Some Bilstein B6 shocks/struts are twin tube. Are they still worth using?

The Bilstein B6 front struts for the Subaru Forester SJ (2014-2018) are twintube rather than the traditional monotube that Bilstein usually uses for this line. :mad:

The rear B6 shocks for this platform are still monotube, though.

Mileage about 130k, and there is still an open recall for the rear springs. Subaru will replace the springs for free as part of the recall, but if I'm lucky, I can bring the Bilstein shocks to the dealer and have them install them along with the new spring at no charge since they're doing all the work involved just to replace the spring :sneaky:

If/when the front struts need replacement, they would likely be replaced with KYB quick struts since there seems to be no point in using Bilstein up front if twin tube :unsure:

The advantages and performance of monotube shocks is well known. A question I would ask would be is the performance really needed on a daily driven Forester? Would you notice the twin tube Bilsteins? You'd hope Bilstein would have them valved properly etc. Maybe you drive aggressively and do some rally type driving on the weekends and need it?😉

I was surprised to see the oem shocks and struts on my Lexus GS are KYB. Toyota-grade kybs, I would assume are built to a higher standard than the general KYB replacements, but I don’t know for sure. That said, I’ve had good service from the KYB units on other vehicles, both OEM and aftermarket. I usually go with bilstein because they have also been consistent and quality - BUT I’ve seen them lose their effectiveness sooner than OEM units as well as sachs. We’ve had a few high mileage volvos on their original sachs units, going acceptably strong for DD approaching 200,000 miles. I am not sure what to do with that, so I haven’t drawn any conclusions there.

I put a set of KYB GR2s on a 1997 legacy and was thrilled with them. They rode stiffer, yet would totally break away for something like a speed bump and wouldn’t rattle the teeth. It was more like a go-cart until it totally wasn‘t. I quite liked it and was impressed, having only used oem’s and a couple different Monroe shocks in the past. For a slightly sportier edge, the GR2s were a great damper.

With the larger vehicles, I’ve used Bilsteins. They have been closer to me as an oem ride, meaning, less controlled… or softer, that the KYBs.

I usually go with bilstein because they have also been consistent and quality - BUT I’ve seen them lose their effectiveness sooner than OEM units as well as sachs. We’ve had a few high mileage volvos on their original sachs units, going acceptably strong for DD approaching 200,000 miles.

What Bilsteins are you talking about? I do have quite contrary experiences with Bilstein B6, which the OP asked for. All my Bilstein B6 did last virtually forever, while on all OE Sachs, Monroe, Delphi etc. I could easily feel losing performance before they even hit 50kmls.
I'd always go Bilstein B6 on a private car if I'm not going Öhlins or Penske. Actually Bilstein B6/B8 are almost equal to them.

2 experiences - 2006 tundra TRD oem bilsteins were very shot at 100k. No pressure, dry, and actually crunchy once removed. Also same with oem bilsteins in my bosses Yukon XL, probably about the same vintage and mileage. I’m not sure what model the oem likely compares to.

I realize most of us here will say that all shocks are done well before 100k, but we’ve had a number of DD cars hit 200k with oem shocks still providing service.

in both cases, of course, these were oem bilsteins which may be built to a different price point.

and I’m not knocking bilsteins at all, i go to them more than any else, and have never had a Monroe hold up for any consistent period beyond 30k, though I thought they had a good product with the Reflex and to some degree the sensatrack shocks.

??

-m

There's more to a shock than just twin tube or mono. A twin tube with adequate fluid volume and shock body size to dissipate heat, gas charge to minimize aeration is more than adequate for 95% of people 95% of the time. On truck platforms I've gone from twin tube to monotube (Bilstein 5100) and back to twin tube again. For street use makes no real difference. For extended high speed use NEITHER twin tube or a 46mm piston Bilstein are up to the task. I had KW varient 1 coilovers on a bmw, they were twin tube (then anyway, that was like 2013) and nobody ever complained because they are on the street not Watkins Glen International.

Last edited:
My Gen 1 Tundra TRD came with stock Bilstein shocks. When those wore out I replaced them with KYB, and you know what? The truck handles and rides better with the KYB shocks. If that makes me a minority of one around here, that’s fine..

@wdn - man I appreciate the data point, minority or not. I’ve put bilstein 5100s on both trucks I’ve owned and found them to be comfort biased, still wishing for a little more damping when towing or just carrying stuff in the bed. It seems like they are well tuned for about 250 pounds, which would also equal an empty bed with a camper shell. As soon as there’s anything back there, it starts to get mushy. Considering how easy the rears are, I might try a kyb swap if these soften up much more.

I just got the rear shocks. They are made in Mexico. They have that separate aluminum spring seat perch. It's not welded in place. I was able to slide it on the shock, but it doesn't appear to actually lock in place.

I ordered bump stops from the dealer, but they have not yet arrived.

Thats typical Bilstein construction for spring seats. Probably has a snap ring and a couple of slots to provide some height adjustment.

Good luck with bump stops. Ive had some KYB bump stops and strut mounts ordered since march... last update is December.

Back