BMW M4 (S55 twin turbo) Oil for summer/track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 30 weights and then there are 30 weights. What's important is the HTHS. A GF-5 30 weight is like comparing a 0W-20 to a GF-5 5W-30.

Also, I put it this way:

Option A: a race proven oil, engineered around European engines and European OEM specifications

Option B: some 10W-30 that you regularly find in a 90s Chevy Silverado that's "bEtTeR bEcAuSe iT hAs LeSs VII mAn"

Originally Posted by ringmaster
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

His M4 is not a race car and he isn't racing competitively. It is a car proven to have temperatures under control on track.

You are right, a factory "street" component that can't handle competitive racing gets replaced with a custom part that can. Something OP will find out about his brakes. However, a factory part that can handle racing stays - why wouldn't it? Why your LL01 suggestion? Isn't that an inferior "street" component? Why Redline or Motul? Won't those "race" oils be no good for the street? "Cheap insurance," right?

The OP has nothing to gain from Motul or Redline except a cooler sticker to put on his car. Seems that the marketing bug has bitten.

I think we both agree that M1 0W-40 FS is a great oil with a track record to back it up. We're just going around on semantics
smile.gif

Amen! At this point I am willing to consider this case closed, although it could be entertaining to watch the thread continue
wink.gif

Seriously though I appreciate the amount of thought and debate that has gone into helping me choose the most appropriate oil for this application but unless anyone seriously objects M1 FS 0W-40 will be poured into my S55 as soon as the weather warms up.....unless this gang thinks M1 0W-40 will be just as good for freezing winter cold starts as the BMW Twinpower Turbo Ll-01 Fe 0W30, in which case I could really simplify my life and one run oil all of the time.

Do you have access to Castrol 0W40? IMO it is better than M1 0W40 FS and pour point of Castrol 0W40 is -60c.

Do you have access to Castrol 0W40? IMO it is better than M1 0W40 FS and pour point of Castrol 0W40 is -60c.

Yes but I am unclear as to whether or not there are multiple versions? The local vendors carry:

Castrol Edge Fluid Titanium Technology
0W-40 A3/B4 API SN/CF
Made in Germany

Yes but I am unclear as to whether or not there are multiple versions? The local vendors carry:

0W-40 A3/B4 API SN/CF
Made in Germany

That's the one Edy is referring to. However, it's really just opinion as to which is better, Castrol or M1.

There are 30 weights and then there are 30 weights. What's important is the HTHS. A GF-5 30 weight is like comparing a 0W-20 to a GF-5 5W-30.

Also, I put it this way:

Option A: a race proven oil, engineered around European engines and European OEM specifications

Option B: some 10W-30 that you regularly find in a 90s Chevy Silverado that's "bEtTeR bEcAuSe iT hAs LeSs VII mAn"

What do you think the difference in hths is? Not much at all. 10w30 can be had at 3.6. Not to mention over 5k of hot hard running those twin turbos might not be happy with that burnt on maple syrup from that Mobil 0-40. Might be ok for FF on Vettes but hardly the same application here. By the way this vehicle will be used in warmer months which was mentioned beginning of paragraph three in OP's original post which you seemingly forgot in a couple of your posts. OP also said he didn't see the need for 0w but it seems like you finally got to him. Too much defending of an overrated oil here.

M1 FS 0W-40 s a proven oil - a race proven oil, as discussed above.

Do you have a "stout" 10W-30 in mind, or is it imaginary? Even Redline's 10W-30 only has an HTHS of 3.5 and if you're going to spend the money on Redline, why would you not buy their 0W/5W-40?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W40 - for the street
Motul 300V 5W30 or 5W40 - for track (higher HTHS of 4.1)

But you will also be fine with M1 0W40

I remember back in the days when i worked for a race team, we used Motul 300V 15W50 on the Ferraris (360 and 355). Before the 12H endurance race, we would dump the 8L of used oil, put in 8L again, run the engine at iddle for 15 min, dump it again and than fill it and race.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeoStrop

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W40 - for the street
Motul 300V 5W30 or 5W40 - for track (higher HTHS of 4.1)

But you will also be fine with M1 0W40

I remember back in the days when i worked for a race team, we used Motul 300V 15W50 on the Ferraris (360 and 355). Before the 12H endurance race, we would dump the 8L of used oil, put in 8L again, run the engine at iddle for 15 min, dump it again and than fill it and race.

You believe the 8100 X-cess 5W-40 is better for this application than the Castrol or M1 0W-40 oils? Better base stock or less VIs or something else?

Wow your Ferrari team must have had a large oil budget! Was that procedure just to ensure the engine had spotlessly clean oil before the race?

0W-40 A3/B4 API SN/CF
Made in Germany

0W40 is Castrol's premium product.
Multiple version of Castrol are 5W40. European 5W40 is substantially different from Castrol Edge 5W40 Made in US.
Castrol 0W40 is same, as it is their top product.
Mobil1 was the one that confused everyone when they abandoned VISOM base for GTL, and IMO seriously watered down their product. Also, that ash level is ridiculously high as well as TBN, which IMO indicates long present M1 problem of TBN retention.

You believe the 8100 X-cess 5W-40 is better for this application than the Castrol or M1 0W-40 oils? Better base stock or less VIs or something else?

Hard to tell, both are great products. There are dozens of UOA and VOA of the Motul from the user GermanAutohaus here on BITOG if you want to analyze.

Wow your Ferrari team must have had a large oil budget! Was that procedure just to ensure the engine had spotlessly clean oil before the race?

Yes, and also because i think that engine holds quite a bit of used oil. That was the recommendation from the italian engineer that "came with the car".

Originally Posted by harrydog
Why not Red Line 5w-30 HTHS 3.7 - NOACK 6
or
5w-40 HTHS 4.4 - NOACK 6

You're a little late to the party. OP chose M1 0W-40, which is a solid choice. Plus, with M1, you can change it 3x as often for the same price or cheaper.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
M1 FS 0W-40 s a proven oil - a race proven oil, as discussed above.

Do you have a "stout" 10W-30 in mind, or is it imaginary? Even Redline's 10W-30 only has an HTHS of 3.5 and if you're going to spend the money on Redline, why would you not buy their 0W/5W-40?

Maybe Dominator 10w30 hths 3.6 might be suitable. Could be my friend Harvey the rabbit's suggestion...

or
5w-40 HTHS 4.4 - NOACK 6

You're a little late to the party. OP chose M1 0W-40, which is a solid choice. Plus, with M1, you can change it 3x as often for the same price or cheaper.

It was more of a rhetorical question, but given the OP's original post I would think he would want something better than Mobil 1 0w-40. I know I would given his situation.
My search is for a robust oil to use during warm months on the street and track with 5k OCIs. The 0W cold start spec is less important to me but I want an oil with a decent HTHS that won't shear out of grade and since the S55 is a direct injection Turbo engine I believe that a low Noack % would be desirable to reduce carbon deposits.

or
5w-40 HTHS 4.4 - NOACK 6

It was more of a rhetorical question, but given the OP's original post I would think he would want something better than Mobil 1 0w-40. I know I would given his situation.
My search is for a robust oil to use during warm months on the street and track with 5k OCIs. The 0W cold start spec is less important to me but I want an oil with a decent HTHS that won't shear out of grade and since the S55 is a direct injection Turbo engine I believe that a low Noack % would be desirable to reduce carbon deposits.

Why you think Redline would be better than M1?

I apologize in advance for prolonging this thread but I just came across a couple of oils that appear to be perfect for my street + track requirement. Can anyone comment on these as viable options?

"PAO (poly-alpha-olefin) based fully synthetic multigrade engine oil with USVO® Technology." "Due to the special mixture of synthetic, highly polar Group V base oils with a high proportion of high and low viscosity PAO, it could be formulated without the use of viscosity index improvers."

5W-30
HTHS 3.7
Noack 6.2
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-rep-sae-5w-30.html

5W-40
HTHS 3.9
Noack 6.0
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-rup-sae-5w-40.html

ringmaster, Ravenol oil looks great on paper. Good for your application at those HTHS numbers, no problem. Can be ordered at https://www.blauparts.com/ravenol_oils/ravenol_oils_fluids_toc.html or Amazon has some varieties too.
The Russian Oil Club has reported some weird behavior they think --- allegedly --- Ravenol is guilty of, as in batch quality control. Also, it appears Ravenol was caught putting in the wrong oil in a jug labelled to be another oil, on this bitog forum recently. So I don't know. Some reason to believe they might get sloppy. Emphasis, just suspicions right now. Can we trust them?

LL04 (ACEA C3) technically are not approved by BMW for gas engines in the US. Either would be fine on a reduced (5k) change interval but that seems a little pricey.

Just a FYI the Ravenol American site states "tested" for LL04 but no formal approval whereas the german site states formal approval under LL04.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back