak too.

Well after reading about the leak in the plastic bag I think I would limit how many I might buy at a time.
Box would be convenient for me, more so the 6 quart box as my engine requires 6 quarts for a oil change. Still plenty of deals for 5 quart juggs that you can stock up on to last a year or two.

I received several thousand quarts of motor oil in the last month from the Hurricane Walmart event. Most by Fedex and other carriers. Approximately 8% was Havoline box/bags and zero leaked.
Approximately 90% was 5 qt jugs, and I had about 11-15 jugs that leaked during transit and was a mess when received.
About 2% were 1 qt bottles, and I had 9 quarts that leaked at the cap, also a big mess when arrived.

Aside from these, I have 5 M1 box/bags on a shelf now for a few months and none have leaked.

I've never personally had a jug leak once in my possession, but they do have a design weakness at the seam. I'm theorizing that he bags might not have a seam except at the cap and if they are stored upright the chance of leaking is almost zero if the bag is not damaged.

I'm no engineer but I think the box/bag is inherently a more rugged design that can take abuse as long as it's not heavily damaged. The outter card board can take a hit and the interior bag is more malleable and flexible to move around, like a willow tree. And two skins, is better than one, really. The jugs are more like the oak tree, thick and sturdy but dropped or impact can crease or damage the plastic and cause leaks. As I sit here, I'm actually becoming more a fan of the box/bag concept.

We shall see when I go to use them or if I develop any leakers.

Last edited:
Back