2015 Silverado - Six years later

I bought my 2015 Silverado new and posted it in this forum when I bought it. It's a double cab 4x4 with the 4.3 V6. I currently have 83k miles on it.
Reliability has been solid, no mechanical issues at all. Wait, that's not true; it did have a stuck caliper in the drivers side rear at 70k miles, but that was fixed pretty easily.
I did some mods to the truck in the first two years of ownership; 2 inch lift, custom engine and transmission tune by Klug Performance, Air Raid CAI, Anzo projectors with LED bulbs, also tinted the windows and sprayed in a bedliner. Currently has 33 inch BF Goodrich KO2's. Always changed my own oil and used the cheapest oil I could find that was Dexos rated and used AC Delco or Wix filters. It's paid off and my daily driver. I keep getting asked to sell it, and used vehicle prices are insane right now but I just can't bring myself to trade her in even though having a V8 would probably be nice. It runs like a champ and has never let me down.

Attachments

• PXL_20210627_233814508.jpg
    PXL_20210627_233814508.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 118
This is a great time to sell but a horrible time to buy. If you need something to replace it you will pay more for the replacement than the increase you realize from the sale. This is the time to sell a vehicle that otherwise might be unsaleable or for those that want to get a good price on an unwanted vehicle but dont want to sit on it for months trying.

Good looking truck! How is it holding up rust wise? I have a neighbor who has a 14 base truck, and his only complaint was that it has a few spots starting to rust…..

2018 Silverado LTZ-5.3-4WD update at 40,000 miles-

Drive train very unrefined-clunking when coming to a stop sometimes, 6 speed, while known for reliability is also known for being a slush box-very undetermined shifts. The paint-for a $50,000.00 vehicle is beyond awful. Had plans to replace at 50,000 miles, just as the powertrain warranty is up, however, with the new/used car market being what it is-it looks like it could be 12 to 18 months out.

PROS-pull my 5,000 pound 26 foot trailer without any over heating issues what-so-ever regardless of ambient temperatures in the 90's.

Had plans on either a RAM, F-150 or a Tundra. The PICS of the new Tundra look horrible. NOW-leaning towards the F150 w/the V8 which is not stocked normally on dealer lots here. SO-will join the "Mustang Club/forum" for $50.00 and get some "A" plan numbers.

Last edited:
Drive train very unrefined-clunking when coming to a stop sometimes, 6 speed, while known for reliability is also known for being a slush box-very undetermined shifts.
That transmission is definitely not known for reliability. It might be the worst automatic GM ever put in a truck. Some wholesale powertrain dealers have 50+ on hand when they are available.

I bought my 2015 Silverado new and posted it in this forum when I bought it. It's a double cab 4x4 with the 4.3 V6. I currently have 83k miles on it.
Reliability has been solid, no mechanical issues at all. Wait, that's not true; it did have a stuck caliper in the drivers side rear at 70k miles, but that was fixed pretty easily.
I did some mods to the truck in the first two years of ownership; 2 inch lift, custom engine and transmission tune by Klug Performance, Air Raid CAI, Anzo projectors with LED bulbs, also tinted the windows and sprayed in a bedliner. Currently has 33 inch BF Goodrich KO2's. Always changed my own oil and used the cheapest oil I could find that was Dexos rated and used AC Delco or Wix filters. It's paid off and my daily driver. I keep getting asked to sell it, and used vehicle prices are insane right now but I just can't bring myself to trade her in even though having a V8 would probably be nice. It runs like a champ and has never let me down.
Question about the Anzo projectors. on a flat road, due they light the foreground more than the distance, or does the light shine evenly from near to far? I’m considering anzos eventually in the ‘18 f150 since my projector retrofit was a disaster and will likely eventually be replaced.

Drive train very unrefined-clunking when coming to a stop sometimes, 6 speed, while known for reliability is also known for being a slush box-very undetermined shifts. The paint-for a $50,000.00 vehicle is beyond awful. Had plans to replace at 50,000 miles, just as the powertrain warranty is up, however, with the new/used car market being what it is-it looks like it could be 12 to 18 months out.

PROS-pull my 5,000 pound 26 foot trailer without any over heating issues what-so-ever regardless of ambient temperatures in the 90's.

Had plans on either a RAM, F-150 or a Tundra. The PICS of the new Tundra look horrible. NOW-leaning towards the F150 w/the V8 which is not stocked normally on dealer lots here. SO-will join the "Mustang Club/forum" for $50.00 and get some "A" plan numbers.
Clunking coming to a stop…

My Genesis had a bad clunk when coming to a stop, I SWORE it was some kind of internal transmission problem. First time I took it to the dealer they reprogrammed it or something, didn’t really help. Second time I took it, they noticed the transmission mount was bad. I was skeptical, but they replaced it and… it shifts beautifully. Can’t fee a thing that’s happening and it’s an 8 speed.

That transmission is definitely not known for reliability. It might be the worst automatic GM ever put in a truck. Some wholesale powertrain dealers have 50+ on hand when they are available.
Widespread transmissions breaking are not wide spread on the brand specific forums. Just the things I mentioned. The sheer number of selling over 40,000 units a month would account for some failures.

The 6L80 is pretty durable. The 8L45 and 8L90 have had some problems since their inception. They are known for torque converter shudder and GM hasn’t been able to fully rectify the issue.

Widespread transmissions breaking are not wide spread on the brand specific forums. Just the things I mentioned. The sheer number of selling over 40,000 units a month would account for some failures.
Enthusiast forums are a fairly small sample of owners.

Yes, the production volume accounts for some of it, but I wouldn't say it's rare to have to replace a 6L90.

It's not a reason to not buy a truck with it, but I'd be on top of fluid maintenance. Overall, they are very good trucks.

The 6L80 is pretty durable. The 8L45 and 8L90 have had some problems since their inception. They are known for torque converter shudder and GM hasn’t been able to fully rectify the issue.
I have the 6L80 in my Tahoe. I do not wet nurse it. Have 116K miles and no issues to report. Change fluid [at the dealer only] around every 40K miles. My buddy also has the 6L80 and has no issues at 200K miles.

Question about the Anzo projectors. on a flat road, due they light the foreground more than the distance, or does the light shine evenly from near to far? I’m considering anzos eventually in the ‘18 f150 since my projector retrofit was a disaster and will likely eventually be replaced.
I have used them since 2016, they seem to have a good spread. I use quality LED bulbs though.

yeah that clunking...
I changed the fluid in the rear differential and it pretty much went away, YMMV.
Also, I had a tuner change my shift points, not sure if that made a difference. It definitely made the driving experience much better.

Good looking truck! How is it holding up rust wise? I have a neighbor who has a 14 base truck, and his only complaint was that it has a few spots starting to rust…..
No rust on the body, a little rust is starting to show up on the frame, but I do live in Michigan and they throw salt everywhere. I try to wash it as much as I can in the winter but sometimes you can't help but leave salt on it for a while.

Back