Bought this truck last night for $3300

Nice 👍 how's the 3.7? I really don't know anything about that motor
The 3.7L V/6 and it's bigger 4.7L V/8 brother do not have a good reputation. These are the engines that have valve seat, head gasket, and lash adjuster problems. They are also highly prone to oil sludging, the use of a quality synthetic oil and short OCIs are a must with these.

My aunt bought a new single cab short bed Ram of that same body style back in the last model year of the 3.7. I can't remember what year it was, maybe 2011 or 2012. Back then I thought V6s never belonged in a truck. I borrowed her truck for a week and changed my mind. It did just fine for what was needed. It was new, and she always traded hers in every 3 years, so I can't speak for longevity.

I think you got a good deal. It really doesn't matter what any of us think, though, as long as you think you got a good deal.

The 3.7L V/6 and it's bigger 4.7L V/8 brother do not have a good reputation. These are the engines that have valve seat, head gasket, and lash adjuster problems. They are also highly prone to oil sludging, the use of a quality synthetic oil and short OCIs are a must with these.
All depends on who you ask. The 4.7 seemed to have more valve seat issues than the 3.7 did why I don't know. Head gaskets were only a problem if overheated. They weren't an engine that handled getting hot very well. The 4.7 had the rocker arm issues I've dealt with that before. The 3.7 I guess did but I've never seen one.
A lot of guys on the dodge ram forums that have had Excellent service from them. The internet just makes things bigger than it is.

Also always seems that everyone loves to hate Chrysler.
The Ford 4.6 had intake issues spark plug issues and timing chain tensioners that weren't uncommon buts it's a well regarded motor. The 4.7 Chrysler has rockers some times valve seats usually if it's overheated but they can fail especially the early ones and they get a bad reputation. That never made sense to me.
The 3.7 / 4.7 aren't bad they have their faults but if cared for they do pretty well for a lot of people. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: JTK
Nice find! Is the dash in good shape? This vintage has a horrible time with the plastic dash board bits cracking and crumbling to bits.

I've seen many high mileage jeeps with it. In the truck it does ok it's not a powerhouse by any means. My guess is most people that drive big v8 trucks could do what they needed to do with a 3.7 ram but they won't because they need a big v8. I bought it as a vehicle to haul the family around in and go camping and taking there go kart out for a ride at parks. It's good for all of that. Most I'll ever pull is a couple thousand lbs so it'll work well for me.
That 3.7 can be a distance runner if well maintained.

Last edited:
The main thing is not to overhead it. A good syn 5w30 with a 5k OCI plus flush/fill the coolant every few years and it can go well past 200k. Overheat it and the valve seat issue can rear its head but it depends on how hot for how long.

I have seen a number of 3.7s well into the 200's and running well and a few 4.7s near 300k.

We run Mobil 1 HM 5w30 in our 4.7 with a Fram filter. It's got relatively few miles for a 2004. Runs like a clock.

My buddy has a Grand Cherokee 4.7 that he drove to over 300k, no major issues. My mom had a 2005 4.7L Durango she drove to 200k, now it belongs to my brother in law. Only engine issue was an exhaust manifold needed to be replaced. Both speak very highly of them.

While the 4.7/3.7 twins aren’t perfect, they compare favorably to a lot of other engines that don’t get bad reputations despite having design flaws. People just love to bash Chrysler for some reason…

with a body that looks that good you did well , even if you havre to drop a motor or trans in it.

We have a Dodge engine guy here in western,Ky, He showed me about the dropped valve seat on the 4.7L. He tells that the valve seats don't expad like the head does and they will come out if revved higher that 5k regularly. My truck has the 5.7L and it does the same. Just a fact with aluminum heads and hardened valve seats. I personally would still prefer cast iron heads.

Just a fact with aluminum heads and hardened valve seats. I personally would still prefer cast iron heads.

Shouldn't most modern engines from, say, the late 90's+ (many earlier than that) have that problem? I've never had a valve seat drop, and aside from a 3.8L GM engine in a Pontiac I owned, every car I've owned has had aluminum heads.

Sounds like an excellent score. Pics suggest you did amazing. I had a 3.7 and it was fine. The trucks got a different intake for a stronger torque curve than the Jeeps. I towed with the 3.7 in the Jeep with 2.7:1 gears iirc. With better gearing, I can see the 3.7 being just fine for 90% of typical truck use, and I’d hope that configuration would be decent mpg, less cost to own. That is a 90 degree v6, which is rather unique these days.

Back