Boxed Motor Oil WARNING

I suppose if I were to use my box oil in a timely fashion and not hoard it like I normally do even though that is the BITOG way Id buy it again. I only bought the 6qt box for a 4.6L V8 Mustang that took 6qts. I no longer have the car as of this month and nothing in my fleet that takes more than a what a classic 5qt jug can fill so there's no longer a need. Now if Super Tech would be so kind to actually offer the 5qt jug of their full synthetic in 5w-30 flavor again as they ONLY offer the 12qt box now that would be great. I cant buy a 5qt jug of plain synthetic Super Tech 5w-30 anymore and that kills me, that is my favorite oil of all time. All full synthetic viscosities can be bought in a 5qt EXCEPT 5w-30. SHENANIGANS.

I buy my snowblower oil in a 28oz bag and have had zero issues. I've had it sitting on a shelf in my garage for a year with no problems. BTW Troy-Bilt, MTD 4 cycle engine oil, API SJ, 5W30.

Thanks for the heads up. I used a Havoline 6qt for an oil change yesterday, and really liked it overall. I’ll keep using them based on the price point, and my 3.6l Chrysler needing 6 quarts. It would be good to watch for more of this. I generally dont’ keep oil on the shelf for more than 6 months. This year being what it its, was more like 9 months. I only keep oil stock on hand for 1 oil change at a time.

The OP is not wrong to warn us of a possibility. I like/dislike the bag in a box concept myself. There's no reason to get upset. People can by oil by the handful if they want to. It makes no difference when it comes to my choice of container.

This thread has me worried. I wonder how widespread this problem is. I bought a number of boxed 6qt Havoline oil on sale that will be on my shelf for at least three years. I'm gonna be scrounging around for empty oil jugs to tranfer the oil for storage.

This thread has me worried. I wonder how widespread this problem is. I bought a number of boxed 6qt Havoline oil on sale that will be on my shelf for at least three years. I'm gonna be scrounging around for empty oil jugs to tranfer the oil for storage.
You could store them in a cheap plastic tote from the dollar store without the lid.

I doubt this is a widespread issue. Pure speculation but chances are it was an issue with a seam and caused a leak. Conjecture, yes. I support the move but IMHO whoever is manufacturing the bladders needs to come up with a better solution and I'd like to see a few options for a measuring device/container meant for this very purpose. I am on my second box of 5-30 ST. One is on the concrete floor of my basement for months and it's a-ok.

It’s much wider than a cereal box. Have you seen them before? Even though they have handles the last one broke.
I’ve used quite a few of the Havoline boxes. They are as convenient for pouring as the 5quart jugs. It’s literally the same size as those jugs.

The whole Havoline box process was stupid easy. If you have problems with it, well...

LOL. You’re gonna be fine. Keep them stored in a clean, dry place.

I'd be curious as to the safe space it was stored. I've known guys who would have quarts of oil they carried around in the trunk of their car or a pickup truck tool box. Safe yes, but probably not best place for long term storage of oil.

Hey NB...

Yeah the Cam2 Superpromax quart containers do seep.,. Though typically only after opening and using them. Prior to opening I have not had any issues.

I have seen Napa oil containers do the same thing... Federated Auto parts full synthetic oil qt containers made by Warren Distribution seep bad after opening. Mobil Super qt containers seep a lot too.

So Cam2 Superpromax oil qt containers are certainly not alone in this phenomena.

Hope you had a good Christmas day normanbuntz.

I'd be curious as to the safe space it was stored. I've known guys who would have quarts of oil they carried around in the trunk of their car or a pickup truck tool box. Safe yes, but probably not best place for long term storage of oil.

On a shelf in a cool dark place that never gets below 60 degrees or over 80 degrees along with all my automotive maintenance products. It has never been touched since purchase or in a possible scenario that could have led to user error from a puncture from something accidently hitting it.

On a shelf in a cool dark place that never gets below 60 degrees or over 80 degrees along with all my automotive maintenance products. It has never been touched since purchase or in a possible scenario that could have led to user error from a puncture from something accidently hitting it.
Walkout basement?

You just perfectly described my automotive storage location in my walkout basement (room with out windows)

Back