Bosch $2 filter from rockauto cut open

I got 2 of the "defective" bosch filters from rockauto, and this is the first one i used. It was in service for 3500 miles with qsfs 10w30. No metal as far as I can tell, and no oil starvation noises. I put the other filter on but I'm not buying these again, because even though I don't think it'll hurt anything, I don't like how small the holes are.

Forgot to take pictures of the louvers

It seems to have caught a significant amount of carbon in the filter even though it's clean under the valve covers. No sparkles, otherwise I would have tossed the second filter. Will these chunkies hurt anything? They're just mushy carbon as far as I can tell.

What do y'all think? Current fill is ceratec + 5w40 euro Quaker State. I'll probably change it again in like 2 years or 3000 miles.

These filters didn't have metal shavings in them when I opened them, like the bosch filters in that other recent thread

IMG_20240126_175019820.jpg
IMG_20240126_175029827.jpg
IMG_20240126_172022406_HDR.jpg

So these were sold as defective, what did they offer as the reason?
The louvers inside aren't punched open on some. So instead of a bunch of slots there's just bumps if you look inside the filter. Mine both have small slots but some aren't slotted.

I hope my bad description makes sense

Seems crazy that RA would sell a known defective filter! At least they caught something…
I bought them over a year ago, but they are still for sale on rockauto.
Actually you can buy these most anywhere and Bosch still makes them afaik, the "defective" label just comes from other car guys who see the poor quality and don't like it.

I don't see a problem with the holes. This is a smaller filter & there's not a reason to have any bigger ones. Anyways, that does look like some debris caught on the filter so it did great there. Or were you referring to the louvers holes being small? What filter do you plan on using now?

I got 2 of the "defective" bosch filters from rockauto, and this is the first one i used. It was in service for 3500 miles with qsfs 10w30. No metal as far as I can tell, and no oil starvation noises. I put the other filter on but I'm not buying these again, because even though I don't think it'll hurt anything, I don't like how small the holes are.

Forgot to take pictures of the louvers

It seems to have caught a significant amount of carbon in the filter even though it's clean under the valve covers. No sparkles, otherwise I would have tossed the second filter. Will these chunkies hurt anything? They're just mushy carbon as far as I can tell.

What do y'all think? Current fill is ceratec + 5w40 euro Quaker State. I'll probably change it again in like 2 years or 3000 miles.

These filters didn't have metal shavings in them when I opened them, like the bosch filters in that other recent thread

View attachment 200617View attachment 200618View attachment 200619
Looks ok, so you threw the other filter on? What vehicle we talking about also?

Thank You sir, nice work.

2001 mitsubishi in signature.

my filters look like the ones in this thread except no metal shavings and it doesn't have the orange anti-drainback valve. mine are workshop grade while his is premium.

if you look in his pictures and in the following posts it mentions the closed louvers. my louvers all have a 1mm gap, which i figured was enough flow to keep the engine happy, and if it wasn't the bypass valve would do it's thing.

again, I stupidly forgot to take pictures of the louvers. maybe I will in a few years when the next filter comes off.

2001 mitsubishi in signature.

my filters look like the ones in this thread except no metal shavings and it doesn't have the orange anti-drainback valve. mine are workshop grade while his is premium.

if you look in his pictures and in the following posts it mentions the closed louvers. my louvers all have a 1mm gap, which i figured was enough flow to keep the engine happy, and if it wasn't the bypass valve would do it's thing.

again, I stupidly forgot to take pictures of the louvers. maybe I will in a few years when the next filter comes off.
No big deal, nice work friend

The louvers inside aren't punched open on some. So instead of a bunch of slots there's just bumps if you look inside the filter. Mine both have small slots but some aren't slotted.

I hope my bad description makes sense
Why no pictures with the tube removed ?

Not all donaldson filters are wired backed synteq media. For some reason they only make high efficiency filters for heavy duty and industrial applications. Should always check their website on which media they use on a specific model or application.

I am a @dumkid fan but you butchered that poor filter dude...
In my state they would throw you in jail for this monstrously disection. Wow dude 😳
well i did ask for an oil filter cutter for Christmas, but that was the one thing i didn't get. so i used the tin snips instead.

also to the other people: no tube pics because I'm dumb, I already said what car, 196655 miles.

Back