BMW N20 with Track Usage

I have a N26/20 228i that I've tracked and will be tracking every 45 days or so.

I have in stock Mobil 1 FS 0w40 Euro and some Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w30 (I was going to use this in my 2020 Porsche Cayenne).

Was thinking I was just going to use good old trusty M1 0w40 FS but it is an older spec and not sure how good it will be in a DI Turbo 2.0 that will be seeing frequent frequent full throttle climbs to red line. The car will also be ECU tuned in the near future. The primary concern is how good the oil will be for LSPI when this engine see's extreme use. This is a car making more than 120hp per liter and will be around 150hp per liter soon.

Typically I used to frequently get Castrol Edge 0w40 for my previous euro cars but those were all NA cars. I do run Ceratec in all my cars, love the stuff.

So anyway, any suggestions for LSPI resistant oils that can take frequent redlining? Intervals will be very short, maybe as frequently as 2-3k miles or every 2 track days.

If comparing Castrol 0w40 vs M1 0w40, I'd pick Castrol because it has much less calcium (LSPI contributor). But the N20 motor I believe had timing chain recall done so I'd go with the updated BMW LL-01 (2018) spec oil to prevent any issues with that (supposedly the new spec addresses timing chain issues / oxidation).

I am running Motul Xcess 5w40 Gen 2 LL01 on my B48, but probably should've gotten X-clean. I have too many LL-01/A40/229.5 oils right now in my stash from last few years so I'll start getting the LL04 / X clean oils for my smaller DI turbo B48 when stash used up.

Currently have Castrol 0w30/0w40, Motul Xcess Gen 2, Ravenol 0w40, BMW TPT 5w30.. going to be awhile before I run through this stash. Will report if I have any LSPI issues in any of my DI turbos.

Maybe try Motul XClean Gen 2 5w40, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40, BMW TPT 5w30 LL04/LL01.

Last edited:
I have a N26/20 228i that I've tracked and will be tracking every 45 days or so.

I have in stock Mobil 1 FS 0w40 Euro and some Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w30 (I was going to use this in my 2020 Porsche Cayenne).

Was thinking I was just going to use good old trusty M1 0w40 FS but it is an older spec and not sure how good it will be in a DI Turbo 2.0 that will be seeing frequent frequent full throttle climbs to red line. The car will also be ECU tuned in the near future. The primary concern is how good the oil will be for LSPI when this engine see's extreme use. This is a car making more than 120hp per liter and will be around 150hp per liter soon.

Typically I used to frequently get Castrol Edge 0w40 for my previous euro cars but those were all NA cars. I do run Ceratec in all my cars, love the stuff.

So anyway, any suggestions for LSPI resistant oils that can take frequent redlining? Intervals will be very short, maybe as frequently as 2-3k miles or every 2 track days.
Low-Speed Pre-Ignition aka LSPI. It occurs under high load, low rpm conditions. The N20/26 isn't impacted by LSPI.

Btw...hats off to ya for tracking your 228. I'm jealous.

Last edited:
Why pollute good oil with ceratec? What is lacking in the fully formulated motor oil that ceratec helps?

Do any of the ingredients in Ceratec promote LSPI?

Of couse LSPI is "LOW SPEED" so probably no lspi issues with track day.. although you could have other issues from a tune.

BMW did address timing chain guides in 2015 but it is still iffy.
In 2018 all BMW oil specifications are based on test run on N20 engines (pre 2018 was based on N52).
Stick to approved oils! My choice would be Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 or Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 readily available in wal Mart.
Does yours have heat exchanger (box attached to OFH) or real oil cooler radiator. If heat exchanger, do yourself BIG favor and buy radiator oil cooler from 235 with oil lines (used on ebay), thermostat (new) and install it. It should be direct fit. You will save yourself a lot of nerves on track and it is healthy for engine.
Edit: swap brakes from 235 to your car. Don’t go M sport as it is too much unsprung weight for that engine. Go regular Brembo 4 pots and 340X30mm rotor. Rear get regular single piston from 235. Code your ECU for performance brakes.

Last edited:
Why pollute good oil with ceratec? What is lacking in the fully formulated motor oil that ceratec helps?

Do any of the ingredients in Ceratec promote LSPI?

Of couse LSPI is "LOW SPEED" so probably no lspi issues with track day.. although you could have other issues from a tune.
N20 is really not prone to LSPI. But I completely agree on that ceratc BS. Liqui Moly built its business around these additives. Oil business was for them for a long time afterthought. I am surprised they never entered ED market :).

Ceratec is pretty awesome stuff, works great on all the vehicle I've had including Mercs, Bimmers, Porsches, and etc. It used to be TUV approved which is a pretty arduous difficult rating to get. Not sure if it still is. Definitely read and had direct talks with people where it saved their engine from some expensive repairs during a catastrophic failure.

I have the track package M sport 228i with dual front mounted oil coolers.

Stolen from another thread:

There is no ZDDP in our Engine Oil Protectant. The tricresyl phosphate is present in our proprietary ester technology. The Bio-Tech is designed to enhance the anti-wear and longevity of gasoline or diesel engine oil. It improves the ability of the oil to perform other functions like reducing volatility and preventing LSPI.
Best regards, Pat Burrow Technical Director International Lubricants Inc.

Lubegard 40902 Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant, 32 oz.

I'd throw it in with M1 0W40 and call it a day.

Ceratec is pretty awesome stuff, works great on all the vehicle I've had including Mercs, Bimmers, Porsches, and etc. It used to be TUV approved which is a pretty arduous difficult rating to get. Not sure if it still is. Definitely read and had direct talks with people where it saved their engine from some expensive repairs during a catastrophic failure.

I have the track package M sport 228i with dual front mounted oil coolers.
"Works great" is a pretty broad, and I assume evidence-free, assertion. The OEM's and formulators spent considerable money developing the current slate of approvals and test protocols, which additives never need to go through. So, following on that, how do these individuals "know" it saved their engines? This reeks of speculation.

The faith placed in certain additives often sounds almost religious. The ardent belief that they just have to be doing something beneficial.

It defies both logic and reason to conclude that despite the incredible lengths gone to and extensive testing protocols employed by OEM's and formulators that the products making it through this process are still somehow deficient. That only Ceratec, suckled directly from the bosom of Aphrodite, can overcome these deficiencies, improving the product so remarkably that it can't even be qualified. Truly the stuff of legend.

Lol okay buddy. i'm not the one being religiously fervent here.
Most of us know what TUV is.
But I seriously want to know what ceratect prevented? What failures?
Liqui Moly is popular bcs. marketing. When I worked for oil company we regularly compared our oils to others and LM was becoming popular in Europe at that time. It is mediocre package and at that time there were truly bottom feeders.
Take into consideration that marketing behind is all about Made in Getting. Also take into consideration that no German manufacturer uses any Liqui Moly product.
When people give “testimony “ what they doing is actually making themselves feel better about it. And you also want some confirmation bias so you believe that.
Ain’t gonna get that here.

Most of us know what TUV is.
But I seriously want to know what ceratect prevented? What failures?
Liqui Moly is popular bcs. marketing. When I worked for oil company we regularly compared our oils to others and LM was becoming popular in Europe at that time. It is mediocre package and at that time there were truly bottom feeders.
Take into consideration that marketing behind is all about Made in Getting. Also take into consideration that no German manufacturer uses any Liqui Moly product.
When people give “testimony “ what they doing is actually making themselves feel better about it. And you also want some confirmation bias so you believe that.
Ain’t gonna get that here.
It’s remarkable to me that any yahoo on the internet can easily bad mouth an entire well established company with products that have rigorous approval.

I guess you can just say anything when you’re a keyboard warrior with nothing to lose. Probably have never been to a real track day or owned a high output vehicle. Just a few family VW’s?

It’s remarkable to me that any yahoo on the internet can easily bad mouth an entire well established company with products that have rigorous approval.

I guess you can just say anything when you’re a keyboard warrior with nothing to lose. Probably have never been to a real track day or owned a high output vehicle. Just a few family VW’s?
Did you seriously come back after 1.5 years to defend the honor of Liqui Moly?

High output? Like an N20? 😂

I don't think so, @edyvw is very knowledgeable, especially with German cars and their oil approvals. I personally, would trust his recommendations on this forum in a heartbeat.

Insecurities coming out?

Back