2017 Toyota Sienna AWD

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted by The Critic
I have not seen issues with the 8-speeds aside from shift quality complaints. Installing the most updated software will make the driveability better.

Vacuum pump on a spark ignition engine, what gives?

Curious why the 60k spark plug interval considering nearly all others are iridium/platinum lasting 100k or more..

I do all repairs (within reason) and maintenance myself so not a deal breaker by any means.

Not sure. The DI 2.5 only requires plugs every 120K.

Here is the maintenance schedule if you are Interested:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-17Sienna/pdf/T-MMS-17Sienna.pdf

Originally Posted by edyvw
What are other features you lose?

The ones that I remember off the top of my head was the premium reclining/lounge second row seats are omitted and somehow the way the 3rd row seats fold down is either eliminated or compromised. I don't know if it applies to 2015 but it was specifically mentioned as a trade off for an AWD 2017 model on a Sienna forum.

I have captain chairs which makes access to rear bench much easier. Also, I am not sure 8 seat version has second row bench. It is that funky middle seat that in reality does not make any practical sense. I have two children seats in second row captain chairs. Not having middle seat makes it much easier for my wife's parents to access rear bench when they visit.
Third row folding is same as FWD, at least on 2015 models. There is no difference in AWD system between 2015 and 2017. The difference in AWD system is 2015 and before. Prior to 2015 AWD system operated differently, and it is software change. So I am not sure why would third row bench be any different.

Last edited:
I have captain chairs which makes access to rear bench much easier. Also, I am not sure 8 seat version has second row bench. It is that funky middle seat that in reality does not make any practical sense. I have two children seats in second row captain chairs. Not having middle seat makes it much easier for my wife's parents to access rear bench when they visit.
Third row folding is same as FWD, at least on 2015 models. There is no difference in AWD system between 2015 and 2017. The difference in AWD system is 2015 and before. Prior to 2015 AWD system operated differently, and it is software change. So I am not sure why would third row bench be any different.

If you google "2017 sienna lounge seating" the first thread on the Sienna forum that pops up deals with the AWD features that are omitted. The 2nd row premium lounge chairs with footrest and power fold/recline 3rd row seating were excluded from the AWD model, presumably due to weight. Neither feature is a must have for us, but I'd rather not trade one feature that I really dislike and will continue to cost me money in fuel (AWD) for removing two features that could potentially be nice to have. That said, if we found a really stellar deal and it happened to have AWD, I could certainly live with it.

If you google "2017 sienna lounge seating" the first thread on the Sienna forum that pops up deals with the AWD features that are omitted. The 2nd row premium lounge chairs with footrest and power fold/recline 3rd row seating were excluded from the AWD model, presumably due to weight. Neither feature is a must have for us, but I'd rather not trade one feature that I really dislike and will continue to cost me money in fuel (AWD) for removing two features that could potentially be nice to have. That said, if we found a really stellar deal and it happened to have AWD, I could certainly live with it.

I know about that foot rest, did not know it does not come with AWD. Also, did not know third row has power recline option. I drove several FWD versions, and my AWD has same features as they did. Still, I think practicality wise, AWD is more beneficial. How much you will lose in mpg? IDK. Sienna is not champion of fuel efficiency, and in HWY 100% of torque is transferred to the front. Only during acceleration 10% always go back, and if front wheels slip I think up to 40% goes back. For its size, Sienna actually is not as heavy as it might seem. Some 4,700lbs in AWD configuration.

Back