Boxed Motor Oil WARNING

That's silly. This is obviously a defective container, we've seen many of the conventional jugs or quarts of oil leak on here over the years. Many people have ordered online and when received the box is wet with leaked oil.

The polymers used in the box liner are likely the same as the quart bottles or larger jugs, anything containing a liquid can and will leak for many reasons. This is just making stuff up that happens to be in line with your politics or world view but is unsupported by any actual facts.
I assure you, spills from those ridiculous gas cans are not made up. They are in fact, actual, and widespread. Go find any discussion on gas cans if you don't believe me. ;)

I assure you, spills from those ridiculous gas cans are not made up. They are in fact, actual, and widespread. Go find any discussion on gas cans if you don't believe me. ;)
I was never talking about the gas cans, I was talking about your projection onto the oil boxes.

That's silly. This is obviously a defective container, we've seen many of the conventional jugs or quarts of oil leak on here over the years. Many people have ordered online and when received the box is wet with leaked oil.

The polymers used in the box liner are likely the same as the quart bottles or larger jugs, anything containing a liquid can and will leak for many reasons. This is just making stuff up that happens to be in line with your politics or world view but is unsupported by any actual facts.
I’ve been fortunate that the two times I’ve ordered 6 5 quart jugs of Chevron supreme from Walmart.com all 12 arrived Undamaged

14 months is not a very long storage period for a packaging failure like this. I'm guessing the box or bag was defective, or abused in shipping or something of the sort. I haven't heard of this before. Also, I didn't know that 5w20 grade is available as conventional.

I will buy the 6 quart box oil if I KNOW I’m going to use it almost immediately. Or at most, a week or two out. I actually don’t hoard a lot of oil because I want to make sure I have the weight and amount I need, rather than assume I do. It’s happened that I was sure I had the oil I needed, and found out I used it a month before and forgot. 😁

If that leaks out that's one hell of an oil spill. ;) Talk about environmentally friendly packaging.
If it’s like the Pennzoil 0w20 I bought … it was pretty stout. These are like what a Firestone or some other commercial place would use … found mine on eBay …

I hate those boxes for one thing they are hard to pour and I’ve only got two things that take 6 quarts of oil. I see them leaking all the time at the store. I’ll continue to buy mine in the plastic bottle that way I have the bottle to use afterwards too or put with my collection.

I hate those boxes for one thing they are hard to pour and I’ve only got two things that take 6 quarts of oil. I see them leaking all the time at the store. I’ll continue to buy mine in the plastic bottle that way I have the bottle to use afterwards too or put with my collection.

You probably were upset when they did away with cardboard cans too?

The Havoline box comes with easy instructions on how to open and pour and how to reuse for oil recycling as well.

You probably were upset when they did away with cardboard cans too?

The Havoline box comes with easy instructions on how to open and pour and how to reuse for oil recycling as well.
Never used the cardboard cans lol. I know it does but it’s so bulky like that it’s hard to pour and I’m so used to pouring the whole thing in last time I put about a 1/2 quart too much in my car because I’m used to only 5 quarts.

Never used the cardboard cans lol. I know it does but it’s so bulky like that it’s hard to pour and I’m so used to pouring the whole thing in last time I put about a 1/2 quart too much in my car because I’m used to only 5 quarts.

Cardboard cans were notorious for leaking. As for the box, it’s the size of a large cereal box so the word bulky is not really applicable here.

Cardboard cans were notorious for leaking. As for the box, it’s the size of a large cereal box so the word bulky is not really applicable here.

It’s much wider than a cereal box. Have you seen them before? Even though they have handles the last one broke.

The 6 quart packaging is perfect for my applications. I don’t think the 6 qt box is any harder to handle than a 5 qt plastic jug.
Of the 4 boxes I have used, none have leaked even when I filled them up with used oil to take to recycle.

Meanwhile I have a jug of Mobil1 0w40 that has a mystery Coating of oil forming along the sight glass. liquids leak out of containers. My bet on the leak of the Havoline box is it has to do with previous handling by people who drop things , crush things and drop the on our porches.

For some reason the thread title reminded me of this

DCT4lRm.gif

Back