BMW E90 Thrust Arm Bushings

Alignment is always required when suspension components (except sway bars) are replaced.

Maybe you should inspect your vehicle before firing the parts cannon.
Forums and bmw training say not required alignment after tension struts are replaced.

And I can move the arm by hand. I have the video somewhere

Pro-tip: Be certain to torque the arms with the suspension raised up as close to resting height as safely possible. Tightening everything down with the suspension at full droop will prematurely tear the bushings.

When I swapped these bushings on my project E90 they were trashed because of this. Date stamp indicated they were only 3 years old too...

This does not apply to monoball arms, and certain types of poly with floating metal sleeves (so long as it's not a caster adjustable bushing).

Pro-tip: Be certain to torque the arms with the suspension raised up as close to resting height as safely possible. Tightening everything down with the suspension at full droop will prematurely tear the bushings.

When I swapped these bushings on my project E90 they were trashed because of this. Date stamp indicated they were only 3 years old too...

This does not apply to monoball arms, and certain types of poly with floating metal sleeves (so long as it's not a caster adjustable bushing).
Yes my BMW manual gave body height measurements for this.

For sure, thanks!

I thought I would update:

I got the Lemforder bushings, bolts and captive nuts

I will do it next week. I will update on feeling and if it cured wheel movement while braking

Thanks again. The bushings seem well made

I will do it next week. I will update on feeling and if it cured wheel movement while braking

Are they oil filled?

Are they both made in the same country? I'm just curious.

Are they both made in the same country? I'm just curious.
The replacement I bought is made in Germany. I paid $35.19 for both bushings
1686970165386.jpg

You own the tools to press the bushings in/out?
My dad does at work. He has done hundreds of bushings. We watched videos to make sure which way to press it and other tips

It will be a 2 day repair

1 day for control arm removal. Next day for new bushing and reinstalling arm.

The replacement hardware is also made in Germany.

One concern I have though is the bolt on the right looks different than the other bolt

1687005998022.jpg

The E 28 suspension was tender. Larger wheels and tires shortened the life too. Combine with a few track runs or the Tail of the Dragon or just plain spirited driving and.. An E-28 enthusiast modified a mono ball to replace the stock bushing. Also, the only parts in the front end of an E 28 that changed the alignment when replaced were the tie rods and the cross arm. Lets put it this way. I got very proficient at R+R'ing the front end parts. :cool:

You can beat out the old ones and press in the new ones.

Depending upon access and space, you may want to use a slide hammer to help get the old ones out, rather than beating them. It helped a lot on one of ours.

IMG_4728.jpeg

One I had to beat out. Not the end of the world. I bought a chisel sometime back for another beating project. I found the one with the biggest shaft and hitting head I could, cut off the chisel point, and I had a 1” solid punch.

You can make your own tools with all thread and nuts. One thing to keep in mind is the need for thrust bearings on these homemade presses.

You can beat out the old ones and press in the new ones.

Depending upon access and space, you may want to use a slide hammer to help get the old ones out, rather than beating them. It helped a lot on one of ours.

View attachment 161954

One I had to beat out. Not the end of the world. I bought a chisel sometime back for another beating project. I found the one with the biggest shaft and hitting head I could, cut off the chisel point, and I had a 1” solid punch.

You can make your own tools with all thread and nuts. One thing to keep in mind is the need for thrust bearings on these homemade presses.
Ok. I will update on progress.

Hopefully I don’t need to beat them out 😂

I got car on jackstands

I just did the coolant flange and coolant refill

I had to remove 24 bolts on undertray 😔

Back