Bought a 2013 RAV4 Limited AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have posted here previously about some work that needs done on my Audi A6. You can look at it here.

Well, after much contemplation I decided that I wanted something newer and more versatile. I have a couple rental properties and an CUV would come in handy hauling things like microwaves, powerwashers, ladders... you name it. I decided I didn't want or need a truck, there is nothing I do that necessitates that much capability.

I shopped around quite a bit. I looked seriously at the Mazda CX5, but it was a little short on cargo space and I'm not yet sold on DI engines. I also looked at CRVs, but they just didn't appeal to me. Pre-2015 they didn't have as many features as the competition, and the 2015s have a CVT and DI. Late model Jeep Cherokees and Ford Escapes were eliminated due to reliability concerns, VW Tiguans were expensive and not that well appointed, Subarus are all CVT, so on and so forth.

That left me with the Toyota RAV4. It has the space I want, good mileage, port injection, a standard automatic and just felt well made. It also has AWD lock below 25 mph which I really liked. I started shopping for new 2014s and found a couple great deals, but I didn't want to commit... call me gun shy.

Then I found a used 2013 at Valley BMW in Roanoke. It had been on the lot 2 months and they were ready to make a deal. I negotiated it down to NADA trade-in value, $24k. It is in great shape, just a couple scuffs on top of the back bumper but flawless otherwise. Pyrite Mica exterior, black SofTex interior. It is completely loaded with all the usual Limited kit as well as the JBL audio package, blind spot monitors and roof rack cross bars. It has a complete service history from the Toyota dealership in Staunton with no warranty claims. BONUS: While the paperwork was being written up, an elderly gentleman rolled up in a Mercedes SLS GT AMG to look at a BMW for his wife. Turns out it was Mr. Taubman, heir to the Advance Auto Parts fortune. It was like seeing a rock-star!

Anyways, I love the vehicle so far. I'm looking forward to writing a full review for you guys once I have a little more time driving it. I got an unbelievable 30 mpg coming back to Lynchburg from Roanoke. I'll post pictures tomorrow when I have some light.

The Audi has been a good car... I'm planning on selling it to a co-worker.

If you care to share, what happened to the Audi? My neighbors is running strong at 156k and no problems even with his jiffy lube oil changes. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
If you care to share, what happened to the Audi? My neighbors is running strong at 156k and no problems even with his jiffy lube oil changes. Thanks!

The Audi runs well enough. It needs new tie rods, control arms and struts, the power steering pump is starting to give some negative feedback and fair amount of small stuff was starting to break. I could have dropped another $1200 into it, but I preferred to put that money toward a newer car.

Or maybe I just wanted and excuse to get into a newer car =).

Originally Posted By: SF0059

Heh... that's understandable. Thanks for being honest. Although it is true that at this age, some German cars can start to nickle and dime you to death, especially if you're the type that just can't let some things be and insist on fixing everything, regardless how small. I have given up on some smaller things in my BMW... passenger seat does not recline properly, one of the rear ashtrays is busted, there is a minor oil leak from the rear main seal, etc.

I'm seeing a lot of the new Rav4's around here...I really like the look of them. I've been a little surprised at how poorly they've been rated in recent comparisons to the CRV, CX5 and Forester. Particularly since the previous model got rave review up to the end. Lots of comments about poor suspension calibration, rough ride, etc. Personally, I like the Toyota drivetrain in this model which includes a proper 6 speed automatic (I own a CVT and although it's OK would prefer a regular automatic next time). I've yet to drive one (or the current CRV, Forester of Mazda CX5 for that matter) but would definitely consider one when it's time to retire the minivan in a year or so.

Small CUVs like these are great. 30 should be easily achievable for you. I get 28 mpg in our AWD CR-V flying down the interstate at 75 mph. Over 30 is attainable at slower speeds. The RAVs are really nice, and I like the lock button that Toyota includes. Careful, some will say that if it doesn't pass the roller test, you wasted your money. I disagree.

It's a shame that Advance Auto Parts has decided to relocate their headquarters to North Carolina; they have such a history in southwest Virginia. My wife is from Pulaski, and they have an O Scale model train set in a museum downtown with an old "Advance Stores" building clearly visible. That building today houses other retail, but it's a great piece of history.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: SF0059

Heh... that's understandable. Thanks for being honest. Although it is true that at this age, some German cars can start to nickle and dime you to death, especially if you're the type that just can't let some things be and insist on fixing everything, regardless how small. I have given up on some smaller things in my BMW... passenger seat does not recline properly, one of the rear ashtrays is busted, there is a minor oil leak from the rear main seal, etc.

I can totally agree with this post. I also agree with the OP getting out of the Audi. Sure they are great when newer(er) but as I originally posted, the costs associated with keeping it in good shape is tough and expensive. And it's not like your going to get reimbursed when it comes time to sell/trade it

Have a '14 Rav 4 LE (base) model FWD.

Zero problems with this vehicle, it is reasonably well made.

Gas mileage has been 24mpg in mixed driving, not bad considering the size of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Aren't the 13+ Rav 4s direct injection?

No. Even the current 2015 models use port injection; the 2.5L 2AR-FE is the only available engine (and it's an excellent one, by the way).

Please pass on my advice from your other thread about the suspension issues to the Audi's new owner. I'd feel bad if the new owner had to experience the same learning curve ($$$) that I did.

Enjoy the new Toy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back