BMW M4 (S55 twin turbo) Oil for summer/track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw

Why you think Redline would be better than M1?

I think it would hold up better to track use during hot summer temperatures.
Why do you think it would not be better for that purpose?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
ringmaster, Ravenol oil looks great on paper. Good for your application at those HTHS numbers, no problem. Can be ordered at https://www.blauparts.com/ravenol_oils/ravenol_oils_fluids_toc.html or Amazon has some varieties too.
The Russian Oil Club has reported some weird behavior they think --- allegedly --- Ravenol is guilty of, as in batch quality control. Also, it appears Ravenol was caught putting in the wrong oil in a jug labelled to be another oil, on this bitog forum recently. So I don't know. Some reason to believe they might get sloppy. Emphasis, just suspicions right now. Can we trust them?

Ravenol is a cheater

After some soul searching I would like an HTHS close to 4.0 since the original LL-01 0W-30 spec is as high as 3.5.......but I also need to stop thinking about oils and just fill the sump with M1 FS 0W-40 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 ......then I stumbled on this Motul and the specs look mighty good.

MOTUL SPORT 5W-40 High Performance Lubricant 100% Synthetic - Ester

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...1777/Sport_5W-40__28GB_29.pdf?1492017750

Somewhere on BITOG the Noack was said to be 4.7%. Wow! True or false?

Go with what is proven to work. That Motul sport ester is a REALLY old formula. It's expensive because it's nearly impossible to find (high margin, low volume).

You're overthinking this (I've been there).

Agree with JFAllen, fresh oil before every track excursion. Even if your car was stock, track days are hard on everything unless you're going for a "bicycle ride" which I assume you are not considering you spent the time researching how to get 500 hp and spent the money to get it!
Yes some oils are used in race cars but only for one race.
I'd rather have doubts about the condition of my oil while sitting at a red light than when the tachometer needle is pegged on a 100F degree day at a race track.
Great car! Enjoy!

Originally Posted by 555
Agree with JFAllen, fresh oil before every track excursion. Even if your car was stock, track days are hard on everything unless you're going for a "bicycle ride" which I assume you are not considering you spent the time researching how to get 500 hp and spent the money to get it!
Yes some oils are used in race cars but only for one race.
I'd rather have doubts about the condition of my oil while sitting at a red light than when the tachometer needle is pegged on a 100F degree day at a race track.
Great car! Enjoy!

Unnecessary.

He's not racing competitively, he's doing track days - and in a car with oil temperature completely under control. A 5,000 mile OCI will suit him fine.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Unnecessary.

He's not racing competitively, he's doing track days - and in a car with oil temperature completely under control. A 5,000 mile OCI will suit him fine.

Agreed. These engines have a big air-to-oil heat exchanger to keep oil temps in check. If it were me, I would do a 5k OCI but consider miles driven at the track double or triple miles. The effective OCI would be shorter than 5k miles depending on # of track miles logged.

@555 no bicycle rides during my track days
grin.gif
Advanced/Instructor group at 10.5/10ths!

After all of the very helpful replies in this thread the only thing that has me not completely sold on M1 FS 0W-40, Castrol Edge 0W-40 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 is their HTHS is virtually the same as BMW's LL-01 minimum requirement of 3.5 which makes me wonder if any of these oils will provide improved protection in critical areas while running on the track. Assuming the three oils I listed and BMW's TwinPower Turbo 0W-30 all have an HTHS of between 3.5 and 3.6 it doesn't seem like much has been gained, hence my question about the Motul with 4.0 or maybe even Redline 5W-40 at 4.4.

No doubt I am overthinking this so *flame suit on*

LL-01 does not have a HTHS requirement of 3.5. LL-01 oils are based on the A3/B4 standard which has a 3.5 minimum. There's many LL-01 oils with HTHS of 3.6 or 3.7.

The TwinPower Turbo 0W-30 in your car is the LL-01 FE (fuel economy) version, which has a HTHS of only about 3.0, as it is based on the A5/B5 standard.

From a HTHS standpoint, any LL-01 oil would be a big improvement over what you're running now.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
LL-01 does not have a HTHS requirement of 3.5. LL-01 oils are based on the A3/B4 standard which has a 3.5 minimum. There's many LL-01 oils with HTHS of 3.6 or 3.7.

The TwinPower Turbo 0W-30 in your car is the LL-01 FE (fuel economy) version, which has a HTHS of only about 3.0, as it is based on the A5/B5 standard.

From a HTHS standpoint, any LL-01 oil would be a big improvement over what you're running now.

LL01 has minimum requirement of 3.5cp.

So doesn't that mean that a standard BMW-branded 0W-30 could have nearly the same HTHS as these 40wt oils?

Mobil1 FS 0W-40 3.6
P Platinum Euro 5W-40 3.6
Castrol Edge 0W-40 = unknown but I read somewhere 3.6

If HTHS is a good barometer for how the oil will protect on the track under severe use wouldn't bumping up from BMW's 3.5 to +/- 4.0 be a good move? The heavier oils also seem to have lower Noack numbers.

Redline 5W-40 4.4 (6% Noack)
Redline 0W-40 4.0 (9% Noack)
Motul 300V 5W-40 4.1 (8.6% Noack)
Millers CFS NT+ 5W-40 3.97 **wildcard with unknown HTHS but reportedly an impressive oil for track use

I am really trying to not wear out my welcome here by beating a dead horse but these questions keep lingering
18.gif

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Buy jug each of Motul 300v 5w30 and 5w40. Use entire 30 jug and remainder to full level of 40 weight. Go have fun
cool.gif

Why.

Originally Posted by ringmaster
So doesn't that mean that a standard BMW-branded 0W-30 could have nearly the same HTHS as these 40wt oils?

BMW branded 0W-30 is not LL-01, it is LL-01 FE (fuel economy) and the HTHS is around 3.0. I've said this like 3 times in this thread.

As I said earlier, any LL-01 oil will be an improvement over the FE oil you're using now.

Last edited:

Mobil1 FS 0W-40 3.6
P Platinum Euro 5W-40 3.6
Castrol Edge 0W-40 = unknown but I read somewhere 3.6

If HTHS is a good barometer for how the oil will protect on the track under severe use wouldn't bumping up from BMW's 3.5 to +/- 4.0 be a good move? The heavier oils also seem to have lower Noack numbers.

Redline 5W-40 4.4 (6% Noack)
Redline 0W-40 4.0 (9% Noack)
Motul 300V 5W-40 4.1 (8.6% Noack)
Millers CFS NT+ 5W-40 3.97 **wildcard with unknown HTHS but reportedly an impressive oil for track use

I am really trying to not wear out my welcome here by beating a dead horse but these questions keep lingering
18.gif

0W30 BMW TPT is not standard BMW oil, it is an attempt of BMW North America to address short grocery trips that Americans are known for.
LL01 FE is older spec. but not widely used. In Europe LL01 was go to oil until ULSG was introduced when LL04 became and still is oil of choice. Even new B438, 48 and 58 engines are recommended for LL04 in Europe.
You are too hang up on these oils and HTHS. FYI, Castrol 0W40 has HTHS of 3.7cp. Redline looks good on paper, but it is not approved, regardless what Redline claims. Is it good oil, yes, but there is that lingering question of why if it is that good, Redlne developed another oil to get approval which is mediocre at best?
I told you already that my choice would be Castrol 0W40.

Last edited:
Everyone here has been very patient with me, especially 1JZ_E46 and edyvw.

Since most of the contributors in this thread know more about oil than I do I will defer to the recommendations that have been made and I think everyone here will agree that my S55 engine should stay healthy with 5k OCIs using any one of these three oils.

Mobil1 FS 0W-40 3.6
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 3.6 *the latest SN+ version
Castrol Edge 0W-40 3.7

Everyone here has been very patient with me, especially 1JZ_E46 and edyvw.

Since most of the contributors in this thread know more about oil than I do I will defer to the recommendations that have been made and I think everyone here will agree that my S55 engine should stay healthy with 5k OCIs using any one of these three oils.

Mobil1 FS 0W-40 3.6
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 3.6 *the latest SN+ version
Castrol Edge 0W-40 3.7

You will be fine, though I am confused with PP 5W40 and pour point of -36. I hope that is minimum -36, as if it is -36, that is not good for GTL and that means that oil is probably majority Group III.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back