BMW M4 (S55 twin turbo) Oil for summer/track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
M1 0W-40 is not a race oil. It is an API / ACEA licensed oil with approvals and specifications to be used in on-road vehicles. It just so happens to also be used by certain race teams with M1 sponsorships.

So it is used straight from the bottle in race-winning Porsches, but it's not a race oil?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
M1 0W-40 is not a race oil. It is an API / ACEA licensed oil with approvals and specifications to be used in on-road vehicles. It just so happens to also be used by certain race teams with M1 sponsorships.

So it is used straight from the bottle in race-winning Porsches, but it's not a race oil?

If I fly a stock Cessna 210 in a Red Bull air race, is it now a race plane?

I would consider changing the oil early after an event.

For best results, when you head to the track, there should always be a fresh sump of oil in your car with a fresh filter. That way you can 100% guarantee that the oil in the sump is performing in spec.

Do you have an oil temperature gauge? if not? Get and oil temperature gauge
Do you have an oil pressure gauge? if not? Get an oil pressure gauge

If you find you're loosing oil pressure or seeing temps above 115°C you need to re-assess your oil cooling solution.
Once you've got your oil temps under control, stick with a >3.5HTHS 30W or 40W quality synthetic f your choice.
Despite what you might think you wont find any 50W or 60W oil in the paddock of any professional motorsport series. They're in the business of reducing internal friction as much as possible to extract the most possible crankshaft power possible within the rules. In order to achieve the they keep their oil temps in check.

If you're serious you should be using the same oil all the time for consistency and having a sample sent to the lab after each race meeting.

Regards
Jordan

Oh you'll find that these day's that most race teams (especially in Europe, Asia and Australia) are using commercially available oils that are available to you and me. Indy Car in-fact demand (it's in the class rules) that teams are only allowed to use 'off-the-shelf' oils. So for example Team Penski use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 as their race oil in all events (Pennzoil sponsorship.) Same oil that's a factory fill in all Dodge SRT and on the shelf at autozone
wink.gif

Outside Formula 1 and Nascar the cost to have custom blended oils made is just far too expensive for teams. And as Indy have done, some series specifically state that: 'no custom blended oils can be used.' That's not to say some companies don't sell 'race oils,' of course there are products marketed as such. It's just that so long as they're publicly available they're fair game for restricted series.

In addition, I know that in Australia no teams in the Australian Touring Car Championship use bespoke blended oils. In-fact it's a great marketing campaign for the oil sponsors to show their commercially available products in the race paddock being used in race winning cars.

Not the same thing at all, but you know that.

Originally Posted by JFAllen
Oh you'll find that these day's that most race teams (especially in Europe, Asia and Australia) are using commercially available oils that are available to you and me. Indy Car in-fact demand (it's in the class rules) that teams are only allowed to use 'off-the-shelf' oils. So for example Team Penski use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 as their race oil in all events (Pennzoil sponsorship.) Same oil that's a factory fill in all Dodge SRT and on the shelf at autozone
wink.gif

Outside Formula 1 and Nascar the cost to have custom blended oils made is just far too expensive for teams. And as Indy have done, some series specifically state that: 'no custom blended oils can be used.' That's not to say some companies don't sell 'race oils,' of course there are products marketed as such. It's just that so long as they're publicly available they're fair game for restricted series.

In addition, I know that in Australia no teams in the Australian Touring Car Championship use bespoke blended oils. In-fact it's a great marketing campaign for the oil sponsors to show their commercially available products in the race paddock being used in race winning cars.

So NASCAR uses same internal components as regular cars?
While oil regulation is OK, and teams used off the shelf oils in numerous championships, especially hill races in Europe, that does not mean components are same.

M1 or Castrol 0W-40 would be my choice. I run BMW TPT 5W-30 in my N55 when I track it; no issues so far.

Not the same thing at all, but you know that.

My point is that just because you use a component engineered for a street vehicle in a race car, that doesn't mean it's a "race" component. It just means it's a street component that can handle the abuse of racing. Having said that, a component specifically engineered for racing would perform better in a race environment. I can think of dozens of street components that work on race cars, but for which there are better, race-specific parts available.

My point is that just because you use a component engineered for a street vehicle in a race car, that doesn't mean it's a "race" component. It just means it's a street component that can handle the abuse of racing. Having said that, a component specifically engineered for racing would perform better in a race environment. I can think of dozens of street components that work on race cars, but for which there are better, race-specific parts available.

His M4 is not a race car and he isn't racing competitively. It is a car proven to have temperatures under control on track.

You are right, a factory "street" component that can't handle competitive racing gets replaced with a custom part that can. Something OP will find out about his brakes. However, a factory part that can handle racing stays - why wouldn't it? Why your LL01 suggestion? Isn't that an inferior "street" component? Why Redline or Motul? Won't those "race" oils be no good for the street? "Cheap insurance," right?

The OP has nothing to gain from Motul or Redline except a cooler sticker to put on his car. Seems that the marketing bug has bitten.

His M4 is not a race car and he isn't racing competitively. It is a car proven to have temperatures under control on track.

You are right, a factory "street" component that can't handle competitive racing gets replaced with a custom part that can. Something OP will find out about his brakes. However, a factory part that can handle racing stays - why wouldn't it? Why your LL01 suggestion? Isn't that an inferior "street" component? Why Redline or Motul? Won't those "race" oils be no good for the street? "Cheap insurance," right?

The OP has nothing to gain from Motul or Redline except a cooler sticker to put on his car. Seems that the marketing bug has bitten.

I think we both agree that M1 0W-40 FS is a great oil with a track record to back it up. We're just going around on semantics
smile.gif

I think we both agree that M1 0W-40 FS is a great oil with a track record to back it up. We're just going around on semantics
smile.gif

Amen! At this point I am willing to consider this case closed, although it could be entertaining to watch the thread continue
wink.gif

Seriously though I appreciate the amount of thought and debate that has gone into helping me choose the most appropriate oil for this application but unless anyone seriously objects M1 FS 0W-40 will be poured into my S55 as soon as the weather warms up.....unless this gang thinks M1 0W-40 will be just as good for freezing winter cold starts as the BMW Twinpower Turbo Ll-01 Fe 0W30, in which case I could really simplify my life and one run oil all of the time.

Great choice.

They are both 0W rated oil, so will both provide equal cold weather start up performance. If it were me, I'd get that fuel economy oil out of there asap
smile.gif

Now get out and track that thang.

Great choice.

They are both 0W rated oil, so will both provide equal cold weather start up performance. If it were me, I'd get that fuel economy oil out of there asap
smile.gif

Now get out and track that thang.

I'd run it year round as well.

Done and done! M1 isn't a sexy choice but for this application I am convinced it will work well
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by madeej11
Ringmaster, is a stout 10w30 out of the question?

Yes.

Why? Not worried about warranty. I believe a solid 10w30 would better withstand a pounding than 0w40.

Yes.

Why? Not worried about warranty. I believe a solid 10w30 would better withstand a pounding than 0w40.

So in your opinion, a low-HTHS ILSAC 10W-30 is what his engine needs?

Get a clue man.

Get a clue man.

I was going to respond to his post but just didn't have the energy. Not worth it.

madeej11 said:

Yes.

Get a clue man. [/quoteTwo of the OP's choices in his original post list were 30 weights, besides isn't that 0w40 you're talking about on the thin side of a 40 and prone to shearing easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back