Bought a new Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Those were decent engines.

I am talking about the 2014 and up newer engines.

And some of the older 2009 and up ecotec engines.

So the 5.0L Ford, which is basically a big bore, longer stroke Modular, is somehow going to be less reliable than the Modular has been for the last decade and a half? I mean the million mile van was sporting a Modular, so it was obviously junk. Same with the taxi's and limo's I see with 700,000 or 1.2 million Km's on them for sale too right?
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Honda and Toyota didn't use timing chains on overhead cam engines 30 years ago. Heck, Honda still uses belts on their V6...

But GM doesn't use overhead cam engines on these trucks. It's a short little timing chain. No issues to be had there ...

As much of a Toyota fanboy I am, I do not know all the engines. But I recall the "legendary" 22RE having a chain. Which was known for issues with the guides IIRC.

need one of them dont feed the troll signs for millerbl00

EVERY truck thread same nonsense. Please go pee in your own Wheaties.

OP: Enjoy your new truck. It certainly doesnt need a V8 towing anything more would require a 2500 or bigger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Our 14 Ram with the 5.7 has a nice tow setup that is rated for over 10k.

3.9 rear gears and the ZF 8 speed make it easy....

I imagine 300hp would work as well for 10k, just running a gear or two lower and a bit slower at times.
One of my great uncles used to drive trucks in the 50-60's and he remembers lots of them had much less than 200hp(especially with higher miles on them) and dragged 30-40-50k of truck and load around just fine, although slowly at times.

I want to agree with you but it is going to be doing 40mph up hills. In the link I posted it sounded like those V6's were pretty well wound out at 6k, both in weight and rpm.

No, that's wrong. Note that a new V6 Ram or Silverado has MORE power than a V10 or diesel F-350 from 15 years ago. The Pentastar V6 makes MORE power than Dodge's gigantic V10. It will have to downshift, but the V6 will run just as fast up the hills! (Actually, it will probably run FASTER.)

Ok timing chain then. The timing chain is part of the engine design. Still in the end the new GM engines don't last. Good luck getting a newer tech GM product to make it to 100000 miles much less 200000.

It takes GM and Ford and least 10 years to get any new products right. Honda and Toyota and Nissan had timing chains perfected 30 years ago. GM and Ford still can't get it. And they want 50000 for there product??!?

I drove a Ford that went over 600,000 miles on its original timing chains.

Are you a sock for lovcom?

Originally Posted By: Rand

OP: Enjoy your new truck. It certainly doesnt need a V8 towing anything more would require a 2500 or bigger.

Thank you. I am enjoying my truck immensely, and ignoring the troll. It towed a loaded motorcycle trailer just fine today. It is a great truck and I'm sure I will enjoy it for a long time.

I imagine 300hp would work as well for 10k, just running a gear or two lower and a bit slower at times.
One of my great uncles used to drive trucks in the 50-60's and he remembers lots of them had much less than 200hp(especially with higher miles on them) and dragged 30-40-50k of truck and load around just fine, although slowly at times.

Absolutely, HP isn't really an indicator of towing capacity. Their is a massive difference underneath between car trucks, ie 1/2 tons, light duty trucks, 3/4 and 1 tons, and real trucks.

Manufactures and marketing departments like to advertise big figures to get sales, as they always have can't blame them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Nice truck, don't get the anti V6 crowed I think they are still living in the 90's. Can't see why you need more than 300hp in a 1/2 ton anyway.

Towing a 9,000 lb trailer.

I'd bet 80% of half ton truck owners never come close to doing this. The old V6 at 200HP would fill the needs of most truck owners.

It is fun to watch his chicken little rants. I can't imagine spending my entire life in fear of vehicle failure.

But GM still doesn't know how to make them last....

Aluminum engines have been around quite a while now ...

I guess you are not familiar with the LS series of engines at all...If you are going to spout off at least know what you are talking about...We get it your Cobalt sucked. One car does not determine what the rest of a manufactures engines will do.

Sorry for feeding the troll. I woke up in a [censored] mode, which is rare for me.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: supton

I want to agree with you but it is going to be doing 40mph up hills. In the link I posted it sounded like those V6's were pretty well wound out at 6k, both in weight and rpm.

No, that's wrong. Note that a new V6 Ram or Silverado has MORE power than a V10 or diesel F-350 from 15 years ago. The Pentastar V6 makes MORE power than Dodge's gigantic V10. It will have to downshift, but the V6 will run just as fast up the hills! (Actually, it will probably run FASTER.)

Yeah the new V-6's are something else. You will run out of a payload way before you will run out of power.

REALLY?!?

I'm sitting here thinking about the LS1 in my Camaro with 228k miles, and I'm laughing.

Still not reading my posts! New tech mainly 2014 and up!!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I'm sitting here thinking about the LS1 in my Camaro with 228k miles, and I'm laughing.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

The Gen V engines are derived from the preceding Gen III's (LS1) and Gen IV's (LS3). How could have GM gone backwards?

FYI I think there are a lot of people who don't read your posts.

Right! You really trust GM that much?

Since I work at GM Powertrain, the answer to that question is an emphatic YES.

Last edited:
sigh....I just wanted to share my truck with everyone, not listen to someone rant incessantly about something they know nothing about.

I took the truck on a 300 mile trip on the highway, cruise set at 70 mph. The truck says it averaged 22 mpg. Not bad, in my opinion. My last truck ('99 f-150, 5.4L, also 4x4) would get 17 or so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back