Bilstein shock boot and bump stops

JHZR2

Staff member
I’m doing the guide rod mounts and control arm bushings on my 91 mb 350sd. Bit by bit and slowly because of too many other work and kids distractions.

All good except when I hit hiccups.

On the first side when I pulled the shock absorber it was so stiff. I could barely move it. It worked really well. Now I’m doing the second side. Shock absorber has a very soft section and then a more firm section indicating to me that it is no longer good so I’m going to replace them both.

I bought a set of Bilstein HD shocks, and I was surprised when I opened the box and didn’t find any bops or dust covers. The instructions say to reuse whatever you had before. I’ve done a few sets of these cars, and frankly, I don’t remember if they came with or if I reuse parts.

IMG_0865.jpeg
IMG_0866.jpeg
IMG_0867.jpeg

The shots that are on the car, have a metal dust cover and it’s not a part that looks like it’s intended to be removed. It’s not going to fit onto the Bilstein shock.

I don’t exactly know what to get. The dust boot, stop, and rubber bushing and washers all go any specific sequence, so I think the dust boot has to be something very specific. How do I find the parts that I need since reusing them is not an option?

Hmmm. Did you double check the part number? Those B4 series shock is intended as an OE replacement I’m surprised they’re not “drop in”. The yellow B8 series usually come with a blue boot or plastic dust cover.
I just checked Rock Auto, they do not provide the dust cover, but the Sachs does.
For what it’s worth Sachs is every bit as good as the Bilstein. I have 170k mi on my original equipment Sachs and they’re still doing what they should with no leaking or seepage at all.
Edit: the part number listed on RA for your car is different than what you have.

I run into this occasionally with some older Saab where parts are NLA, I measure the shaft with calipers and buy stainless washers in a close size.
Maybe I’m dumb…

I looked again at the Bilstein parts.

IMG_0872.jpeg

One washer for the top? One for the bottom, two rubbers in between.

MB still provides the rubber bellows and the bump stop.

So maybe the dumb washer that I was concerned about was the flat one in the upper left of the hardware in this photo?

We did Bilstein B6 on my wife's GM SUV. The rear shocks have blue boots. The front struts had nothing. I went with GM OE boots and stops.

We did Bilstein B6 on my wife's GM SUV. The rear shocks have blue boots. The front struts had nothing. I went with GM OE boots and stops.
Every set of Bilsteins I’ve bought for my MB cars - a decent number of sets, were all black. I was just always able to reuse the boots and all.

I did put yellow bilsteins on my Saab and my E30 BMW.

Every set of Bilsteins I’ve bought for my MB cars - a decent number of sets, were all black. I was just always able to reuse the boots and all.

I did put yellow bilsteins on my Saab and my E30 BMW.
I actually was afraid B6 was too much shock for a Buick SUV. But our installation proved the ride is all about the springs. The B6 were about the price of GM OE which was the beauty behind the install…which is an upgrade

I'm with car doc, that part number isn't listed for the 91 350SD on Bilstein.com

Otherwise i'm with Trav, suspect you will find boot 32 will have a washer made into it and that the washer provided with the shock is for 14, 26. That's an OE replacement shock so its supposed to work with OE stuff.

The bump stop is already integrated in B6.
IMG_1905.jpeg

In our case, from part #14 and straight up, we used GM OE. 7 is original, and 3 is the B6. 15 is Moog. The B6 lacked the point where the ABS sensor snaps in, but it’s neatly zip tied. Worth it to try the Bilsteins as GM OE struts leak after 60k.

I'm with car doc, that part number isn't listed for the 91 350SD on Bilstein.com

Otherwise i'm with Trav, suspect you will find boot 32 will have a washer made into it and that the washer provided with the shock is for 14, 26. That's an OE replacement shock so its supposed to work with OE stuff.

I’ve bought quite a few sets of Bilstein shocks for Mercedes cars and there have always been two part numbers. There is a comfort model and an HD model. I usually go with the HD model which has slightly different valving, but is still suitable for use with the OEM springs.

I can’t remember if the OEM boot has a washer built into it I don’t think there needs to be another washer besides the one that sits on the little circlip on the shock shaft.

The OE boot and bump stop were actually cheaper buying from the MB Classic Center with free shipping!

Hopefully the one washer is enough.

I recently put B6 heavy duty Bilstiens inverted struts/ rear shocks on my 14 Passat TDI and bought new billows and bump stops because the new ones didnt come with them, then i couldnt get them to fit, I emailed bilstien and they answered the next day and said they were not required at all with the b6's, although yours dont look like the b6's.

I recently put B6 heavy duty Bilstiens inverted struts/ rear shocks on my 14 Passat TDI and bought new billows and bump stops because the new ones didnt come with them, then i couldnt get them to fit, I emailed bilstien and they answered the next day and said they were not required at all with the b6's, although yours dont look like the b6's.
Right, mine are monotube gas charged OE replacement. The new nomenclature is B4 I guess, but forever they’ve been HD and Comfort specified.

MB Classic Center to the rescue.

IMG_1174.jpeg

suspect you will find boot 32 will have a washer made into it and that the washer provided with the shock is for 14, 26.

No washer in it. The washer that came with the shock I suspect goes inside against the circlip. This sandwiches in and the rubber ring goes on top.

image.jpg

Back