"Boutique" Brands

Originally Posted by buster
I often feel compelled to support small businesses. How do you feel about supporting the smaller blenders vs the major corporations? I know for many, it's a risk due to a lack of approvals.

I need a product that performs per the requirements of my engine. By definition it is then a complete product.
With Mobil1 Truck and SUV available from TSC for $15/5qt and then a $12 rebate or RGT on closeout at AZ for $10/5qt and a $10 rebate then it is just silly for me to buy anything else.

When I can choose free, $3, or $60 for 5 quarts of oil then the question pretty much answers itself.

The 'boutique' stuff might be good for somebody but it just doesn't have a reasonable value proposition from my perspective.

It's not special, it isn't priced right, and it doesn't accomplish anything the mass market oils don't already do an excellent job of.

YMMV.
Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by userfriendly
I'd rather buy a cheaper oil that meets the engine requirements and change it more often.

How much do you spend per oil change and how often do you change your oil ?

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I'd rather buy a cheaper oil that meets the engine requirements and change it more often.

That's the thing. $20 every 5k miles or $50 every 15k miles. I'll take the later.

I just bought Amsoil SS for my wife car
I'll run it probably 18 months or 9K miles for
$90 bucks
That's a deal win win for me !!ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
That's the thing. $20 every 5k miles or $50 every 15k miles. I'll take the later.

Mobil 1 EP is $50 there? Here it is only $25 at Walmart.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Mobil 1 EP is $50 there? Here it is only $25 at Walmart.

Did he say M1 EP for $50 ???

No he did not !!!!!

Expected nothing less from you !!🤬

You need a Covid-19 vacation.........Soon

It's apparent you've been quarantined to long !!

Last edited:
It amazes me how cheap some people really are. Even the most expensive oil, you're looking at approximately $60-$70 for an oil change that will be good for at least 6 months to a year. Of all the things in life, oil is inexpensive.

It amazes me how cheap some people really are. Even the most expensive oil, you're looking at approximately $60-$70 for an oil change that will be good for at least 6 months to a year. Of all the things in life, oil is inexpensive.

What's even more amazing is when people are willing to pay any more than what is necessary for the appropriate product.
You need what you need and you pay for it.
Per my previous post in this thread, for me that's almost never more than a few dollars.

If someone else wants to shell out between $50 and $100 that's good on them. I'll get the exact same functionality and protection for under $5, thank you very much.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Did he say M1 EP for $50 ???

No he did not !!!!!

Expected nothing less from you !!🤬

You need a Covid-19 vacation.........Soon

It's apparent you've been quarantined to long !!

Wow, trigger much?

Originally Posted by Imp4

What's even more amazing is when people are willing to pay any more than what is necessary for the appropriate product.
You need what you need and you pay for it.
Per my previous post in this thread, for me that's almost never more than a few dollars.

If someone else wants to shell out between $50 and $100 that's good on them. I'll get the exact same functionality and protection for under $5, thank you very much.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

I agree. I have no problem supporting small businesses, to a point. A few percent more doesn't matter, but when I'm going to pay double, or more in the case of some of these boutique oils to support the small business man, I'd much rather support myself.

I haven't used a boutique brand in quite some time. I'm using Mobil 1 now and have a good amount on hand. I brought this up as I was thinking about things in a larger context. I understand those that don't want or need to shell out more money for expensive oil they don't need. With oil, you generally get what you pay for. More expensive oil has more expensive components in it, unless it's a brand riding on their marketing (Royal Purple comes to mind).

I didn't start using synthetic until 2001, which was when I joined BITOG. I've always said that if Mobil 1 didn't exist, I would have likely been a Redline or Amsoil customer because at that time, the shelf brands were pretty pathetic other than Mobil 1. Now the major brand synthetics are very good.

I don't own any high performance cars, so using a boutique brand offers me little benefit. I'd have no issue though spending a bit more to support a small American blender. It's not like it's significantly more money to the point I'll be breaking the bank. LOL

I haven't used a boutique brand in quite some time. I'm using Mobil 1 now and have a good amount on hand. I brought this up as I was thinking about things in a larger context. I understand those that don't want or need to shell out more money for expensive oil they don't need. With oil, you generally get what you pay for. More expensive oil has more expensive components in it, unless it's a brand riding on their marketing (Royal Purple comes to mind).

I didn't start using synthetic until 2001, which was when I joined BITOG. I've always said that if Mobil 1 didn't exist, I would have likely been a Redline or Amsoil customer because at that time, the shelf brands were pretty pathetic other than Mobil 1. Now the major brand synthetics are very good.

I don't own any high performance cars, so using a boutique brand offers me little benefit. I'd have no issue though spending a bit more to support a small American blender. It's not like it's significantly more money to the point I'll be breaking the bank. LOL

I agree, it's not breaking the bank for me either. I want to see some value, and with some of these boutique companies I don't see the value, for my applications. I also want to like the business model.

In my business I can save money by not supporting the local businessman and easily buy paint at Home Depot. But I see value spending a bit more at my local supplier so I support him. I also like his business model, and the better CS.

I'm not suggesting either that people should spend more on oil than they have to. Here is an example though. A friend of mine drives around in an $80k pickup truck. He thinks Mobil 1 expensive.
crackmeup2.gif
He probably spends $80 to fill his truck up with gas that gets 12 mpg but he complains about the cost of oil, which could last him at the very least 6 months.

Right - the inconvenience of oil changes is helped by using a superior product in the most expensive part of our vehicles. I was sold on synthetic base stocks from the get-go, along with quality filters. Whether overworked with kids or retired and creaky joints, this philosophy works well. Dexos kind of sealed the deal requiring at least a synthetic blend - not only for marketing money, but reduced warranty expense from sticky VVT servo valves. Modern engines demand it now, but it was a time savings decades ago.

I'm not suggesting either that people should spend more on oil than they have to. Here is an example though. A friend of mine drives around in an $80k pickup truck. He thinks Mobil 1 expensive.
crackmeup2.gif
He probably spends $80 to fill his truck up with gas that gets 12 mpg but he complains about the cost of oil, which could last him at the very least 6 months.

Yep, 80k for the truck, then nickel and dime food when feeding it.
Makes no sense.

Agree..... it's sometimes funny reading the discussions from such members here.

Just like vehicles are different in quality and price, so are quality differences in oils for that vehicle. If identical use of two identical TGDI / GDI vehicle engines were used for 15 years - one using a cheap housebrand synthetic and the other either Mobil-1 EP, PUP or Valvoline Advanced, you would see a difference 15 years later, as to why quality prevails in a vast majority of times.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Agree..... it's sometimes funny reading the discussions from such members here.

Just like vehicles are different in quality and price, so are quality differences in oils for that vehicle. If identical use of two identical TGDI / GDI vehicle engines were used for 15 years - one using a cheap housebrand synthetic and the other either Mobil-1 EP, PUP or Valvoline Advanced, you would see a difference 15 years later, as to why quality prevails in a vast majority of times.

Balderdash!
There's just no substantiation for the claim you have made and this board has crossed that bridge countless times in the past.

15k on one change is a good idea, right? No.No matter what oil you use. Show me all the UOAs you can find, that [censored] is filthy. Unless you have a bypass toilet paper filter

The last truck I bought was a 2018 Chev 3500 Highcountry with a sticker price of $88,000 Canadian.
The dealership did the first 2 oil changes for free. (I did a couple in between's) with the cheapest CK-4 15W40 I could find.
Shell T4 was on for $59/5gal pail which is $42 USD at today's exchange rate. That is about $30 per oil change plus tax and the filter.

Now after break in, I just go off the olm which is 16,000 kms or 10,000 miles.
CK-4 15W40 meets the engine requirement for 9 months of the year.
I got a good deal on 2 pails of Delo 400 5W40 that I will use in 4 vehicles this winter, and 0W40 that was on sale for $88 USD/5 gal in two other.

Would I spend 2x the money per oil change to extend my oil change intervals by double? Not a chance.
The way I see it, if you have time to play on your computer all day, your time is not all that valuable.

Gotta love it around here lately. Seems like everyone should be shopping at Dollar General store or looking at clearance pricing otherwise "we're just spending too much time and money on other choices we are making.Not everyone enjoys walking into Walmart either believe it or not.

Every one can spend money on things on how they see fit.

Back