2012 Ram 1500 One Year Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pros: Trouble-free, power, interior space, smooth ride
Cons: Alpine sound should be better, ease of parking, mediocre MPG (to be expected)

We purchased our new 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Outdoorsman 1 year and 11,000 miles ago. The color is Sagebrush Pearl Metallic. We wanted this color, and the 2012s were getting slim on the lots. We found this one ~200 miles South of us – in Claremore, OK. It was a small town dealer – on Route 66, and I was very pleased them. We traded a 2010 Lincoln MKZ AWD. It was a great car, but I often have the need for a truck. We did all the paperwork online, and were out of the dealer in less than an hour after we arrived.

In the first year of ownership, it has been back to a dealer 0 times. We haven’t had any issues what-so-ever. The power and acceleration from the Hemi with 3.92 LSD is great. Key features include skid plates, backup camera, Navigation/DVD/40GB media center, Uconnect, remote start, electric driver’s seat, tow package, etc. It came with 17” GY Silent Armor ProGrade LT tires, which are excellent. It also came with the Mossy Oak package. I would have rather had RamBoxes, but this color was hard to find, and it had the Mossy Oak package. The Mossy Oak package may not be for everyone, but we like it. It makes it quite rare, as I have not seen another one in live form. I have seen a couple others on the forums. It has some Mossy Oak accents inside and out. The ride is great for a truck. It’s very smooth on the highway. The interior is huge, and much larger than anything we have had. This makes it nice for extended trips –as our kids like to bring a lot of “stuff”.

A review wouldn’t be complete without a few negatives. It’s rated 13 city/19 Highway. I average 14 (summer) in my daily commute – which is mostly city. Last winter, it was tough to get out of the 12s – when it was brand new. I’m quite sure we have our winter blend here in KC, and it’s currently making 13.5. We averaged 18.5 on a 350 mi. trip this summer – which was mostly 2-lane roads at low speeds. I guess that’s not terrible – considering my old 4.0 Explorers with 230 less HP, and much less weight made roughly the same (but that was 13 years ago). I know it would be better with LRR tires – as opposed to the heavy LT A/T tires. The Chrysler Alpine sound system pales in comparison to the Lincoln THXII system. It’s poor in sound quality when comparing the two. Compared to 4-speaker Ford system, it’s good. Either way, it should be a lot better. Alpine should be ashamed to put their name on it. It’s also a major pain to upgrade. Size can also be a hindrance, but that’s the case with any full-size truck. It barely fits in my garage – with only room to walk on 1 side, and front. It’s also a bear to park. You can’t see the lines at all – when pulling into a spot. It’s honestly easier to back in – using the rear camera. I usually park in the back 40.

It’s currently running 7 quarts of M1 5w20 with Napa Gold filter. I plan to run mostly PP or M1 for 6 month intervals. I could probably get by with dino or synblend, but the extra $10-15 won’t kill me every 6 months. Some report louder Hemi tick with M1. I haven’t noticed that.

I’ve added a Truxedo tonneau cover, front tint, Mopar Bedrug, GoRhino oval step bars, S&B intake, Magnaflow muffler, DeeZee tailgate assist, audio upgrades to name a few. A BT catch-can and billet shift knob is on the way.

That’s about it. I don’t want to write a book.

Some pics:

ram_new1_zpsa6901a89.jpg

ram_new3_zps9c6b6342.jpg

ram_new5_zps518c0e11.jpg

Nice truck! Magnaflow mufflers have a sweet sound on the Hemi. My dad has almost 16,000 on his 2013 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi so far with no issues.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Nice truck! Magnaflow mufflers have a sweet sound on the Hemi. My dad has almost 16,000 on his 2013 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi so far with no issues.

Except for when the MDS kicks in.......

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Really nice ride! Chrysler products are probably the most UNDERRATED vehicles on the planet.

+1, been considering Chrysler's for a while. No more Ford's

Great looking truck.
I would love a new RAM.... In my wildest dreams. I pay enough for gas for my Civic in Canada, let alone that kind of MPG.

I am jealous though.. Glad you are happy with it!

Originally Posted By: Johnny248

What are you talking about. My charger's exhaust note gets deeper when mds engages.

OP
Great truck. The hemi is extremely long lasting. My non-mds 04 got 20mpg on the highway and my dads 2014 mds equipped hemi gets 26mpg+,so I expect once completely broken in you'll get better mileage.
My last hemi had 280k on the odo when I totalled it. At that mileage it didn't consume any oil and ran as good as new.
I look forward to the 10 year evaluation. I expect it will be as good as this one.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

What are you talking about. My charger's exhaust note gets deeper when mds engages.

I've heard it on trucks around here with aftermarket exhaust. When the MDS has the engine on 4-cylinder mode, the exhaust suddenly grows "naselly" or "chuggy". It's not all that flattering, but it's also not all that apparent unless the mufflers are either minimal or non-existant.

OP, nice truck. I'm digging green vehicles lately. Our CR-V has a similar (though not identical) metallic green. Like on your truck, the color really seems to change with sunlight and depending on how the metallic flakes are "popping" in the light. Nice choice in color.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I've heard it on trucks around here with aftermarket exhaust. When the MDS has the engine on 4-cylinder mode, the exhaust suddenly grows "naselly" or "chuggy". It's not all that flattering, but it's also not all that apparent unless the mufflers are either minimal or non-existant.

My exhaust is stock. It sounds nothing like you described however I can certainly believe a free'er flowing exhaust would affect the sound when mds engages.

For all the bad talk people give to Chrysler products....deep down inside,everybody wishes they could own one.How else could a carmaker come back so many times? People still have faith,and a desire and are willing to help the company keep on keeping on...

My exhaust is stock. It sounds nothing like you described however I can certainly believe a free'er flowing exhaust would affect the sound when mds engages.

I could hear it in my dad's 2005 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. It wasn't very loud at all. It's possible the truck exhausts are tuned differently from the car exhausts. But yes, anything you change in an exhaust system can "unmask" those things that were masked by the stock system.

Here's one with an open exhaust. Hear that tractor-like sound? That's what they sound like opened up. Obviously, most or all of that is masked with a stock system, but any level of "uncorking" between stock and all the way open will produce a result that is somewhere in the middle.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I could hear it in my dad's 2005 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. It wasn't very loud at all. It's possible the truck exhausts are tuned differently from the car exhausts. But yes, anything you change in an exhaust system can "unmask" those things that were masked by the stock system.

Here's one with an open exhaust. Hear that tractor-like sound? That's what they sound like opened up. Obviously, most or all of that is masked with a stock system, but any level of "uncorking" between stock and all the way open will produce a result that is somewhere in the middle.

Wow. That vid the engagement of mds is very evident.
I didn't know the jeeps got mds in 05. I thought it was 06 for the cars and jeeps and 05 for the trucks.
My friend has a dodge magnum with a hemi and from what he told me when he bought it new mds wasn't an option.
He wanted mds but the dealer said it doesn't exist.
I'm sure it's possible he was misled though.
I remember reading that on some models dodge had very special exhausts fitted so when mds engaged the exhaust gasses actually took a different path through different mufflers so that the sounds were the same when mds was engaged and when running on all 8 cylinders.
I read it in a forum though. Do you know if there is any actual truth to that?
In 4 cylinder mode I bet it sounds horrible with a less restrictive and muffled system. The lack of back pressure likely contributes to no responsiveness and likely pops a lot.

I'm going to listen more closely to your vid for popping.
In that vid the exhaust is more open right?

Thanks for posting.

Thanks all. My Magnaflow is fairly big at 22". I didn't want to get too aggressive, because I haul the kids to school every day. I can barely tell when MDS kicks in -- which isn't much in my daily commute. I may also remove the resonator to get a little more out of the muffler. It's the same muffler Magnaflow uses in their single catback system, and it doesn't have a resonator.

My wife and I do prefer the non-traditional colors. She's the worst -- as color is her #1 preference. Ram only had this color for 1 year, and I don't see very many. For 2013, Black Gold was a unique color.

Now that you describe it as "tractor like" that's actually a pretty good description.
Mine definitely is obvious when it engages. It gets a very deep tone and rumbles far more. Vibrates the whole car and exhaust too.
Since I went from a 20 grade to a 40 grade I've noticed it sounds deeper than before the switch. And for whatever reason I can pedal it so it stays engaged whereas before I was unable to control its engagement.
Now I've learned how to pedal it I can keep it engaged longer. I'm able to break 30mpg pretty often since adding mos2 again.
I wish it had a switch or something so a person could keep it in 4 cylinder mode even while adding more throttle.
I bet if a guy could engage it when they wanted to,and shut if off when more power is required I could really demolish the EPA mpg estimates.
For example only have 8 cylinder running when accelerating from a stop. Once moving and only needing minimal pedal force 4 cylinder mode to lessen fuel consumed.
A button on the steering wheel would be ideal.

I didn't know the jeeps got mds in 05. I thought it was 06 for the cars and jeeps and 05 for the trucks.

This Wikipedia article shows it to be 2005 for the cars and Jeep WK and 2006 for the Ram/Durango/Commander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Displacement_System

I know the transition was nearly indiscernible when transitioning from 8- to 4- mode. Once in 4-mode, you could get it to lug/chug, and then you could usually feel the transition when it would "wake up" into 8-mode again. Not unlike a hybrid drivetrain when the ICE re-lights to provide more power...just a little less so.

And you could hear the exhaust, but you could also hear the engine lugging. It certainly wasn't as loud as in that video, at least not from in the cabin, but I have heard Rams with MDS Hemis drive by, with much louder exhausts, and you can certainly hear the chugging in their exhaust.

Not to be unexpected, really, for an engine that's not operating on all of its cylinders. I'd expect the same from a GM when running on 4 of 8 cylinders, or a Honda when on 3 or 4 of 6 cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back