Bought this truck last night for $3300

I bought a 2wd 2006 ram 1500 yesterday. Has the 3.7 engine. The engine was replaced and has 160,000 miles on it. The truck has 305,000. One owner, most of the maintenance records and runs great. Even has new Michelin tires!
Needs an ac compressor windshield has a crack and the tachometer doesn't work correctly. Interior is a 9/10 no rips or stains. I feel pretty good about this deal especially in this market!

Attachments

• 20220415_011855.jpg
    20220415_011855.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220415_011840.jpg
    20220415_011840.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 89
I think you did well. Several years ago I bought a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 with 270k miles on it and flipped it. There honestly wasn't much wrong with it other than ball joints and needing some normal maintenance. It was that truck that make me believe Chrysler products might not be all bad and started me down the path of being ok with owning one.

#1 rule of buying cars is not to buy at night or in the rain. Hopefully the frame isn't like Swiss cheese.
It's got Missouri plates, so unless he lives in the northern third of the state, shouldn't be a big issue on a 2006. But then again, it could be a transplant, but hopefully OP did his due diligence.

Presently I'd say that's not a bad deal, but a couple+ years ago I couldn't imagine paying $3k for a 300K base model. The 3.7L is probably a real turd in that pickup, but if it moves it around, that's all that matters. If I was looking for a runaround truck to haul stuff, do gopher duty (that a car/van can't handle), that sort of truck would be at the top of my list-- anything newer and lower mileage is way out of my price range these days for what I need out of a pickup.

People bash Chrysler endlessly, but personally I've had a really good experience with every Chrysler [insert whatever name they go by, Fiat/Stellantis/etc] vehicle I've owned.

Dont take this the wrong way, I would have paid less for this truck, like $3295

Just having fun, looks like you got a good deal, Good Luck!
I mean it's easy to say that but go actually do it. Pretty tall order especially in this market. It blue book for around 6k
Also ball joint are all new within the last year all the tie rods to. It's a very solid truck. It was all highway miles.

This is about the worst of the rust. It's all just surface superficial rust on the frame rails and such. The truck spent it's life in middle Missouri.

Attachments

• 20220415_215653.jpg
    20220415_215653.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220415_215649.jpg
    20220415_215649.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 51
Wheelman, Reach around and pat yourself on the back. I think you not only got a good deal, you got a great deal. Several of the risk value / expense items have already been taken care of. That vehicle is old enough that there are a plentiful population of used parts available. Chances are you can find a windshield in the yard, and same with the whole instrument cluster, not just the tach all for a reasonable price.

If the brakes, plugs, and filters have all been sorted, you have something of full depreciated value that you can drive in the category of what I call "cheap to keep".

Wheelman, Reach around and pat yourself on the back. I think you not only got a good deal, you got a great deal. Several of the risk value / expense items have already been taken care of. That vehicle is old enough that there are a plentiful population of used parts available. Chances are you can find a windshield in the yard, and same with the whole instrument cluster, not just the tach all for a reasonable price.

If the brakes, plugs, and filters have all been sorted, you have something of full depreciated value that you can drive in the category of what I call "cheap to keep".
I like cheap to keep vehicles! My kind of transportation 😂

Looks like a good deal.
Especially in this day and age, if you can find a good used truck at a decent price, brand doesn't matter.

I bought a 2wd 2006 ram 1500 yesterday. Has the 3.7 engine. The engine was replaced and has 160,000 miles on it. The truck has 305,000. One owner, most of the maintenance records and runs great. Even has new Michelin tires!
Needs an ac compressor windshield has a crack and the tachometer doesn't work correctly. Interior is a 9/10 no rips or stains. I feel pretty good about this deal especially in this market!
I generally find higher mileage vehicles [when well maintained just like this one] run better then low mileage ones. One owner is a big plus! Nice find.

Nice 👍 how's the 3.7? I really don't know anything about that motor
I've seen many high mileage jeeps with it. In the truck it does ok it's not a powerhouse by any means. My guess is most people that drive big v8 trucks could do what they needed to do with a 3.7 ram but they won't because they need a big v8. I bought it as a vehicle to haul the family around in and go camping and taking there go kart out for a ride at parks. It's good for all of that. Most I'll ever pull is a couple thousand lbs so it'll work well for me.

Back