Bought a new Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Yup 2013 4.3 IRON good for 250k miles. Cost less than $18000
2014 4.3 aluminum ecotec good for less than 50k miles. Cost $39000! especially towing 9000 pounds!

Didn't GM shorter the power train warranty to 60000 miles too?

Good luck!

Are you suggesting this engine will die at 50k miles? Lol, Ok. And the powertrain warranty is still 100k. I'm not worried, regardless.

But GM still doesn't know how to make them last....

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Aluminum engines have been around quite a while now ...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Our 14 Ram with the 5.7 has a nice tow setup that is rated for over 10k.

3.9 rear gears and the ZF 8 speed make it easy....

I imagine 300hp would work as well for 10k, just running a gear or two lower and a bit slower at times.
One of my great uncles used to drive trucks in the 50-60's and he remembers lots of them had much less than 200hp(especially with higher miles on them) and dragged 30-40-50k of truck and load around just fine, although slowly at times.

I want to agree with you but it is going to be doing 40mph up hills. In the link I posted it sounded like those V6's were pretty well wound out at 6k, both in weight and rpm.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: CT8
Nice truck, don't get the anti V6 crowed I think they are still living in the 90's. Can't see why you need more than 300hp in a 1/2 ton anyway.

Towing a 9,000 lb trailer.

That's 3/4 ton territory.

Don't believe the marketing, their is a big difference in dragging something around verses comfortable towing it.

There are 1/2 ton trucks today that have more rated towing capacity than my father's 2001 F350 with the "extra heavy service" rear suspension package and the extra towing packages (oil cooler, 4.10 gears, etc) ...

For some reason I have a tough time buying that half tons are "good" at 10k. A trip or two, perhaps. The trucks today certainly have the hp, and better drivetrains. But still. 10k?

Would be interesting to have a bake-off, yesterdays 3/4 vs todays 1/2.

Originally Posted By: supton
I agree, 9k is 3/4 ton territory. Maybe 1ton. The rides are reputedly so civilized these days I don't see why one would use a half ton out of its element (light usage).

http://www.edmunds.com/ram/1500/2013/comparison-test.html
Found this comparison last night. Nearly 6k towing on the Ram 3.6 and Ford 3.7. Both did ok, although arguably at their limit and perhaps not with a typical passenger payload.

I hope everyone read that test. The Ram aced it pretty well, and was a much more refined vehicle in many different ways than the Ford. Didn't hunt for gears and never overheated the trans either.

Towing is about much more than just total weight. I have a 5th wheel setup in my Dmax with a 33 foot RV and that thing practically drives itself, and it's only a 2500 single rear wheel truck.
I do not tow with my Ram, it's primarily my wife's vehicle for her home health practice.

With a short tongue and a lot of weight a load is far harder to enjoy...

the ram 1500 is OKAY to tow with but not in the league of the 2500. as with all ram 1500s it gets saggy butt with any kind of towing, there are of course helper bump stops and after market airbags, not to mention standard air bags but i dont see the point. get a 2500.

Last edited:
Anything can tow for a short distance. But how long will it hold up for 50000 miles? 100000 miles? 200000 miles?

If you keep all your fluids in a good temperature range and the rpms under something reasonable most of the time(2/3 of red line?), I don't think you are going to kill any modern drivetrain quickly. My Dads 240hp 5.4 F150 has maybe 25k miles pulling a 5k 28' trailer and it spends a lot of time in 3rd and sometimes 2nd on the interstate. With the full antisway and WD hitch, it stops, turns and rides great, but doesn't fly up hills. But so what, they are retired and 45mph for a few minutes isn't a concern...

I am talking about the new trucks with all the Aluminum parts, ecotec, turbos etc...

EVERY. TRUCK. THREAD.

Would you give it a friggin rest already? WE GOT IT.

But GM still doesn't know how to make them last....

Aluminum engines have been around quite a while now ...

I'm not sure what you mean? There's no problem with aluminum engines. The biggest issue is camchains. GM cannot seem to make an overhead cam engine that doesn't eat it's timing chain tensioner and jump time. But that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the material of which the block is made.

Of course, when they try a timing belt, we end up with stuff like the Aveo tossing it's belts every week.

I don't see myself buying one of these modern high tech trucks. Not because of all the technologies ... but because they are just so darn expensive.

I would have no problem , if I had the money, buying a WT v6 4x4 and running it up to 200K. With my hobbies, I wouldn't be that easy on the truck either.

Ok timing chain then. The timing chain is part of the engine design. Still in the end the new GM engines don't last. Good luck getting a newer tech GM product to make it to 100000 miles much less 200000.

It takes GM and Ford and least 10 years to get any new products right. Honda and Toyota and Nissan had timing chains perfected 30 years ago. GM and Ford still can't get it. And they want 50000 for there product??!?

Last edited:
Honda and Toyota didn't use timing chains on overhead cam engines 30 years ago. Heck, Honda still uses belts on their V6...

But GM doesn't use overhead cam engines on these trucks. It's a short little timing chain. No issues to be had there ...

Well it's a Ford, so I'm gonna start shopping.

I mean ... there has never been a 3.0 or 3.5L duratec engine, or a 2.0L duratec engine to ever crack 100K miles ...

Those were decent engines.

I am talking about the 2014 and up newer engines.

And some of the older 2009 and up ecotec engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: CT8
Towing a 9,000 lb trailer.

That's 3/4 ton territory.

Don't believe the marketing, their is a big difference in dragging something around verses comfortable towing it.

There are 1/2 ton trucks today that have more rated towing capacity than my father's 2001 F350 with the "extra heavy service" rear suspension package and the extra towing packages (oil cooler, 4.10 gears, etc) ...

For some reason I have a tough time buying that half tons are "good" at 10k. A trip or two, perhaps. The trucks today certainly have the hp, and better drivetrains. But still. 10k?

Would be interesting to have a bake-off, yesterdays 3/4 vs todays 1/2.

I towed a uhaul car carrier loaded up with a Kubota excavator on the back that was brushing up (maybe slightly over) the rated GVWR/tow rating.

That was the scariest eight mile ride of my life. Never again.

Ok timing chain then. The timing chain is part of the engine design. Still in the end the new GM engines don't last. Good luck getting a newer tech GM product to make it to 100000 miles much less 200000.

It takes GM and Ford and least 10 years to get any new products right. Honda and Toyota and Nissan had timing chains perfected 30 years ago. GM and Ford still can't get it. And they want 50000 for there product??!?

10 years? Did you do glue this morning? The Modular has had a reliable timing chain setup since inception. There were a couple of years like a decade AFTER it came out that they had issues with the nylon guides but was fine before and since.

Ford was making OHC engines before Honda, Toyota or Nissan were making cars. Toyota's first engine was a GM copy.

I'm not sure what planet you live on but V8's are something the domestics have historically always gotten right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back