Shocks for Silverado Z85 Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Silverado 1500 2WD regular cab shortbox.

Either the streets are getting rougher or my shocks are finally going at just over 100,000 miles. Actually, probably both.

There have been some GM truck shock threads lately, but my question is a little different. I have the Z85 firm suspension option, which I gather from some net research is basically stiffer shocks and maybe a thicker front sway bar.

AC Delco replacement shocks are priced in Bilstein territory, but I'd like to do this job for less cash. I'm looking at two other options.

First, Gabriel Ultras. Steve SRT8 speaks highly of them, and they are less than $30 each. The other is Gabriel Max Control. These are 46mm shocks with a rubber boot instead of the traditional dust shield. (Rock Auto shows an AC Delco shock with the exact same photo in the "Increased Handling/Performance" category, but the Gabriels are cheaper.) A set of these would cost about $80 more than the Ultras.

Would I see a significant (negative) change in ride with either of these over the good OEM shocks? If you have experience with either shock in a 2WD application, I'd like to hear about it.

Gabriel makes decent shocks, Many years ago I worked at a Midas (Don't laugh, I learned a lot from a Tech that had been there 23 years) Gabriel made the shocks for Midas, Ran them on my '69 C10 & the wife's '92 Accord & they worked good 'til both vehicles were sold.

Ever since I installed some Bilstein HD's on my '06 2500HD....I run nothing but Bilstein.

Good shocks are an investment in my opinion, Buy the best & don't look back.

Bilstien HD's if you are planning to keep the truck. They can last surprisingly long. If you are planning to get rid of it soon, Monroe blue shocks are good enough to say to the seller it's got new shocks.

I have Monroe Reflex shocks on my 2000 Silverado, probably put them on 8-10 years ago. Love them. Recently put them on friends truck (same year and model as mine) and he like them. There is a Reflex HD option if you want that, they are stiffer, I did not choose that one foe either truck. At RockAuto they are about 30 buck or so. A week ago they had a rebate.

Last edited:
My first choice is always Bilstein HD on any car/truck they're available for.

The Gabriel Max Control is also a good shock, though.

Other good shocks are KYB MonoMax, Sachs Advantage, and Monroe Reflex.

^^^If he means KYB then I must say we have had two separate issues with them where they would not honor their warranty on our fleet trucks. One broke and one leaked. Not a big name around here.

No such problems with Ultras! As a amatter of fact, they are on 4 different trucks from a Silverado to a 3500 van to a Mazda/Ranger. Work great and hold up well in heavy duty usage.

I love Bilsteins, but they are pricy...

Thanks for all of the ideas. I'm still shopping around, but your information helps.

Another Todd, are you talking about Reflex Monotube or Reflex Light Truck? The LT seems comparable to the Gabriel Ultras.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Thanks for all of the ideas. I'm still shopping around, but your information helps.

Another Todd, are you talking about Reflex Monotube or Reflex Light Truck? The LT seems comparable to the Gabriel Ultras.

The mono tubes are stiffer, I think they are for the Z71 suspension package. I used the Reflex Light Truck shocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back